What's new

SALE: BBO: Andromeda Expansion Set & Dimension Strings + Bonus Content

Ben one little question...

Is it not possible to tweak the humanization parameter in the synchronized DS, like it could be done in the VI Version? thanks

Ben one little question...

Is it not possible to tweak the humanization parameter in the synchronized DS, like it could be done in the VI Version? thanks
Regarding humanization you have the same possibilities like in the VI Pro Player.

This update is quite a pleasant surprise!... I don't know if more libraries of the BBO collection will get such an update, but that would be quite a treat!...

But I also hope that VSL will be crystal clear with their intentions, if they plan to release complete Brass and Woodwinds Synchron libraries. It's all very cool, but if half of the material was already in the BBO libraries, it becomes suddenly not so sexy.

Synchron-ized Dimension Strings went from not on my radar to one of my favorite purchases in a good while, among a purchase-heavy six-month period. I'm particularly favoring DS1 and DS3, but the bundle price is good enough to go for it, for me.

I haven't written anything with them yet worth exporting, but tinkering around for a couple of hours shows me that
  • The humanization is really powerful;
  • The individual player control is really powerful;
  • The ability to force a string is really powerful and quite welcome;
  • You can get some extremely fast manual repetitions (not even needing to use the repetitions bpm patches) without machine-gunning (this really surprised me); and
  • I shouldn't avoid the Synchron-ized releases as much as I have been.
I'm a little annoyed that I used a large chunk of my vouchers on this instead of saving up for the hopeful, inevitable (?) release of more brass at Synchron Stage Vienna, but let's face it - I have a lot of brass, but this size and shaping for strings was a gap for me.

I will say that if the demos (and a few, prior examples from VI-C users) won't convince you, then there's not much else to show. They're pretty comprehensive and valuable, if you mindfully listen to them and make an attempt to understand how they're building the track(s). Just don't forget to listen to the VI Series versions' demos, as well.

Last edited:
But I also hope that VSL will be crystal clear with their intentions, if they plan to release complete Brass and Woodwinds Synchron libraries. It's all very cool, but if half of the material was already in the BBO libraries, it becomes suddenly not so sexy.
If half of the content is already in BBO, then you would receive a considerable discount if you own the BBO libs. VSL has always done that. The only consideration for me is Synchronized Woodwinds vs waiting for a Synchron Woodwinds. Since they will be new samples, there will be no cross grade, likely.

Then again, I can totally remove the room from the synchronized version, so maybe I would actually prefer that.

I've watched this excellent demo by Stephen Limbaugh last night in my listening room, and it convinced me of the sound/tone of the dimension strings. That had been my worry, that despite all the awesome possibilites this library offers, that I would find it sounding too clinical. By the way: Great piece @Stephen Limbaugh!!

I feel the same as you do about spending a lot of my vouchers on this instead of waiting for the Synchron Brass and a sale on the Synchron Percussion, but indeed this is the library that is most valuable to people that own many full orchestral suites already. This is unique.

Last edited:
The Synchronized series is not a repainting of outdated samples. It is a way to transfer timeless great samples to the most modern player. It's a project with a solid foundation, that is constantly made up-to-date.

Paolo

I've watched this excellent demo by Stephen Limbaugh last night in my listening room, and it convinced me of the sound/tone of the dimension strings. That had been my worry, that despite all the awesome possibilites this library offers, that I would find it sounding too clinical. By the way: Great piece @Stephen Limbaugh!!

I feel the same as you do about spending a lot of my vouchers on this instead of waiting for the Synchron Brass and a sale on the Synchron Percussion, buit indeed this is the library that is most valuable to people that own many full orchestral suites already. This is unique.
I came to same conclusion and just hit send on my email to redeem my vouchers to Best Service. Of course after understanding how the synchron-ized stuff works in Synchron Player, now I'm wondering if Synchron-zed Woodwinds and Synchronized Dimension Brass would ultimately be more versatile than a possible future Synchron Brass/Woodwinds.

The Synchronized series is not a repainting of outdated samples. It is a way to transfer timeless great samples to the most modern player. It's a project with a solid foundation, that is constantly made up-to-date.

Paolo
Some samples do "age," particularly, in regard to the legato transitions. A staff member of a fairly large developer once said that the way they recorded for legato on some early libraries made it unfeasible to re-edit to more modern standards.

That's certainly not the case with Dimension Strings. Someone could have told me that it was recorded and edited in 2020, and I'd have believed them.

Some samples do "age," particularly, in regard to the legato transitions. A staff member of a fairly large developer once said that the way they recorded for legato on some early libraries made it unfeasible to re-edit to more modern standards.
@Gingerbread
Posted in Sep 2020

"
I remember a little while ago, Mike Patti admitted that in the early years, they hadn't realized how important it was to "police" the musicians while recording, to produce very consistent legato. There's not much they can do, coding-wise, to improve it.

Sonore was among the first libraries they made where they truly got the legato right, by being very vigilant during the recording phase."

My recollection is Patti said that "policing" was especially important right after lunch.

I finally fell for the Standard DS1 to VI Standard Dim Bundle upgrade. I refrained from switching to the full version because there is less need for this content at the moment.
I discovered with pleasure suddenly the sordino, sul tasto, and the ponticello bonus. Even if at the moment I only use Dim Str for their intimate aspect, I think that may change with the sordino and sul tasto articulation. I really like the rendering of basses and cellos.
As a bonus, it's nice but it's a bit special.
I still like the VIP engine which allows a lot of finesse and possibility in the instrument play.
Always also this beautiful quality of sampling, which even allows me to use the separate players as a solo library (well almost). And I, who wanted to move away from libraries that were too dry to go more towards turnkey (without synchronized which is not my thing for the moment), I realize that it is still useful for me to have precisely dry instruments (of quality) to be less dependent on the final rendering in the composition.
Besides, even if "I try" to use MiR Pro correctly, for a lot of tracks I often just use the VIP algo reverb and frankly it sounds pretty good.
However, some renderings on the violin side, and some articulations lack realism in legato and sus vib. Forced to adjust. Thereupon, big point in advance for BBCSO at spitfire for example whose legato is top.

Hi @Ben,
I didn't install the Dimension Strings bonuses yet, but I will soon :) I saw the installer available on myvsl. I work with a composer in the same studio, he also own DS, but he doesn't see the installer for the bonuses on his "myvsl". I checked with him and it's not there. Is there something special to do ?
Thanks in advance for your help :)
Guillaume

Top Bottom