What's new

Sample Library Concepts - Put Yours Below!!

I'd love to get other solo voices recorded (male and female) and turned into playable true legato VIs like Audio Imperia did with Merethe Soltvedt in Jaeger. Not necessarily famous vocalists - just great singing voices. Some safe/generic and some really odd timbres (husky, nasal, ethnic voices from different parts of the world, etc.) I'd be all over that.

Oh, and where can I pre-order Daniel James' Vision of Hans Zimmer Strings? I'd pay $800 for that.
I think it would be awesome to have some super odd Annihilation/Arrival sounding vocals. Super dry, upfront, with a slight pitch wobble. Always found that to be creepy.

There already is a Daniel James pulses, check out the Hybrid Two stuff and Hybrid Tools 1. That's all his. I think the Vangelis idea is great! Has a real CS80 ever been sampled? Not just emulated but actually sampled? That would be pretty awesome. Djawadi solo strings is an instant buy as well haha. What I would give for that GoT solo cello sound!
Yeah, i mean deeper... Ex: B.T. Phobos, Dark Zebra... Wait... 8DIO HT1 is him?

Mozart fed off of inspiration from Bach, Bach fed off of inspiration from Monteverdi, Beethoven fed off of inspiration from Mozart, John Williams fed off of inspiration from Holst. It’s about how you can take the things that your inspired by and make them your own. Taking concepts and combining them, augmenting them, simplifying them, screwing around with them, you get some pretty neat stuff!

You’re talking about melodic/harmonic evolution on the highest level and we’re talking about pre-recorded snippets of music that inform or determine a specific kind of filmscore. These things are different.

I'd love to get other solo voices recorded (male and female) and turned into playable true legato VIs like Audio Imperia did with Merethe Soltvedt in Jaeger. Not necessarily famous vocalists - just great singing voices. Some safe/generic and some really odd timbres (husky, nasal, ethnic voices from different parts of the world, etc.) I'd be all over that.

Oh, and where can I pre-order Daniel James' Vision of Hans Zimmer Strings? I'd pay $800 for that.

Currently working on this beast... Will be out in a few months, stay tuned on vi-c;)

You’re talking about melodic/harmonic evolution on the highest level and we’re talking about pre-recorded snippets of music that inform or determine a specific kind of filmscore. These things are different.

Except that technique, texture, orchestrations, extended techniques are innovations that are passed down from composers to the next generations all the time.

Pizz. as we think of it today is at least argueably a Beethoven innovation (string quartet 10 if I recall). But my favorite example is Wagner, who decided he simply could not write the music he could feel without inventing a whole new tuba. Which of course in now quite standard in large orchestras.

Olafur Arnalds chamber evolutions, at least for the last hour or so, are my Wagner tuba . Or maybe its the clarinets in Tidal orchestra. Or the Vc + Db harmonics in LCO, or the con legno tratto in HZS. I object strenuously to intimations of fanboyism - but please tell me, who’s better, at orchestral scale, at inventing tubas than Spitfire? And their success at tuba inventing comes from their collaborations with artists who’s music just can’t come into existence without new tuba technology (as opposed to merely engineers). OT , for instance, do amazing work at upping the game in conventional virtual tuba technology, but they’re not a tuba inventing company.

Some libraries engineer a better tuba , some invent a whole new tuba. You’ve got to love both.

It’s really nothing more that the innovations going on with synths in recent decades, but now at orchestral scale.

Last edited:
Nonetheless they are techniques and various approaches to the craft. For example, it’s possible to make Hans Zimmer Percussion sound distances away from Hans Zimmer. I’ve even heard people take the Bernard Hermann library and make it sound not like Bernard Hermann but using that specific palette as a starting point.

The sonic world is a different world from the melodic, harmonic and orchestration world, but that doesn’t mean it’s not as important, or the rules regarding evolution are only functional for one and not for the other.

I think it’s important to play around with everything, see what sounds good, try to mess with it a bit, and make music that sounds good to you and hopefully adding your personal dose of creativity to the equation.

What about "N" ? I'm still waiting for that bad boy to come out. Deriously , though, maybe Moya Brennan , Enya or a Lisa Gerrard vocal library.

Top Bottom