What's new

Routing in VEP & Cubase - I'm clueless

windyweekend

I come on humble bended knee to the wise ones for their sage advice - I've recently entered the world of VEP and have discovered by familiar routing workflow in Cubase no longer holds water and am now clueless how to apply individual FX on a single track using VEP.

I used to use just Track instruments in Cubase (not Racks) as it made it easy to add inserts on each track one by one to get granular EQs etc on each track - easy. Now using VEP, I'm loading up a single VEP instance with multiple channels on it, each assigned to a separate midi track in Cubase.

My routing knowledge is diabolically poor so need advice (manuals aren't helping here) - how do I go about adding an Effect to one single midi track in Cubase now, without having to create a single VEP instance for each and every single instrument? e.g. If I have Spitfire Mural in a VEP instance with V1, V2, Va, VC in separate channels, how do I go about adding EQ to just one of these (and not the whole instance)? Can anyone help fill this brainless idiot's head with the missing info?

maxime77

In VE Pro you don't only need to create instrument tracks but also audio tracks so that one midi tracks goes to one audio track in Cubase.

OP
windyweekend

windyweekend

Ahhh...Thanks Maxime77! More complexity on top of complexity in order to make things simpler for me. I should have guessed this.

OP
windyweekend

windyweekend

Couldn't get this to work (Cubase wouldn't create the additional audio channels) so I'm back to square one. Any otehr ideas out there? All I want to do is create a VEP instrument and add EQ to it, but I've never known something to be so complex...

dog1978

I've done some tutorials for VE Pro:

For VE Pro I use Rack Instruments. When you want to EQ the signal, you got to EQ the Rack Instrument channel.

OP
windyweekend

windyweekend

Thanks dog. Very helpful!

I 'think' I've got this working now but am sure I still need to tweak the overall routing architecture (I'm only seeing the ability to route 16 channels back to 16 Cubasis tracks per VEP instance which can't be right, but not a showstopper).

I'm hoping my VEP holiday hangover is now over and I can get back to creating music again for the first time in a while. Thanks for everyone's help!

dog1978

You can use more than 16 channels by using more than one MIDI-Port (Video 1 3:37). This is just possible when you use the VST3 version of VE Pro. Not VST2 (the one with the three bars at the end *g*) Video 1 1:50.

Top Bottom