What's new

Ryzen 3000 Vs I9 9900K for music production

We’re currently carrying out the testing, although there has been a slight delay. You may have read that the chip samples went out late and that reviewers got them in the week leading up to release. We only saw the 3600 in the week prior to release and then the rest of the stock is slowly appearing this week. Needless to say, it's not the 3600 that everyone's excited about through!

I’m trying to get it tested as it lands, so just give me a day or two to get it all sorted and we’re looking to publish as soon as possible and certainly before the end of the week. One good thing with having to hold off is that we’ve managed to start the AMD testing with the launch day BIOS updates in place, which has (we’ve noted here) allowed us to ensure better clocking, so the delay has been positive for AMD in regards to smoothing out early performance results

Hi Pete! Thanks for your reply. So we will patiently wait :2thumbs:

Intel just throw in his lineup for comet lake 14nm++ with an i7 10700k 8c/16t 4.8 -5.2 ghz and an i9 10900KF 10C/20t 4.6 -5.2 ghz.
I don't know the release date but i think they will be more powerfull on single core, so maybe good to wait? :scout:

Intel just throw in his lineup for comet lake 14nm++ with an i7 10700k 8c/16t 4.8 -5.2 ghz and an i9 10900KF 10C/20t 4.6 -5.2 ghz.
I don't know the release date but i think they will be more powerfull on single core, so maybe good to wait? :scout:
I'm not too thrilled about this one to be honest. First off, it looks like it won't support current architecture, so you will need a whole new motherboard and chipset and who knows how affordable those will be. Second, this will be a short term fix for Intel and I can't see them supporting a new motherboard and chipset for very long with the inevitable 7nm architecture on the horizon, unless they find a way to make the new socket and chipset support both. It just feels like this will just be an interim short term response until they have time to release their long term solution. Now if they throw something like this out there as a $200 special edition type of deal then I'm all for it but we know that's not going to happen.

Whether you wait or not depends entirely on your needs and what you have currently.

I am in the market for an upgrade and have the following choices:
1. i9900k - which most say is a very capable CPU.
2. 3700X - extremely worth it if it matches or comes close to the performance of the i9900k.
3. 3900X - worth it if is exceeds the performance of the i9900k for me, considering the risk of these new gen mobos, RAM issues etc. etc.

I am in the market for an upgrade and have the following choices:
1. i9900k - which most say is a very capable CPU.
2. 3700X - extremely worth it if it matches or comes close to the performance of the i9900k.
3. 3900X - worth it if is exceeds the performance of the i9900k for me, considering the risk of these new gen mobos, RAM issues etc. etc.

I am in the market as well. I would buy today in fact but I'm willing to wait a week to see what deals Prime Days has as well as hoping that Pete will be able to show us Dawbench results before then to finalize my decision. I'm looking at all options from i8700k ,i9900k to 3700x and 3900x. It will be one of these options. If Intel gives us a good enough discount on the 8700k by next week then that might certainly sway me.

Just a quick note that this is confirmed to be a fake leak.

Guess Intel has lots of cores laying around from the (yawn-yawn) 14nm era of the last decade.
They better save the number 10s for something worthy instead of high binned high heat 14’s.

All I know is the AMD 3000s are bad ass gaming chips and cheap.
Thanks to them Intel is going to bring us a deadlier chip, but this ain’t it.

This is a sucker chip, same cores, same everything, bigger number.
AMD is chuckling watching Intel scramble for a Matisse equalizer..

I'm not too thrilled about this one to be honest. First off, it looks like it won't support current architecture, so you will need a whole new motherboard and chipset and who knows how affordable those will be. Second, this will be a short term fix for Intel and I can't see them supporting a new motherboard and chipset for very long with the inevitable 7nm architecture on the horizon, unless they find a way to make the new socket and chipset support both. It just feels like this will just be an interim short term response until they have time to release their long term solution. Now if they throw something like this out there as a $200 special edition type of deal then I'm all for it but we know that's not going to happen.

Guess Intel has lots of cores laying around from the (yawn-yawn) 14nm era of the last decade.
They better save the number 10s for something worthy instead of high binned high heat 14’s.

All I know is the AMD 3000s are bad ass gaming chips and cheap.
Thanks to them Intel is going to bring us a deadlier chip, but this ain’t it.

This is a sucker chip, same cores, same everything, bigger number.
AMD is chuckling watching Intel scramble for a Matisse equalizer..

You're both probably right. With the same architecture on 14nm, i m not sure intel can do quite much than the performance of a 9900k. Even with an optimisation. At least we ll see the same gap between 6700k and 7700k.
And as you said we have to change tve chipset again...
For the price it s already announced as 350 bucks for the 8C.

I really waiting the ryzen 3000 test on audio. The only thing i m afraid of is the inclusion of a fan cooler on the motherboard on x570. And on the test i ve read they don t mention the noise generation about this thing. The only thing i know about is that the vrm are pretty warm.
It may vary between several type of motherboard for sure, but for these type of price (250_300) for x570 it s a big needle...

And for me i m not considering to choose a x470 motherboad and loosing the benefit of pci express 4 and the full instant compatibility with the 3000 gen processors.

I'm another 4790K refugee and was just about to pull the trigger on a new (drives aside) 9900k system but for me, VSTi user mostly, I'm not feeling the love I might get with the upgrade. Aside from the CPU Mark ratings which show a major difference, the other benchmarks seem to be reasonably close to each other so I'm not sure what my real world gains would be doing the upgrade? AMD makes me nervous so I'll wait until DAW specific compatibility benchmarks and user experiences are out in the wild. I'm probably going to keep running the 4790K for now unless I'm missing something here?

What am I missing, real world wise?

I'm another 4790K refugee and was just about to pull the trigger on a new (drives aside) 9900k system but for me, VSTi user mostly, I'm not feeling the love I might get with the upgrade. Aside from the CPU Mark ratings which show a major difference, the other benchmarks seem to be reasonably close to each other so I'm not sure what my real world gains would be doing the upgrade? AMD makes me nervous so I'll wait until DAW specific compatibility benchmarks and user experiences are out in the wild. I'm probably going to keep running the 4790K for now unless I'm missing something here?

What am I missing, real world wise?

I have a 4770k which is close in performance to your 4790k. From what I measured my biggest bottlenecks are lack of SSD and more memory. CPU usage actually performs pretty well without overclocking. The only reason I'm upgrading is because my platform is limited to a max of 32GB so if I want to go 64GB I have to pretty much build a new system. Plus I want to move to Win10 from Win7 to ensure continued software support. If my current setup allowed me to upgrade my memory beyond the 32GB I already have then I would just upgrade memory and SSDs and Windows and be done with it saving money to invest in more virtual instruments.

I'm also on an i7-4790k, thinking of upgrading to i9-9900k in the near future.

I'm surprised by the comments in this thread from 4790k owners saying they don't expect to see much performance difference from the 9900k. Is the vastly improved multicore performance not relevant to your workflows? It's hard for me to conceive of the possibility that the 9900k wouldn't be a noticeable improvement over my CPU from 2014 that struggles with complex projects at anything but the highest possible buffer sizes. Yes, my current system works, but it's clearly not optimal for what's being thrown at it these days.

Lol I'm still on i7 920 and believe it or not, it still rocks.
I'm hoping to make my old Scan Pro audio pc last another year (purchased in 2009).
I hope to purchase a new pc then after. Hopefully a 3rd generation AMD ryzen or what ever Intel might throw out by then.

Copy that. My P4 Northwood still rocks, but only with GSIF Drivers.

My only beef with all of these chip makers is there only giving us more cores.
Granted AMD is trying and deserves praise.
But even Intel is looking at the LEGO/Chiplet ideas now.

I’d like a Quad that is 30% more performance per core than my i7 4790k’s.
Someday I might get into loading entire orchestras and dozens of plug ins.
By then Scan Audio might have their own Audio OS and 24 Core Workstations.
But somebody please hold me over with a super fast Quad.
The i3 8350k was a step in the right direction but 25% more.
Call it i2, make me appear small, I don’t care. Just one last bad ass Quad.

Here’s why AMD better have some high IPC.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80912-amd-ryzen-3000-overclocking-youre-not-going-see.html

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this new x570 platform in it's current state. Even if a 3700x proves to be a contender to an i7 8700k or 9900k for VSTi's I still don't trust these chipset fans for longevity on the motherboards. The only one without a fan I've seen so far from Gigabyte is a $600 motherboard which sort of negates the cost benefits of Ryzen. Of course I could go with an x470 board since I'm not too worried about pcie gen 4 at this time, however they have a max memory support of 64GB which might be enough once I add SSD's but I already regret not buying a board with more than 32GB support the first time around and thus want to make my next build capable of 128 just in case I end up deciding I need it.
I would love for someone to convince me that these fans are a non issue or find me an affordable x570 board without one.

I don't think you need to worry about motherboard fans at all... Obviously the chipset requires some cooling in order to provide peak performance, but those fans are not really fast spinning at all. They're there to ensure the stability of the system. If reference design done by AMD calls for them, you'd want to have them for sure. Fans and heatsinks on mobo chipsets are quite common on high-end boards.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to worry about motherboard fans at all... Obviously the chipset requires some cooling in order to provide peak performance, but those fans are not really fast spinning at all. They're there to ensure the stability of the system. If reference design done by AMD calls for them, you'd want to have them for sure. Fans and heatsinks on mobo chipsets are quite common on high-end boards.
I'm not that concerned about the noise of the fan since my PC goes into a closet adjacent to my studio. I still try to build a fairly quiet pc though. My bigger concern is the longterm reliability of them. I have heard of some people plugging 128gb ram in x470 mobo's and working and if I could be confident it would work for me I might go that route. However, I haven't seen any Thunderbolt support on X470 yet but have seen the Asrock x570s have support for it. Even though I don't know if I'll ever upgrade to a Thunderbolt interface it would be nice to have the option.

Ps. I've heard rumor that Thunderbolt technology will be rolled into future iterations of the USB 3 spec which could make all motherboards with USB3 compatible. Not sure if there would need to be a usb driver update or if the TB device itself needs firmware to make it work.

Last edited:
Thanks, my collegues been telling me to stick my nose in here for years! :)

Right, testing is now live.

https://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/...00x-dawbench-tested-3-is-it-the-magic-number/

Thanks for the test!

One suggestion, though. It's really really hard to discern different CPUs because you use very close shades of blue for Intels. I know this is probably because of Team Blue and Team Red, but I wouldn't mind if this is completely eschewed and you use wildly different colors per CPU. It should be easier to distinguish them. Right now I'm looking at Kontakt VI bench results image and I'm not sure if 3900X has more voices than 9900K or not at 64 samples buffer size. And I thought I had perfect eyesight :)

Thanks, my collegues been telling me to stick my nose in here for years! :)

Right, testing is now live.

https://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/...00x-dawbench-tested-3-is-it-the-magic-number/

Thank you for posting Pete.

I noticed you ran the memories in 3200mhz
I have seen overall benchmarks for other productivity tasks and games that running memory clock at 3600mhz improves performance considerably as this also increases the clock speed of the infinity fabric bridge between the dyes on the cpu.

Will you be running any future tests to see if this could have any impact on performance for audio use?

Top Bottom