1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romantic Strings - Bach/Siloti Prelude in b minor arranged for strings

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by muk, Sep 11, 2017.

1. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Hello everyone,

after testing CSSS for solo quartet use I wanted to try their other fortes, which would be the use as first chair and section soloist. So I rearranged Siloti's arrangement of Bach's Prelude in b minor for strings. The sweeping romanticism suits CSSS/CSS very well in my opinion.

I'm not certain about the first part yet (basically the first 1:30 or so), should I just leave it off? Any comments about the mockup and/or the mixing are most welcome.

https://app.box.com/s/qeab1jy132kqfy39bp7ru7wbg0rj6ueh

As always, thanks for listening.

Paul T McGraw, Nils Neumann and Saxer like this.
  2. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Sounds wonderful! The repeated 8th-note-figures are quite good (though legato-ostinatos are still one of the main problem areas of string sampling). Well done!

muk likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Thank you @Saxer

Legato-ostinato-figures are indeed a stress test for sample libraries, especially solo strings. You just can't beat recording live. But CSSS do better than anything else I have. It doesn't sound completely real, but musical enough to not be distracting for my taste. With my other solo string libraries it would have been an ordeal to program this piece, and the results would probably not have been useable. CSSS is definitely a step forward for me.

4. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    It sounds good, a nice arrangement.
    I know the piano version well, my favorit version is Played by the great Sokolov- wonderful.

muk likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Thank you @OleJoergensen . I like Sokolov's interpretation too, he keeps some of the Bachian spirit. For a more romantic interpretation I like Emil Gilels.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  6. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Very nicely done. My personal opinion is that you should not cut anything. You did a good job of slowly transitioning the primary focus from the eighth note figure to the other voices. Amazing how well Bach continues to be powerful in all contexts. I would have liked a softer attack for the eighth note figure, especially near the end, but I have no idea if CSS offers attack control. That was a very minor quibble. Great work @muk

muk likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Thanks for listening and sharing your opinion Paul. And thanks for pointing me towards the attack of the ostinato figure, I'll check if I can achieve a more subtle result.

Paul T McGraw likes this.