What's new

Resale/License transfer LIST

Does anyone know if VSL has limits on how often you can resell?
how many times do you want, the process is so complicated that I have the problem to sell 1lib. per 5 months..and I have best price...
The worst thing is that you must send the dongle key by post to the other side of the world,
10% fee from full price seems in this perspective like kinderparty.

Sorry, I don't quite follow you. Are you saying you can resell VSL as many times as you want (but it's a pain to do)?

I would say it's sometimes impossible to resell VSL even if it's allowed. You must buy a new KEY for $40 or something, wait for it to be shipped. Send the key with the library to the buyer (expensive shipping around the world) and also minimum $50 to VSL or 10% of their price. So with some libraries, you spend more than what you are getting paid, so now point selling.

I would say it's sometimes impossible to resell VSL even if it's allowed. You must buy a new KEY for $40 or something, wait for it to be shipped. Send the key with the library to the buyer (expensive shipping around the world) and also minimum $50 to VSL or 10% of their price. So with some libraries, you spend more than what you are getting paid, so now point selling.
Thanks. So maybe the original post here should be changed, since it currently describes VSL as "easy" and "reselling friendly".

Thanks. So maybe the original post here should be changed, since it currently describes VSL as "easy" and "reselling friendly".

Yes, but the original post is so dated and is never being updated, so perhaps a new thread should be created by someone that can keep it updated.

I don't think you *have* to buy a new key to resell a library. You only have to do that if you have other licenses on the same key that you aren't selling. I guess that probably is the case for most people though.

I've been trying to sell my SE Strings for months now, and I've had to limit it to buyers in the United States thanks to the high shipping costs you mentioned. Between that, and their high transfer fee... yeah, it is honestly a pain in the ass. I can't say that my experience with VSL has been great, on any front.

Sorry, I don't quite follow you. Are you saying you can resell VSL as many times as you want (but it's a pain to do)?

ye, international shipping, example from EU to US cost ..from 90EUR - to 200, just for 1 tiny small dongle...
and surely people do not store at home x new keys for each license..
It is interesting that VSL have this obstruction, and they are on same security engine like Steinberg.

I don't think you *have* to buy a new key to resell a library. You only have to do that if you have other licenses on the same key that you aren't selling. I guess that probably is the case for most people though.

I've been trying to sell my SE Strings for months now, and I've had to limit it to buyers in the United States thanks to the high shipping costs you mentioned. Between that, and their high transfer fee... yeah, it is honestly a pain in the ass. I can't say that my experience with VSL has been great, on any front.

Yes, people might ship the key they have but they might have libraries they want to keep. They should really make it possible to resell without the Shipping, as you can perfectly do with any iLok library.

My adds to the resell list:

Can Resell
Chris Hein - seller pays €25 fee (sources: VI Thread, VI Classified, Best Service)
Libre Wave - (source: Libre Wave https://librewave.com/knowledge-base/do-you-allow-resale/ (knowledge base))
Soniccouture - Kontakt Player products only, €25 / $25 fee (source: Soniccouture support page)
Triple Spiral Audio (source: VI Thread)

Case by case (product specific or other factors)
Fluffy Audio - Not by default, but possible in a case by case basis (source: VI Thread)
Sonuscore - Allows The Orchestra resales, possibly other Kontakt Player products. (Source: VI Classifieds, Best Service.)
Soundiron - EULA states that do not allow license transfers.
Virtual Sound Stage 2 - Programmer said believes VSS2 is resellable but "don't quote me on that".

Can't Resell
Aaron Venture (source: below post)
Big Fish Audio (source: EULA)
FrozenPlain (possibly allows some case-by-case exception, source EULA)
Ilya Efimov (source: EULA)
In Session Audio (source: EULA)
Light and Sound (source: https://lightandsoundsamples.com/terms.html (EULA))
Loops de la Crème (source: EULA)
Musiclab (source: below post)
Performance Samples (source: EULA)
Red Room Audio (source: EULA, the post below)
Strezov Sampling (source: VIControl thread, EULA)

Last edited:
I just looked it up and sadly Red Room Audio doesn't allow resale.

As a sidenote, I don't think that's going to stop me from getting Palette anyway.

EDIT: Aaaand I just found out you'd already noted that and now I feel like an idiot XD. Oh well.

Last edited:
I know this topic has been discussed many times, and people on different sides will never agree.
But personally speaking, the fact that some developers are quite happy to allow reselling totally blows a hole in the argument used by those that don't allow reselling that it would make their business not economically viable.

Also we would be giving product tech support to people who had not generated any income for the company, which eventually adds up to a further loss in some way.

The new owner of a second hand licence will not cost extra time/cost for tech support since he will replace former owner that originally bought and deserved lifetime support. Since he will no longer use it, it is still for you about dealing with life time support for one person. Buying a second hand licence is also buying tech support service in addition of permission to use samples for commercial purposes . an exception : a 88 years old sells to a 20 years old : you loose money over the lifetime support ! In that case , check seller and buyer age and charge proportional product support extension based on average lifetime.. Could be simple.
On the other hand : 20 years old who sells to 80 years old : you save money over lifetime support !
And if you automate procedure on an user friendly web site, costs to deal with transfer are reduced.
And one more thing : maybe the seller wants to get rid of an old product to buy your new products ;) there is an income for you there...and everybody is happy : Amateurs and beginners can have can have fun with nice old pro toys , and pros can have fun with latest pro toys !

Last edited:
Just to be clear, if you die, Spitfire will allow your spouse or another member of the family to use your licenses.
Hey is this verified somewhere because that has actually stopped me from purchasing things sometimes. When I was 20 it was not even on my radar. But now every purchase is questioned in the sense of-- is this $200 I can afford to burn forever if I'm hit by a bus tomorrow? If it could go to my estate on the other hand that would be awesome.

I guess this is something software companies will have to seriously start dealing with in a few years. I mean aren't they going to get suspicious when my great grand children are updating that same Cubase license for 100 years..? :)

Is there any interest in doing a list with products/companies that do demo's (as in software, video doesn't count) or cheaper versions of their software for testing?

I'm not one for reselling an sich myself, but I do now limit my software purchases to things I can actively test.

Top Bottom