What's new

SA! Jazz Horns Released by Straight Ahead Samples

Rasmus Hartvig

Just played around with this for the first time. Wow. Sounds lovely, and will definitely bring a great deal more realism to my big band mockups. Well done guys - lots of stuff to love right from the get go!

I do however have problems with the chord tracking that seems somewhat unreliable. Sometimes it doesn't track chord changes for a while, and often it fails to recognize a simple minor chord in simple root position.
Is this something you are aware of / in the process of patching?

OP
StraightAheadSamples

StraightAheadSamples

Just played around with this for the first time. Wow. Sounds lovely, and will definitely bring a great deal more realism to my big band mockups. Well done guys - lots of stuff to love right from the get go!

Thanks Rasmus.

I do however have problems with the chord tracking that seems somewhat unreliable. Sometimes it doesn't track chord changes for a while, and often it fails to recognize a simple minor chord in simple root position.
Is this something you are aware of / in the process of patching?

Yes. We are aware of it. It seems to be a bit sticky in general. We are working on that, and a long list of other little bugs, for a 1.1 As well as, making a walkthrough vid, of some little practices that help keep the chord automation in sync with the melodic phrase you're working with.

We're very much thinking of this as a living library. We'll still be tweaking it and improving it into the future so it can be the best library possible.

Rasmus Hartvig

We are working on that, and a long list of other little bugs, for a 1.1 As well as, making a walkthrough vid, of some little practices that help keep the chord automation in sync with the melodic phrase you're working with.

We're very much thinking of this as a living library. We'll still be tweaking it and improving it into the future so it can be the best library possible.

Great to hear. I'm really looking forward to putting this to good use. So far it's very inspiring.

One little additional wish: Repeated notes are a little obvious in the harmonised sections. Although you probably have the raw materials for it, additional round robins would make a big size increase. So how about implementing a little fake neighbour borrowing round robin feature? I don't know if it would sound too "processed" given your sample intervals, but it would be nice to have as a switchable option.

OP
StraightAheadSamples

StraightAheadSamples

Great to hear. I'm really looking forward to putting this to good use. So far it's very inspiring.

One little additional wish: Repeated notes are a little obvious in the harmonised sections. Although you probably have the raw materials for it, additional round robins would make a big size increase. So how about implementing a little fake neighbour borrowing round robin feature? I don't know if it would sound too "processed" given your sample intervals, but it would be nice to have as a switchable option.

no promises, but we're trying it out as we type.

Rasmus Hartvig

I played around with it some more today, and it actually seems like it's more the top lead voice that needs variations for repeated lines. In a thickened line, that would probably be enough to give the illusion that even the rest of the voices have round robins.

Thanks for trying it out!

OP
StraightAheadSamples

StraightAheadSamples

Hello everyone,
The update is done and all previous owners of SA! Jazz Horns have just received an email with a link to the update.

SA! Jazz Horns Update List

New Features:

- Round-robin added to Harmonized Chord patches. User-selectable number of additional RR's.

- Approach Chord Menu. In the Harmonized Chord patches, user can now select the kind of approach chords that are triggered when playing non-diatonic notes. Options are Diminished, Dominant, Chromatic or Suggested. "Suggested" approaches are the most stylistically appropriate combination of all 3.

- Different Passing Tones. Now recognizes and plays different voicings if you're approaching from above or below the note.

- Rebuilt Chord Recognition Script. New chord recognition script is a dramatic improvement over the original.

- Added chord types. Now recognizes more 5-note chords.

Bug Fixes:

- Various Solo Instrument Fixes

- Missing RR's upon first loading

- "Leap Accent" state restores when re-opening project

- "Shakes" crossfades

- "Flops" volume

- Tenor 2 - monophonic

- Various instruments - Sustains/Quarters problem w/ Dynamic Crossfades on

- Various volumes, crossfades, balancing

- Various Ensemble Chord Instrument Fixes

- Diminished chords sticking

- Range of trombone chord notes

- "Turns" in Tpts Close

- Various chord graphic fixes

- "Sus-Change" keyswitch, correct velocity

- Fixed unisons "Temporary Articulation"

- Volume of Chord Audition more balanced

- Various volumes, crossfades, balancing

bbrylow

I have been trying to contact support for some time to find out how to add SA Horns to a bundle with instruments I already own. Can someone tell me how?

Mike Connelly

What's up with the demos? On the website (and soundcloud) no audio demos for the horns. And there are a few youtube video demos but they're all private.

Top Bottom