What's new

Rethinking my keyboard controller - Recommendations? S61 mk2 or P6?

LudovicVDP

The LX88 was my 2nd choice of all the ones I was able to try. It has a lot to like about it also, especially the price for what it is.
I have the LX88, but the first gen so I can't say anything about the new one. I guess it's not so different.
I like the price tag. Can't beat it.
I like the small height/weight which makes is easy to slide under my self-build desk.
I like the Cubase integration.
I have emailed their support team once. They were wonderfully nice and fast and the problem got solved. Shout out to them.

The downside: I find it simply unplayable. Not a problem for most of what I need it for (which is composing, not practicing Chopin) but if you're a pianist looking for a piano feel, you might consider another keyboard.

Dewdman42

Well you evaluated it ad inferior for playing Chopin which is of course true because it’s not a weighted controller. There is no point to consider it for that purpose. Of course it would have terrible performance for that, it’s not designed for it. Compare the action to other semi weighted controllers and the relevant playing tasks

MexicanBreed

I've been drooling over the keylab mkii (over the images of them in the screen, anyhow), and this thread is really pushing me towards splurging and getting it.

Zoot, you mentioned the DAW integration... I haven't really found anything more extensive on the matter. What is your experience on this regard, what has stood out to you? I have also thought of adding a one-fader control surface, but would be happy if I can dispense with it by using the Arturia.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I get to play on various grand pianos several times a year playing classical pieces, jazz and my own barrel house versions of pop.
I prepare for gigs by playing on a semi weighted Physis K4 for rehashing tunes because I can play for hours with no fatigue.
Then days leading up to the gig practice on the ancient Yamaha KX88 which is more difficult than a real piano.
When I play the grand piano available at the gig it’s a walk in the park after the damn near metal key Steam Calliope action of the Yamaha.

Years ago after choking on the grand I bought the Yamaha for that reason and it really helped since I don’t own a Grand Piano.

I use to do recitals, juries, practice for hours in the dark with silent metronomes.
Years went by without touching a real piano.
Amazing how rusty you can get by not having one.

My Casio PX-3S is considered by many to have great weighted action. It’s nice but nothing like a real piano, but thankfully not as tortuous as the ancient KX88’s.
You can buy one used for a few hundred bucks since nobody likes them.

If you can pull off Rachmaninov’s Concerto 3 in D Minor of Chopins Fantasie Impromptu at the fastest tempos you can restore any pride lost from not having a real Piano.

OP
Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
I get to play on various grand pianos several times a year playing classical pieces, jazz and my own barrel house versions of pop.
I prepare for gigs by playing on a semi weighted Physis K4 for rehashing tunes because I can play for hours with no fatigue.
Then days leading up to the gig practice on the ancient Yamaha KX88 which is more difficult than a real piano.
When I play the grand piano available at the gig it’s a walk in the park after the damn near metal key Steam Calliope action of the Yamaha.

Years ago after choking on the grand I bought the Yamaha for that reason and it really helped since I don’t own a Grand Piano.

I use to do recitals, juries, practice for hours in the dark with silent metronomes.
Years went by without touching a real piano.
Amazing how rusty you can get by not having one.

My Casio PX-3S is considered by many to have great weighted action. It’s nice but nothing like a real piano, but thankfully not as tortuous as the ancient KX88’s.
You can buy one used for a few hundred bucks since nobody likes them.

If you can pull off Rachmaninov’s Concerto 3 in D Minor of Chopins Fantasie Impromptu at the fastest tempos you can restore any pride lost from not having a real Piano.
I had a KX88 for a few years back in the early '90s.

Needed it for my composition class since they wouldn't accept electric bass as my performance instrument.

I got it because i read it was Jerry Goldsmith's controller of choice.

What a beast.

You could get them pretty cheap back then too.

Silent metronome in the dark.

'They' should make a plugin for that.

Last edited:
OP
Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
I've been drooling over the keylab mkii (over the images of them in the screen, anyhow), and this thread is really pushing me towards splurging and getting it.

Zoot, you mentioned the DAW integration... I haven't really found anything more extensive on the matter. What is your experience on this regard, what has stood out to you? I have also thought of adding a one-fader control surface, but would be happy if I can dispense with it by using the Arturia.
Keep in mind, this is my first DAW control surface experience.

So the Gosh Wow factor is steep with simple controls like:

Transport and big knob scrolling.

I've attempted it before with other hardware, but gave up after feeble attempts.

KEYLab's built in DAW selections with the faders, encoders, and switches already assigned at a touch of a button...

Hmmm, i thought, i could actually use this.

The even fuller integration with Ableton Live has me curious to check out that DAW.

Ableton Lite is included.

I've discovered i like learning different DAWs.

As well as Analoglab 4, which looks very good for bundled software.

The USER section with 10 preset slots looks great for my various VIs.

Coming from a Studiologic SL88 Studio with a massive-ish Akai MPD232 balanced on top,

built in faders was a must - this has 9, nice touch - 8 tracks and one master,

presents this form factor as nothing short of inspiring.

Othes may not be so impressed.

Honestly, i'm sure some will say the keyboard action is average.

Perhaps.

The reviews are all high 4s.

I got to use it for a few days before Guitar Center choked on a hair ball.

Excited to get to work.

Last edited:

Dewdman42

you sound excited, that's awesome! I read a review that says that 88 key version of the Arturia mk2 is fatar 100 keybed. I would really like to know how the keybed compares to the KK S61, which is also fatar. I don't think the 61 key arturia is fatar, but I could be wrong. I wish there was one around here to try.

OP
Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
you sound excited, that's awesome! I read a review that says that 88 key version of the Arturia mk2 is fatar 100 keybed. I would really like to know how the keybed compares to the KK S61, which is also fatar. I don't think the 61 key arturia is fatar, but I could be wrong. I wish there was one around here to try.

Very excited.

Couple this with a personal move starting tomorrow - now with a dedicated studio/music room,

I won't be tripping over cables, guitars, wah pedals...

I watched a youtube vid on the 88 mk 2 key version.

Fatar, yes, but some complained in the about it and even recommended getting a Studiologic SL88 Studio at half the price.

A tad ironic.

I'll try to find the vid.

OP
Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member

Scroll down the comments.

Someone lamented the lack of a Fatar TP/40 Wood keybed with the KEYLab 88 mk2, that it was the same as the NI S88 mkii.

Another whined about buying the KEYLab 61 mk2 just before the 88 nk2 was released.

We all have different requirements.

Life on Earth.

Last edited:
OP
Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
The KEYLab 88 mk2 is a Fatar TP/100 LR from the youtube comments.

The same as the Studiologic SL88 Studio.

I preferred that action over the SL88 Grand (TP/40 Wood) when i was shopping for an 88.

Weight was a consideration too.

The KEYLab 88 mk2 looks excellent.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I had a KX88 for a few years back in the early '90s.

Needed it for my composition class since they wouldn't accept electric bass as my performance instrument.

I got it because i read it was Jerry Goldsmith's controller of choice.

What a beast.

You could get them pretty cheap back then too.

Silent metronome in the dark.

'They' should make a plugin for that.
Reaper can play flashes of light in its video box that works so well it’s distracting.
Shrinking it’s video playback square helps but it’s still like a camera flash.

I bought back my KX88 and TX816 from the guy it sold it to in the early 90s for 400 USD.
A great reminder of how far we’ve come with synthesis since then.
Kronos has an FM Engine that is really great, the FM8 by NI is good but my ancient FS1r module still is a one stop FM shop.

OP
Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
update:

availability and delivery snags have thwarted my 61 key downsizing.

sticking with my Studiologic SL-88 Studio for now.

<edited>

Last edited:
Top Bottom