Retro Orchestral Mockup

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Mattia Chiappa, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Mattia Chiappa

Mattia Chiappa Member

May 18, 2018
    London
    Hello everybody :)

I wanted to share with you my latest work. Lately I've been listen to lots of orchestral music from the 50s so I tried to give that sort of retro feel in the mix stage. I'm not sure if fits the compositional style well but it was a fun exercise :)

Anyway here's the piece, let me know what you think. Any feedback is very much appreciated!

2. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
  3. OP
    OP
    Mattia Chiappa

Mattia Chiappa Member

May 18, 2018
    London
    thank you!

4. Wolf68

Wolf68 Senior Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Excellent...I dig that Style! Very well composed and rendered. Which libraries did you use?

5. OP
    OP
    Mattia Chiappa

Mattia Chiappa Member

May 18, 2018
    London
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's pretty much all Spitfire Symphony and Chamber Strings. There's also some Cinebrass for detail and Berlin Woodwinds to help those flutes and clarinets runs.

6. milesito

milesito Senior Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Harry Potter-esque....2 min is when you break the style a bit and bring me to the 1950s writing style a bit. Nice work over all!

What mix positions did you use on the instrument sections? Any major eq’ing on the instrument sections?

7. cadenzajon

cadenzajon Senior Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Yes, some material here is very reminiscent of Harry Potter. It does have a nice sound. One thing I noticed in the first bit was some pizzicatos that stuck out and didn't seem to mix very naturally, but otherwise I liked it.

NoamL and Mattia Chiappa like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Mattia Chiappa

Mattia Chiappa Member

May 18, 2018
    London
    It's mostly close and a touch of the tree mics for most instruments. Not much eq no, I just cut some bass and high. What makes it's sound like that is the the narrower stereo image, which I did in Kontakt. I also added a bit of wow and flutter here and there with Izotope vinyl. Reverb is the crappy one that comes with Logic. Very simple stuff!

9. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Senior Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Queensland, Australia
    Great music - very bright and playful score . The orchestration had plenty of contrast and interest and was scintillating. I really enjoyed listening to this. Thanks for sharing :)

Mattia Chiappa likes this.
  10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Senior Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Queensland, Australia
    Great music - very bright and playful score . The orchestration had plenty of contrast and interest and I very much liked the touches of harp glissandi, glockenspiel, Celeste, and string tremolo throughout the orchestration. I really enjoyed listening to this. Thanks for sharing :)

11. gussunkri

gussunkri Active Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Nice! I loved everything about that!

12. OP
    OP
    Mattia Chiappa

Mattia Chiappa Member

May 18, 2018
    London
    Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the piece :)

13. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Mattia, very solid work. Nothing wrong with getting impressions from Williams. Thats exactly how you learn. I enjoyed the piece too!

14. OP
    OP
    Mattia Chiappa

Mattia Chiappa Member

May 18, 2018
    London
    Thank you Alexander! I really like your work and I value your expert opinion very much :)