What's new

Report: Apple to remove the entire case and screen from 2022 iPhones

Concrete evidence needed for this security debate? Look at Googles core business model and compare to Apple.
Yes, I think it's fair game to evaluate the motivations of a company to infer how it will manage your data. The model of most of Google's business units hinges on data collection and analysis. And you can see this bias manifest technically comparing some of the user privacy decisions they make particularly with Chrome (compared to the Mozilla Foundation with Firefox), and when comparing the lengths of hardware security in the iPhone to at least the Pixel phones.

I don't use any Apple product. I use Linux and Windows on my PC, and Android on my phones, and mainly the reason for this is control and hackability. I limit my use of Google's ecosystem, and routinely monitor of those Google services I do use. Google still knows altogether far too much about me.

To a common user, I entirely understand the appeal of the Apple ecosystem and I think it's a better default choice from a data privacy perspective.

That said, I'm friends with one Googler who said he was surprised at the corporate culture related to user data. Going in, he said he kinda expected a lot of mustache twirling, but in fact he was pleased to see how seriously they seem to take the responsibility. And that was definitely great to hear, but even so, when your business model depends upon maximizing collection of user data, treating that data with some sensitivity only gets you so far.

Don't think I'd have a problem with that

My only problem is the lack of a headphone jack (because I don't want to charge Bluetooth headphones and because I use my iPhone with wired ones that I like). I could deal with an adapter that has a Lightning port + a headphone jack so I can listen in bed while charging, but without a "charging" port I don't see how that would work.

What I don’t understand is if Apple implemented this how would people who are traveling recharge the phone? Not to mention accessories like wireless headphones & don’t forget the unreliablity of Bluetooth in general.
I understand the concept theoretically but I don’t think the technology at this time is ready for this move.

I voluntarily gave up a mobile phone all together nearly two years ago. Best decision I've ever made. I can iMessage and FaceTime via my iPad, MacBook Pro, iMac, etc. when I'm on wifi. Just not tethered to the world anymore... and it feels great.

Edit: And google voice if I really need to make a call to someone without an iPhone.

Last edited:
I voluntarily gave up a mobile phone all together nearly two years ago.

Other way around here. We got rid of our land lines almost two years ago. Now we have a number-parking service with a message telling people to call our mobile #s or email us because we're sick of getting junk calls all day long.

It was way out of hand.

Other way around here. We got rid of our land lines almost two years ago. Now we have a number-parking service with a message telling people to call our mobile #s or email us because we're sick of getting junk calls all day long.

It was way out of hand.
Humans pretty much destroy everything good. I was all-aboard the move to smartphones back before they were called smartphones. Maybe I'm just in a meh mood, but I've lost faith that humanity can have anything good without turning it into some sort of tethered prison sentence. :blush:

What I don’t understand is if Apple implemented this how would people who are traveling recharge the phone? Not to mention accessories like wireless headphones & don’t forget the unreliablity of Bluetooth in general.
I understand the concept theoretically but I don’t think the technology at this time is ready for this move.
It charges on courage.

Loving my SE. It broke earlier this year, would have cost £260 to repair so I bought a new one. Nothing they currently have comes close - it's small, fast and has a headphone jack.

I had a vague idea that they were sort of learning with the new MacBook Pro where they effectively said "ok, we screwed up". It still didn't have any regular USB or SD ports though, so my 2015 one is superior. 2015/2016 was a golden era, its been downhill ever since.
What is SE ?

Erik

Solution: Buy Android.

if they could get an imessage alternative i wouldbe all over it. but tried going the android route and some of these basic things just didnt work, sync up or it needed some wierd ass solution, workaround or deep dive into something more than it just works.. which is the case w iOS.

I use my iPhone and iPad with an iMac. Sync is the worst. It often takes 20 minutes if I want to push a song to the iPhone or iPad because sync hangs on doing a backup first, even if I did a backup 5 minutes ago. Calendar and Notes sync though are still magically good at this point.

that is true... seems in the past year or two sync has been issue when it wasnt like that. i think its steve jobs attention to details as a consumer would of been all over this.

im guessing same could of been said for removing the heaphone jack.. and there we go.. samsun and others followed and no one cares anymore.
same as dvd drives. crazy att he time. now its hard to find.

but i do agree on pushing the envelope where tech is not there yet and screwed us sometimes. . they want Qi fast charging so im sure theyll sell some sort of gadet for traveleers.
and blue tooth/apple headphone seems to work better than off brand bluetooth based on what ive read.
so maybe apple has an alternative coming or knowledge on how to get better bluetooth pairing.

that might be why there are releasing like 5 models in 2020. that way its not a full on risk. some have it, some wont. thats my guess.

but seeing how ive been using my iphone X, i got the qi charger and wireless headphones and i personally wouldnt have an issue if the port was gone.

If you don’t find the Apple ecosystem appealing then you don’t get it. That’s fine. Respect other people’s preference and move on.

Saying that someone is not "getting it" is not exactly respecting other people's preferences either...

There is nothing to get. Everyone has different tastes and opinions and that's fine.

Personally I've been using Macs for 15 years, I've owned multiple MBPs/iMacs/iPads/iPhones. I love macOS and I tolerate iOS, but I've never liked like Apple's ecosystem which includes its apps and services.

if they could get an imessage alternative i wouldbe all over it. but tried going the android route and some of these basic things just didnt work, sync up or it needed some wierd ass solution, workaround or deep dive into something more than it just works.. which is the case w iOS.
Hmm. I went from iPhone to Android and have never regretted it for a moment.

My 88 year old mom uses an iPhone to play Words With Friends, to make calls using Siri voice assist, to text hilariously, to email a little, to Google stuff etc. Not exactly tech savvy, my mom. My stepfather was a systems analyst for IBM, and in over 50 years of marriage to him my mom still can’t operate a pc.

iPhones are pretty easy to figure out.

The next jack we get from Apple will probably be directly into skull. After that, it’ll be wireless telepathy.

Top Bottom