What's new

"Rolling my own" - how to work toward eventual sales?

tmm

Hello!

I just recently (last 6ish months) started "rolling my own", creating my own organic, synth, and hybrid sample library by multisampling acoustic, electric, and (hardware) synth instruments I have (yes, multisampling the synths, too, every key, sometimes multiple velocities, etc). I'm up to 8.6GB so far (whittled down from over 15GB of raw samples), and growing!

One patch I just created layers a real, multi-sampled gamelan with the gamelan patch of a Roland D50 and a pad patch from a Prophet-6... took me a while to stop playing with that and keep sampling / constructing patches.

It's been slow, basically just sampling a particular instrument as that instrument becomes necessary for something I'm working on, but very fulfilling. For my recent work, I've been almost exclusively using my own virtual instruments (some live instruments still, too).

I started thinking about eventually cleaning my library up a little (right now, I have some patches with like 15 slightly different versions of the same patch based on the projects I was using them for) and putting it (or sections of it) up for sale, which immediately brought 3 things to mind:

1) I'm constructing in Falcon; I know (or at least assume) Kontakt would be more marketable, but I'm just way more comfortable and efficient working in Falcon. It is what it is. Is there a way in Falcon to "Falcon-ize" / mask the original WAVs, like how you can create NCWs in Kontakt?

2) What's the best way to start trying to sell a sample library? Offer a limited number of Beta sales at a really cheap price to help work out bugs & get some user feedback, then update, and post up for more formal sale?

3) How do I go about acquiring / writing a proper EULA? I assume it would involve, at the very least, having formal legal review. Any templates / resources available that anyone is aware of?

4) ... and, anything I'm not thinking of that I should be?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

d.healey

Music Monkey
1) I'm constructing in Falcon; I know (or at least assume) Kontakt would be more marketable, but I'm just way more comfortable and efficient working in Falcon. It is what it is. Is there a way in Falcon to "Falcon-ize" / mask the original WAVs, like how you can create NCWs in Kontakt?
NCW is a lossless compression format, it doesn't hide the original wavs in anyway and they can be uncompressed via Kontakt's built in tools too.

2) What's the best way to start trying to sell a sample library? Offer a limited number of Beta sales at a really cheap price to help work out bugs & get some user feedback, then update, and post up for more formal sale?
I'd recommend you piggy back on an existing platform like sampleism. Or if you're good at building websites just start your own site

3) How do I go about acquiring / writing a proper EULA? I assume it would involve, at the very least, having formal legal review. Any templates / resources available that anyone is aware of?
Find a bunch of EULAs from different developers and take the bits that suit you, rewording them to make it applicable for the terms and conditions you want to apply to your products.

OP
tmm

tmm

Thanks so much for the feedback David!

Shows how little I've really dug into Kontakt, I didn't realize that. I'd wanted to build my own Kontakt instruments for a while, but the things I wanted to do with them weren't immediately intuitive to me in Kontakt. Then I got Falcon, and everything was obvious to me in there, I've barely had to read the manual to do everything I wanted to do.

I'm not a website genius, but I'm friends with one, so I might offer him some $ to build one for me. I like that idea better than piggybacking (though I'm not averse to that if it comes to it).

Top Bottom