What's new

RRA Palette (Kontakt) RAM use

Crowe

part raven, part troll
So, I've been playing around with multiple sample libraries and have created an assortment of templates to make said playing more enjoyable. I mainly use Kontakt and have made pretty large templates featuring the Symphony Series, other NI Instruments and Sonokinetic instruments. I'm aware of how to purge and update samples within Kontakt. I usually use about 6 instances of Kontakt with up to 8 instruments each, usually netting me up to 9gb of RAM, all purged.

So when I tried to make a template featuring Red Room Palette, I was unpleasantly surprised that with 3 Kontakt (6) instances with 6 to 7 instruments each, all purged, I got to 7 to 8gb RAM and I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening. Is Palette just more RAM intensive by default, or are things not correctly unloaded?

In case I'm doing something wrong, are there any other ways to save on RAM with Kontakt?

Note: Yes yes, I need more RAM which is on the way. ;)

Last edited:
Many Palette instruments do have quite a lot of groups, with some filters, modulators, etc. so some can indeed be more RAM intensive.

Also, are you using the latest version? The first one had the HQ crossfades which were using AET filters, which ate even more into RAM usage (even when purged) and slowed down loading of patches.

Looks like I'm on 1.1 and I can't tell if that's the latest version.

The main strings ensemble takes up 750mb ram, purged and unused.

That definitely sounds wrong... Over here, all mics purged on the PSS 01 Strings patch, it's about 150 MB of RAM (checked in Task Manager, comparing to empty standalone Kontakt instance, in K5.8.1 - which is around 200 MB of RAM on its own).

That definitely sounds wrong... Over here, all mics purged on the PSS 01 Strings patch, it's about 150 MB of RAM (checked in Task Manager, comparing to empty standalone Kontakt instance, in K5.8.1 - which is around 200 MB of RAM on its own).

That would indeed be more than acceptable. Sadly, in my environment Kontakt 5 hits the 1gb RAM after loading and purging the Strings Ensemble as well. I've taken into account Kontakts own footprint. Very strange.

Edit:
Further research shows me that Melodics patches generally use about 250mb of RAM. Woodwinds and Brass over 500.

Last edited:
So, I've been playing around with multiple sample libraries and have created an assortment of templates to make said playing more enjoyable. I mainly use Kontakt and have made pretty large templates featuring the Symphony Series, other NI Instruments and Sonokinetic instruments. I'm aware of how to purge and update samples within Kontakt. I usually use about 6 instances of Kontakt with up to 8 instruments each, usually netting me up to 9gb of RAM, all purged.

So when I tried to make a template featuring Red Room Palette, I was unpleasantly surprised that with 3 Kontakt (6) instances with 6 to 7 instruments each, all purged, I got to 7 to 8gb RAM and I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening. Is Palette just more RAM intensive by default, or are things not correctly unloaded?

In case I'm doing something wrong, are there any other ways to save on RAM with Kontakt?

Note: Yes yes, I need more RAM which is on the way. ;)

Do you have it installed on an SSD and can try lowering the preload buffer size in the memory options of Kontakt?

Do you have it installed on an SSD and can try lowering the preload buffer size in the memory options of Kontakt?

It's not running from an SSD. I tried overriding the preload with 24kb which changed about an mb :P

I tried redownloading and replacing the main files as well. Didn't change anything.

I've contacted support. So now we wait. Thanks for your help ED.

Quick question: in Palette's Samples folder, do you see any subfolder that contains .ndx files?

(And I'm not sure if I received a reply if you see HQ Xfade button in Settings area of the GUI or not.)

Quick question: in Palette's Samples folder, do you see any subfolder that contains .ndx files?

(And I'm not sure if I received a reply if you see HQ Xfade button in Settings area of the GUI or not.)

Hmm, Yes, actually.

So that means I'm not on the latest version? I don't see anything newer among my downloads.

1565959644559.png

1565959728168.png

Last edited:
Actually I don't recall if v1.1 with AET filters (HQ Xfades) removed from NKIs was released, but it's being prepared and should happen in due time (but some things happened along the way so it became v1.2). This is why our RAM usage comparison didn't match up. I was actually on v1.2, heheh.

Last edited:
1565961243603.png

Ahem. I see. Well, good to know there's going to be a fix at some point :P. I've contacted CS again for an ETA or possible pre-release version. Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom