1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retail box packaging...

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Lee Blaske, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

Last year, of all the sample libraries I bought, I only bought one that was shipped to me in a box (Spectrasonics Keyscape). Interestingly, though, it seems like most sample library developers are still showing pictures of boxes for their products on their websites. In a lot of cases, I would think there have never been boxes for these products, only PhotoShop mock-ups. And really, when you get down to it, why would anyone ever want to buy a library on physical media anymore? Revisions usually start happening before a retail package would be out the door.

Anyway, I wonder how long the cliché of a picture of a product in a box will be around. The box is now kind of like a rotary dial telephone wired to the wall.

And secondly, thinking that boxes are definitely on their way out, I wonder what the chances are that they'll become collectables. (Thinking about this as I'm about to dispose of a LOT of them.) ;)

2. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
  3. Sopranos

Sopranos Senior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Not to mention, I would hope not to pay extra money into any packaging/boxes as direct download is already necessary.

4. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

I never understood the box images either. It might be a marketing gimmick whereas the sight of a physical box supposedly implies greater value, which could help prompt a sale.

Physical media still has its place, though. For example, when I bought Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra, I spent hours monitoring the downloads of roughly forty multi-gigabyte files. A flash drive would have been more convenient.

I've kept all my music software boxes from 1993 to 2013, from Cakewalk 2.0 to Cubase 7.

5. Vovique

Vovique Senior Member

Aug 11, 2013
    So have I. Cakewalk, Cubase, Pro Tools, East West, Kontakt boxes - all in a big black plastic bag. DVD sleeves are on the shelf though!

6. bozmillar

bozmillar Senior Member

Nov 26, 2015
    It's definitely a marketing thing. People tend to value physical products more than software, and making it look like a physical product makes it feel more valuable.

Now, whether or not this actually has any meaningful value on sales is another question. There's a lot of dumb things you have to do in the name of sales/marketing, 90% of which make no logical sense.

Josh Richman likes this.
  7. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I will depress you guys. I'm not a hoarder, I split time between NY and FL, and go out on tour support, digitized 98% of my music and video so most of my boxes have gone to the recycle bin. Don't hate me.

ps I love vinyl album art though and have over 6,000 lp's

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Jaap and Lee Blaske like this.
  8. Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    I still have the box for Hollywood Strings Diamond, but indeed I would guess most libraries don't have a cardboard box anymore.

9. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    +1. I don't save or collect anything that I don't actually use.

And yeah, the box mockups are nothing more than a marketing gimmick to lend perceived "value" to the software, since we're obviously evolutionarily hardwired to associate material worth with tangible, physical items that have three dimensional size & weight.

10. OP
    OP
    Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

Yeah, I suppose the image of a package makes all of those 1's and 0's tangible, and worth paying for.

I am seriously thinking of doing a major purge, though. All those boxes are taking up a lot of space. Contemplating whether or not it's worth it to take the physical media out of the box and save it. Probably a waste of time. For example, I've got a ton of boxes for VSL libraries, even going back to the GigaSampler days. All of the VSL stuff is currently online in my account. Does make sense, though, to have it backed up to a hard drive in case of a drive failure, where you need to get back up and running, fast without endless downloading.

I really do like the security of companies where re-downloading products you own is not a big challenge. VSL, Spitfire, etc. are pretty straightforward. Some, like OrchestralTools, probably require direct contact and an explanation of why you lost the software.

11. I personally love the boxes, but I'm old school and also still prefer buying a music CD over downloading....totally loving the comeback of vinyl.

FinGael likes this.
  12. PerryD

PerryD Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    A photo of actual content would be boring. :) 10011000111001100111000111001100...etc. :)

yannistzav likes this.
  13. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I think it's for that vintage sound - like still using rotary dials on the interface ;)

14. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    I'll be the first who will buy an iPhone with a physical rotary dial and a shutter release.

dpasdernick likes this.
  15. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I have every box for every library I bought since around 2002. Chicks dig ‘em.

16. SchnookyPants

SchnookyPants I never metaphor I didn't like

Apr 26, 2016
    42.709, -83.020
    Downloads don't look that great under the ol' Christmas tree. Have you ever tried wrapping one? Yeesh.

17. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    I quite like the box art mock ups for downloadable products but only if the vendor uses recycled cardboard.

Arviwan likes this.
  18. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I actually prefer boxed software! Those old, oversized EastWest boxes are just plain cool. Being able to have a backup on physical media is appealing as well. Im old school I guess.

19. Batrawi

Batrawi Senior Member

Jul 9, 2016
    As long as we call it a sample "library"..as long as our computers display a picture of a folder for "folders" etc..etc...
    We live in a world of virtual materials and not just VIs ;)

famousbass likes this.
  20. synthetic

synthetic Senior Member

Dec 15, 2005
    GC, CA
    People still buy software in retail stores. Often it's an empty box on the shelf and they give you a download code on your receipt.