What's new

Resale/License transfer LIST

I wanna give a HUGE shout-out to Embertone for allowing and facilitating license transfers. I've acquired two of their licenses lately and the process has been simple and seamless. (Thanks, Lizzie!) So now I've got a Joshua Bell and a Walker D and I love them both. (Whereas a few of my other libraries are gathering dust, wasting away, being used by no one, because they don't work for me and I can't transfer them to someone else. I know, I know ... it's complicated. Just sayin' ;))

I couldn't see Kirk Hunter on the main list.

This is what is says on the website about license transfer:

"... Unlike your musical gear, music CDs, or even software, you cannot give away or sell this software to someone else without prior clearance from us. Remember, you did not purchase the library. You purchased a license to use our sound recordings in your music. This license cannot be transferred by you. "
Does this mean they allow resale? If yes, then what is the transfer fee involved?

Quick question, a friend of mine got an Orchestral Tools library in a sale for a project that never really happened. He actually never used the libraries and it is not even activated in Kontakt (so the serial can still be registered for the first time). He is based in the EU and I wanted to ask if he is allowed to sell the library to someone else? I read lots of different answers from that Orchestral Tools does not allow that, to that it is no problem to re-sell software within the EU. Would love to hear your opinions on that.

Does Soundtoys allow license transfer?

Edit: Also wondering if this thread is still being updated.

------------------------------------------

Collected so far (sorted alphabetically):

Reselling friendly
-
Addictive drums (free, easy)
- Ample Sound
- Arturia (seems to be free)
- AudioEase (?)
- Best Service (one time reselling, €25 fee, BS own products only)
- Camel Audio (slight fee)
- Chocolate Audio (read their FAQ)
- Chris Hein - seller pays €25 fee (sources: VI Thread, VI Classified, Best Service)
- Embertone (Name/address/phone/email needed)
- FXpansion ($50 fee)
- iZotope (free)
- Libre Wave - (source: Libre Wave (broken link removed))
- Native Instruments (possibly some exceptions)
- Orange Tree Samples (free, easy - possible exception for KPlayer libraries?)
- Output (conflicting reports, but seems yes)
- Project Sam (one time reselling, €25 fee, easy)
- Samplemodeling
- SampleTekk
- Soniccouture - Kontakt Player products only, €25 / $25 fee (source: Soniccouture support page)
- Sonuscore - Allows The Orchestra resales, possibly other Kontakt Player products.
- Steinberg (free, easy)
- Toontracks (one time reselling, conditions may apply)
- Triple Spiral Audio
- U-He (free, easy)
- VSL (requires a fee)
- Xsample

Case by case (product specific or other factors)
- Fluffy Audio - Not by default, but possible in a case by case basis (source: VI Thread)
- FrozenPlain (possibly allows some case-by-case exception, source EULA)
- Heavyocity* (usually not, but products partnered with Native Instruments are transferable via NI support)
- Impact Soundworks (not by default, but possible in a case by case basis)
- Soundiron
- Spectrasonics (software instruments only, case-by-case basis, transfer fee in most cases)
- Virtual Sound Stage 2 - Programmer said believes VSS2 is resellable but "don't quote me on that".
- Wave Alchemy

No friendly
- 8dio
- ArtVista
- Auddict
- Audio Bro
- Audio Imperia
- Bela D Media (stated in EULA)
- Big Fish Audio (source: EULA)
- Cinematic Strings
- Cinesamples
- EastWest
- Fable Sounds
- Garritan
- Ilya Efimov (source: EULA)
- In Session Audio (source: EULA)
- Light and Sound (source: (broken link removed))
- Loops de la Crème (source: EULA)
- Musical Sampling
- Orchestral Tools
- Performance Samples (source: EULA)
- Realitone (but has 30 day refund policy)
- Red Room Audio (source: EULA, this thread itself)
- Sample Logic (stated in EULA)
- Sonokinetic
- Spitfire Audio
- Strezov Sampling (source: VIControl thread, EULA)
- Vir2
- Virharmonic
- Wallander Instruments
- Zero-G (stated in EULA)

(list updated eventually)

Many are missing I know, so please, add more if you know about.

Cheers,
Carles

How about Ivory I and II by Synthogy? I could not find information on this.

Thanks!

That one's a can of worms. If you are EU, the answer is "maybe". Otherwise, I advise to not even contact them, as it's probably the strongest "no" of anything on the list.

How about Ivory I and II by Synthogy? I could not find information on this.

Thanks!

In the EU, re-sale and transfer of a software license is allowed. A few things you should know:

1. Yes, iLok transfer requires our approval. PACE charges a $25 transfer fee per license.

2. Synthogy also charges a transfer fee. Ordinarily this fee is $50 for the license transfer, but in the case of an Ivory 1 license, the fee would be $25. If you wish to proceed with a sale/transfer, payment can be made via Paypal. Please provide a valid Paypal email address for an invoice.

3. Ivory 1 is more than 10 years old now. It is no longer supported on recent operating systems. However, an Ivory 1 license owner may upgrade to Ivory 2 at a significant discount ($129). They do not need the old media or sample set, but they do need a valid Ivory 1 serial number.

In the EU, re-sale and transfer of a software license is allowed. A few things you should know:

1. Yes, iLok transfer requires our approval. PACE charges a $25 transfer fee per license.

2. Synthogy also charges a transfer fee. Ordinarily this fee is $50 for the license transfer, but in the case of an Ivory 1 license, the fee would be $25. If you wish to proceed with a sale/transfer, payment can be made via Paypal. Please provide a valid Paypal email address for an invoice.

3. Ivory 1 is more than 10 years old now. It is no longer supported on recent operating systems. However, an Ivory 1 license owner may upgrade to Ivory 2 at a significant discount ($129). They do not need the old media or sample set, but they do need a valid Ivory 1 serial number.

Hi Leo, sorry for the delay in replying...

Here is the reply from Synthogy to my inquiry:

-------

Dear Andre,

As with many software products, the Ivory software may not be sold or transferred to another user. The Synthogy End-User License Agreement that you accepted when you installed and registered the product does not permit resale or transfer of ownership, and the right to use the software is granted solely to the original owner, specifically and exclusively (see Section 2 of the Ivory EULA, included below).

Regards,

Synthogy Support

-------

So, Ivory can never be resold, ever, transferred, ever. Another huge bummer in my day.

Hope this helps,

Andre

Is it truly impossible to resell Strezov's plugin? Can't you just sell your Strezov account pass and log?
In theory you could do that with most libraries, but if it's against the terms of the license it's clearly not allowed or supported.
There is also the issue that some licences use Native Access, so wouldn't you also have to 'sell' your Native Instruments account alongside it?

In theory you could do that with most libraries, but if it's against the terms of the license it's clearly not allowed or supported.
There is also the issue that some licences use Native Access, so wouldn't you also have to 'sell' your Native Instruments account alongside it?
Indeed 😅

UVI should go on the friendly list.
Easy transfer via iLok license - just need to pay iLok's annoying $25 USD iLok license transfer fee.

Within about 24 hours of request, the product then shows up in your UVI account to download, with all the newest updates, instruction pdfs, etc, exactly the same as if it was full retail product.

Top Bottom