What's new

Rethinking my keyboard controller - Recommendations? S61 mk2 or P6?

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
i've had a Studiologic SL88 Studio for a while now and i love it.

i will be moving next week - studio is broken down for the move.

i was thinking about shifting to a 61 key controller to slim down for a while.

thoughts?

Komplete Kontrol S61 mk2?

$729

no sliders - i have my AKAI MPD-232, but would like to streamline

ni-komplete-kontrol-s61-mk2-11.jpg

Nektar Panorama P6?

$599

sliders

p6_3.jpg

others?

Last edited:
I plan to get the S61 pretty soon. Mainly because of the feel of the keys, but with Komplete Ultimate, it would be fun to use the Komplete Kontrol interface sure. Also, it comes with Maschine, which I plan to use for arranging. But its lacking in sliders/knobs compared to some other offerings, no question about that. Mainly, I tested every 61-88 key keyboard I could find and the S61 has the best feel and quiet keyboard IMHO, but its a personal preference.

One thing that may or may not influence your decision: you can't turn the guide lights off on the s61 mkII. They're handy when you want them, but some folks don't want them on all the time. There have been several requests to NI to add on/off feature, but currently, folks have to just cover them up.

One thing that may or may not influence your decision: you can't turn the guide lights off on the s61 mkII. They're handy when you want them, but some folks don't want them on all the time. There have been several requests to NI to add on/off feature, but currently, folks have to just cover them up.

Good to know.

Thanks.

I didn't know the P6 had weighted keys. I would be more interested in that knowing that. I think it also might be too deep to fit on my desk, can't remember now. There was something about the Panorama line that steered me towards the S61, can't remember now, oh well...but I haven't bought anything yet...its not too late. ;)

I didn't know the P6 had weighted keys. I would be more interested in that knowing that. I think it also might be too deep to fit on my desk, can't remember now. There was something about the Panorama line that steered me towards the S61, can't remember now, oh well...but I haven't bought anything yet...its not too late. ;)

https://societyhealth.org/turmeric-...ZWklAN1U4u0w1M_YigsitDrP-bFiHdI8aApNkEALw_wcB

looks sweet.

nice Cubase demo - since i just switched.

I used to have a P6, and sold it and bought an S61 MK I, which I found much better.

The P6 was awful to play. The white and black notes felt as if they belonged to different keyboards and were pretty noisy. I heard a rumour that they may have improved this - but I'd definitely double check.

There it is. I can say honestly the S61 action is superb for semi-weighted. I think i'd rather get something with great action and then a separate device of some kind with faders..maybe even the Nektar one! But...I didn't know the guide lights are always on!?!? Does that include when I'm not using NI instruments?

I used to have a P6, and sold it and bought an S61 MK I, which I found much better.

The P6 was awful to play. The white and black notes felt as if they belonged to different keyboards and were pretty noisy. I heard a rumour that they may have improved this - but I'd definitely double check.

Also good to know.

I'm leaning toward staying with my SL88 Studio and Akai MPD232.

Thanks for the great responses.

I recently purchased the Nektar Impact LX88+ and am very happy with it. It’s light, slim, has a great feel and is well integrated into a number of DAWs. My Kawai MP7 now sits disconnected from my DAW for use as a piano for when I want to switch off from technology.

The LX88 was my 2nd choice of all the ones I was able to try. It has a lot to like about it also, especially the price for what it is.

The p6 does not have weighted keys. I used to own one, and while the integration with DAWS was really good, the keybed was the worst thing I have EVER played. Noisy, soft, squishy, spongy. I have heard that the build quality has gotten better in their other keyboards, but man, I couldn't sell my P6 fast enough. If you like the idea of the integration that Nektar has, try their P1 and keep the Studiologic.

I have the Panorama P4 and the keys are not great. They are certainly noisy. I am not a keyboard player at all so it’s fine for my needs as a step-entry/overdub “player” but I really dislike the noise.

I think the keybed for some other Nektar models has been improved but I’m not certain about the P Series.

As a DAW controller I really like it, but I have been, for a while, considering switching to an S61 MK2 (along with Metagrid, which I already use)

There it is. I can say honestly the S61 action is superb for semi-weighted. I think i'd rather get something with great action and then a separate device of some kind with faders..maybe even the Nektar one! But...I didn't know the guide lights are always on!?!? Does that include when I'm not using NI instruments?

Yes, unfortunately. Even when you don't need/want them.

EDIT: To be fair, I should add that despite the lights, I also really like the action and playability (and overall useability) of the s61 mkII.

Last edited:
the lights are on when its in so called midi mode?

Oh, not sure about if it's only connected via midi cables and not usb (but then don't you lose most of the functionality?). But if it's usb cabled in, those lights are on for every key, even if you press the midi button on the keyboard.

I don't know the details, since I don' have one yet, but there is a so called midi mode, I'm not sure it has to be using the midi interface or whether it can work in midi mode via usb too, but in that mode it behaves differently and a lot of those features including the lights I would presume, are off. I was always under the impression the lights are only on if you're using Komplete Kontrol plugin or Kontakt. I would be annoyed if the lights are just on some random lit up mode while trying to use completely different plugins.

Top Bottom