What's new

LANDFORMS — Intro price ends midnight

How's the CPU usage looking? I bought cycles, but I get into serious CPU issues using a single patch on my 2013 mac pro. Hopefully will be upgrading to the M chips when they sort ram limitations out, but until then...
Its good.

You can go crazy with it if you start layering up for example, a fast arpeggiator with 4 voice harmonisation and long envelopes and then start modulating the spatial perspective and multiple dsp effects etc, but the general baseline use is way less cpu intensive than Cycles.

Cycles has been weird as whilst it was always going to be cpu intensive with its engine being based on realtime time stretching and polyphonic granular synthesis it seems to be really unpredictable as to how well it runs on different computers.

We have users that run it pretty well on Macbook Pro 2012 (some of our vids were made with one of those in fact) and then others with maxed out 2020 Mac Pros that have issues. We've looked into ourselves and with NI but cant seem to understand why. Some of the variables that seem to effect things are DAW (Logic's poor multithreading not helping for example), audio buffer size and sample rate, but even then results arent entirely consistent.

Havent heard from anyone how it runs on the M1s, would be interesting to know...

This! I have a brand new MBP and still having serious cpu issues with cycles (which is one of my favourite’s). Its definetly the most problematic vst I have. Even the kepler orch, Omnisphere, Zebra, Straylight or pharlight are not even close...
Hmm, yes we have been wondering if there is something to do with the more recent (pre M1) chips that was causing some sort of issue with the way Cycles worked but there was nothing concrete around that.

Hmm, yes we have been wondering if there is something to do with the more recent (pre M1) chips that was causing some sort of issue with the way Cycles worked but there was nothing concrete around that.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I meant the ”new” intel i9 version. Its so strange that the cpu is having so hard to process the vst (really hitting the 100%) even if I use very high buffers. Anyhow, a great plugin and I’m really looking forward your new work of art 👍

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I meant the ”new” intel i9 version. Its so strange that the cpu is having so hard to process the vst (really hitting the 100%) even if I use very high buffers. Anyhow, a great plugin and I’m really looking forward your new work of art 👍
Yes, it was the new intel i9 I was referring to. It is a strange one.

I have the latest 2019 Mac Pro 16-core / 128GB ram etc. and when I bought the computer, I had it in the back of my mind that "finally, I'll be able to dive into Cycles with no CPU issues."

It still, however does not perform well even on this powerful machine. I have to host it on VEP7 and it runs ok. But it still chokes if hosting it on my DAW.

I like to record/compose everyting at 96khz though, so I'm probably pushing it to the limits. I'm sure it would behave better at 48.

This is very strange as I have a 2020 16” MBP (i9, not M1) and I have yet to encounter an issue with Cycles and I’m on Logic. Granted, I haven’t been doing a ton of super involved customization with it but I’ve been able to run several instances with different presets in a full arrangement with many other instruments and my machine seems to handle it well...

I'm on an intel Core i7-7820x 3.6ghz, I rarely encounter CPU issues with cycles apart from the odd patch

Hi Anders,

Unfortunately it won’t be natively MPE compatible. One of the features of the instrument is that you are able to hot swap any articulation from any ensemble in the main patch as well as the ability to swap any specific mic position for any other mic position from any articulation or processed sound.

This means there are thousands of groups behind the scenes, to then multiply those groups by x number (normally 10) to achieve the polyphonic control will push it over the group limit allowed by Kontakt. Not to mention the CPU overload of this much more advanced engine (compared to Auras) with the huge amount of continuous controller data provided by most MPE instruments.

Once this version is released we do want to put some r+d into whether it could work on individual patch per articulation basis which we could add to the library later. You would miss some of the features with this form of patch but MPE control would also work really well with these samples :)

Which Cello video are you referring to?

Ah, see what you mean. Perhaps exporting some sounds as an add on/expansion to Auras? :)

Looking at the vids some parameters within the main gui (or whatchamacallit) seams to be automatable (adsr/effect sends etc) or am I wrong?
Perhaps that’s a question, will we be able to assign midi CC to “some” parameters? Sorry if you’ve already answered this.

Might have gotten the vids mixed up.
one of the videos you’ve got harmony A - D and from the looks of it you could randomise those “voices”.
Is it possible to grab that data and save it as midi for further orchestrating/editing?

Also, great that you’re using RealWorld, some amazing recordings have been made there.

Best of luck with the release!
/Anders

Hi.

Still on track for getting it off to encoding? (Yes. I check this thread every other morning...lol)

Hi.

Still on track for getting it off to encoding? (Yes. I check this thread every other morning...lol)
Unforunately not, (ugh I know!). When we put the final patch together we uncovered an unexpected snag which meant we had to go back and rework a bunch of things. Final patch is now ready, but still have another week or so of preset making etc that we couldnt do until the final patch was ready.

Unforunately not, (ugh I know!). When we put the final patch together we uncovered an unexpected snag which meant we had to go back and rework a bunch of things. Final patch is now ready, but still have another week or so of preset making etc that we couldnt do until the final patch was ready.
glad to hear you were able to iron out wrinkles and get the final patch. excited to see what you all come up with in this one and have some money set aside to get it when it is released.

Top Bottom