What's new

Sample Library Concepts - Put Yours Below!!

Well, I think in the examples of Hillary and Satnam, a lot of the 'sound' is down to how they interpret the music, the dynamics, where they put the accents etc. which would be hard to capture in samples considering samples are 'played' by the composer using the library, not the players themselves. I'm not sure how much 'Satnam' would make it into a single drum hit sample, over another player. Perhaps phrase based libraries would be more useful for capturing the playing style of a specific soloist? Or perhaps we should just hire those soloists instead ;)

But I agree - definitely so much to capture in samples that hasn't been captured yet, and the innovative things composers have done with music in the past is a great place to start.

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I love working with soloists. There's truly nothing better than a musician interpreting your notes and adding their own flair to the performance, and if the project has the budget, no doubt I'd go for that instead of using samples.

Hillary's playing has this sort of indescribable elegance. I think Embertone captured Joshua Bell's playing style quite well, but I think with each musician, you get a different emotional reaction to specific notes or a set of instructions. If you tell one player one set of instructions, another player will likely play it differently. I think if that library were a thing though, it would be neat to have some phrases of those arps as you mentioned. It's pretty much impossible to do with multi-samples, even with all those awesome transitions they recorded in JBV.

I think even with different percussionists you get totally different personalities, and as Hans put it, a different commitment to each hit. I couldn't help but be amazed by his energy when I saw him live. I'd just love to be able to hit a note and hear HIM performing it! :)

IMHO inspiration from other artists is always valuable. But Ramin Djwadi Solo Strings? Cinestrings Solo (same cellist as GoT). John Williams Toolkit? Spitfire Symphony Orchestra. It's often so much more about what you do with the notes, more than what the libraries are designed to sound like.

Sample libraries are incredible, and I happily use them every day. But we shouldn't forget one of my favourite examples of what happens when you pick up a microphone and craft a score in its purest meaning... I'm sure Jóhann didn't need a Jóhann Jóhannsson Toolkit for this one

I agree with everything you said, it was a total hypothetical. To be more specific: Think of the JWT (i like your name for it lol) Cinesamples kind of already did it ex: HWW + CS Runs on a HW scoring stage... Now for the RD solo strings it's tricky because he writes amazing for solo's, then he manages to get the right player + capture the sonics & texture brilliantly. ..which also mean the library would need that same player + tracking & mixing engineer (like Hanz Zimmer Perc Pro).
This is a fun topic lol.

After the weird electric 12-string guitar I'm working on now, I'm thinking extended techniques guitar - like, bowing with longs, shorts, ponticello and maybe some straight up scratchy noise, picking with odd objects, that kind of thing.

Also a drum kit with configurable 1950s-early 70s mic setups and both brushes and sticks (including snare stirs, and maybe also playing the cymbals with the ring end of the brush).

I'm sampling bass guitar harmonics in order to be able to play a bit like Michael Manring here
Because I haven't found any Bass guitar harmonics sample library yet

JohnCage.png

True, I have wondered about the dates not lining up, but he could have had access earlier. His demo on the Adagio page sounds right on. It also sounds to me like he used some Century Strings on his symphony-prelude album thing, which would have required early access to that too. He did thank 8dio in the credits, so who knows.

Joking aside, my sample library concept, is a series where each entry is tailored to a single orchestral work, and lets you replicate it exactly. For example, a "Barber Adagio for Strings" library with perfect languid legato string quartet, the full range of the cello (which goes quite high in that piece), rich dynamic range, and zero short articulations.

A Lute sample library that doesn't use full Kontakt.
Same goes for Banjo, Sitar, Biwa, Hako Jamisen and Koto, preferably all in one pack.

Top Bottom