What's new

SA Mural/ Sable Con Sordino strings legato? / Or only LASS LS?

Hello Spitfire / LASS users,

Maybe I am overlooking it, but I cannot find VI, VI2, VA, VC con sordino strings legato in Spitfire libraries. Apart from the Albion limited range legato sustains I cannot find them in the other library articulation sheets.

Is this therefore better achieved by LASS legato sordino library?
PS 1: how is the legato sordino emulation in LASS 2.5 full? Does it match the sound or is it too "artificial"?
PS 2: Since I only own 2 libraries from Spitfire, do any of you feel that the legato patches in general (generalism, sorry) are less good then f.e. LASS?

Thank you in advance!

Sable does have con sordino legato patches. They were added in an update released earlier this year - it doesn't look like they've updated the articulation list on the site accordingly, but they should be there if you have the latest version. I believe they belong to volume 3 though.

Maybe I am overlooking it, but I cannot find VI, VI2, VA, VC con sordino strings legato in Spitfire libraries.
You're not overlooking it. Mural doesn't have legato con sords.

I find myself using longs more and more anyway. In my experience the legatos in Mural are really hit and miss in their playability and sound. The violas are particularly egregious in my opinion. But the long sordinos sound lovely.

Spitfire's Chamber Strings (Sable) doesn't show it on the site but they have Legato articulations for Normale (both arco and tremolo), Con Sordino, Sul Pont, Sul G, Flautando, and Harmonics. These articulations are found in the Legato Decorative palette (vol 1+3+4) for Violin 1 and Cello and the Legato Decorative palette (vol 2+3+4) for the rest of the strings. Again, these aren't mentioned on the site anywhere that I can see but Sable does come with them.

Glad to hear, SA does have them.
In the Sable range, can you tell if they are in the full Violin, viola, cello playing range, or are they limited like with Albion 1( not one, but 1, you know the 1 I mean)

Thank you all for your responses !

@scarred bunny: you don't look scarred :)
@darris: thank you for the specifics
@tack: strange that Mural doesn't have them (yet)

Last edited:
I'm surprised actually that sordino legato is missing in Mural. Am I the only one who finds that to be a very important patch that should have been in vol 2, or vol 3?

Reactions: Vik
I'm surprised actually that sordino legato is missing in Mural. Am I the only one who finds that to be a very important patch that should have been in vol 2, or vol 3?
No. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be done with Mural, and one main thing is that Mural 3 should have the same stuff Sable 3 had.

Mural 2 was announced in 2013 ( https://vi-control.net/community/threads/spitfire-mural-vol-2-released.35617/ ) – but Mural still hasn't been updated to have what Sable 3 had (nor has critical bugs been fixed). Does it really take that long to produce a proper/complete update?
Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 22.03.22.png
Part of the problem, I guess, is that Spitfire at some point decided to redo the UI for Sable, and when they have done that, I'm sure they'll use the new UI/concept for Mural as well. Therefore it may make little sense to first make an updated Mural 3 and then remanufacture all that work into a new, redone Mural along the lines of the transformation from Sable to Spitfire Chamber Strings, with the goodies that came with the last update.

There are many threads about Mural here, so I guess there are many users as well. I, for one, feel that it was a mistake to buy Mural, and additional it feels like a situation where I want to contact Spitfire and ask if I can "covert" my purchase into a SCS purchase, since Mural neither works as advertised or is being updated within in a reasonable time frame.

I think it was easier for Spitfire to do all the sampling and updates with Sable first before making all experiences with a full symphonic string section.
As the update process for chamber strings is done (at least I belive it's successfully completed) I'm in good hope Mural will follow.

Top Bottom