Reverb presets ????

thov72

Senior Membr
So as a mixing dummie I wonder if there is a better way than buying MirX (a cheaper way, that is), for mixing orchestra as well as other stuff....
e.g. why isn´t there something like a preset like: Medium size hall--then one reverb setting for strings, one for brass, soloists, etc....I think this would only take a little time for a dev, but it´s like crazy for guys like me....I´m just not good at this and I´d rather spend my time composing than fiddling around with all them shiny knobs .... :)

...does that make sense??

Jimmy Hellfire

Agreed, Spaces is exactly what you're asking for. On top of that, it's very straight-forward and easy to use and sounds very nice.

If you're using samples that weren't recorded in "in position" (like VSL and generally most dry stuff), it's still a good idea to pan them, and possibly adjust stereo width.

KEnK

as a mixing dummie I wonder if there is a better way than buying MirX (a cheaper way, that is), for mixing orchestra as well as other stuff....
You really need to spend the time and effort to learn what all your knobs do.
This is especially true for a large palette of sounds like "orchestra".
If like most people, you're using a few different libraries- then it's even more important.
Just spend 30 min/day learning "something".
Mixing is deep. Presets don't really cut it and that's not how the big boys do it.

Just break it down and study it systematically.
Your 3 most important tools are eq, compression and reverb.
So just try to learn one aspect of one tool/day.

Do that for some months and you'll be much further along than by using presets

k

Chandler

I agree with KEnK. Unfortunately there aren't really shortcuts in mixing. Presets for reverbs are often a good starting point, but just dropping them in a project will cause problems. The preset designers have no idea what type of music you make, what sounds you want etc. IMO you'll be happier if you just learn to do it yourself.

Ashermusic

Presets are only a starting point. Engineers say that they don't use them but they do all have mental starting points, so even if it is only in their own mind, they ARE essentially using presets.

If you take the Spaces presets and turn them to 100% wet, use the built in filters to filter out some low end rumble and re-save them, you can simply end whatever amounts to them seem appropriate and 90% of the time, it will sound great.

Throw a little algorithithmic reverb on the whole thing for gloss and you have an expensive sound IMHO.