What's new

Reverb tutorials ?

Digivolt

Glitch Vulture
Does there exist any tutorials which focus solely on reverb and the science behind using them effectively and getting them well balanced in the mix ?

Something for guidance on why you would select one preset/setting over another and for which types of instruments need different treatment beyond simply just what sounds good ?

Or is it really as simple as what sounds good ? Or even just some special techniques to get that little bit better sound ?

Christian Henson has some good videos on his Youtube channel. There's one where they compare every reverb they can get their hands on, including Bricasti and TC6000. (Spoiler, he likes Fabfilter.)

One good tip is to roll off the bass either on the way in or the way out. Really cleans up the low end. Rolling out the treble (on the output) can clean up the highs and helps imaging. I used a Lexicon 480L once and was surprised that every program we looked at, the input LPF was set to 6k MAX. Most of them were 2k or 4k.

Christian Henson has some good videos on his Youtube channel. There's one where they compare every reverb they can get their hands on, including Bricasti and TC6000. (Spoiler, he likes Fabfilter.)

Honestly, i don't think that particular video is really helpful in any sense.
No golden ears at work, no specific tasks...
More some kind of another "i think my opinion is important so i make a video where i state my opinion" episode in instagram-youtube-world. I watched a major part of it and consider it as a waste of time.

The other links in this thread are much more interesting since they contain substantial information.

Honestly, i don't think that particular video is really helpful in any sense.
No golden ears at work, no specific tasks...
More some kind of another "i think my opinion is important so i make a video where i state my opinion" episode in instagram-youtube-world. I watched a major part of it and consider it as a waste of time.

The other links in this thread are much more interesting since they contain substantial information.
Excuse me, are you suggesting that Jake Jackson doesn't have "golden ears"? :) I suggest that video is quite useful when someone is considering which reverb to buy.

Excuse me, are you suggesting that Jake Jackson doesn't have "golden ears"? :) I suggest that video is quite useful when someone is considering which reverb to buy.

I kind of disagree. In my opinion it's nearly impossible to judge reverb unless you have an emotional relation to the music that is reverberated.
In every other situation you are going to believe what is told you (or what you want to believe)
Therefore, i really think the only way that improves your handling is getting concrete hints how to deal with parameters but not random shootouts with music you have no relation to.

It's absolutely nonsensical to make lists of better and worse reverbs per se.
In the (high) end it's about knowing why you set which parameter in which way because you are aware of the consequences.
That's why i think it's much more interesting for aspiring composers/musicians to watch videos where they get real information about the background of reverberation. @Beat Kaufmann 's video's e.g. are a great starting point.

No offense playz but I'm with LF on that. And frankly I question whether anyone truly has "golden ears" - a few blind tests would probably dispel that myth at least 99% of the time. I don't feel there's much value in best/worst lists either (though I admit to still occasionally browsing); it's just one person's opinion and music (including production) is so subjective.

Top Bottom