What's new

Reverb Glut? One More?

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
Seems there's a new MUST HAVE reverb plugin every week around here.

I, for one, have plenty.

But

I still scour reviews and youtube...

Trying to convince myself NOT to 'spring' for Altiverb or 7th Heaven or Hofa.

Or even Little Plate or another Valhalla.

It is an affliction.

What reverb do you have to convince yourself not to buy on a frequent basis?

Well. There's different TYPES of reverbs. Do you need more than one of each TYPE? Probably not. But there's definitely several flavors. IR, IR-esque, algorithmic hall, algo plate and then there's "clean" and "character" reverbs.

Right now I have Valhalla Vintage and Shimmer, Soundtoys Little Plate, D16 Toraverb2 and my recent addition: iZotope/Exponential Nimbus. I feel that, for electronic music, I'm pretty well covered at this point, though I'm sure I'll add Valhalla Room at some point, and Acon Verberate 2 is on reasonably priced (esp. on sale right now for $75).

For orchestral, yeah, you should try out Illusion and Seventh Heaven for "lush" IR-esque sound and also probably iZotope/Exponential Nimbus for "clean". Verberate2 is somewhere in the middle, I felt, as was 2C Breeze 2.

i know Waves is a mixed bag,

but the 2 reverbs i have from them, Abbey Road Chambers and Plates, are extraordinary.

Slake your thirst with some useful freebies.

OrilRiver (alternate GUI is more usable IMO)
Riviera (very ugly but powerful)
Dragonfly (check the beta version for more algorithms)
Ambient Reverb (try the "freeze" feature; windows only unfortunately)
Samplicity Bricasti M7 (just impulses, not a plugin itself)
And Voxengo OldSkoolVerb and EpicVerb by VarietyofSound.

And whatever your DAW has.

There's enough great stuff out there I have only one that isn't a freebie verb (Valhalla's VintageVerb). No interest in others.

oh man, Variety of Sound were my GO TO back when i was 32bit.

i even used JBridge for a minute to keep using the VoS plugins.

forgot about EpicVerb.

And whatever your DAW has.

There's enough great stuff out there I have only one that isn't a freebie verb (Valhalla's VintageVerb). No interest in others.

CSR room and plate reverb. IK multimedia makes one hell of a good plugins ,but in the end having 1000 plugins makes your work harder, since you dive into the limitless options of 'what to use'. So I am sticking with Valhalla and H-verb

CSR room and plate reverb. IK multimedia makes one hell of a good plugins ,but in the end having 1000 plugins makes your work harder, since you dive into the limitless options of 'what to use'. So I am sticking with Valhalla and H-verb

i mentioned in another thread, i've had Valhalla Room for quite some time, but it took a back seat to the raft of fancy offerings over the years.

as i was organizing the plugin manager in my new DAW, i rediscovered Valhalla Room.

yow! nicer than i remember.

tempted to grab Plate again and Vintage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom