Renaissance - 8Dio Supercluster contest

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by JEPA, Apr 15, 2019.

1. JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    Hey guys! here my entry to the contest:

2. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I like this quite a lot—powerful, majestic, yet not quite tamed: the sublimity of the universe. Except the horn or flugel horn (or whatever it is around :20 and various moments after) bugs me in a not good way, and it is not the lines, I think, but their tone and the way they are sitting in the mix.

richardt4520, whiskers and JEPA like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    Yeah, i have had difficulties to sit it well there in the mix, because it was not the full instrument but the try-pack of 8Dio, only legato articulation and 1 and a half octave... i had to make magic to expand the range... :) The tone is affected as i transposed the samples, i tried to give with the eq and some saturation a natural feel, but there you have! Thanks for listening!

richardt4520, whiskers and jbuhler like this.
  4. richardt4520

richardt4520 Active Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Aw man, that's beautiful! I was listening to some of the submissions and it seems like it fell into 2 categories: either atmospheric/electronic, or more traditional with horns. I went old school 60s/70s NASA documentary with the big brass thing, which wasn't the smartest move since I don't have much 8Dio Brass. Love the way you bridged both electronic/atmospheric and orchestral. Nice!

JEPA and jbuhler like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    where is your track? would gladly hear it! cheers!

6. richardt4520

Feb 2, 2018
    Ahh...It's cheesy! Sounds like every old space documentary I watched when I was a little kid but I had fun doing it anyway! haha

JEPA likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    Wow! i like it a lot. It has a lot of character and you really got the spirit of that era, the 70s? Really inspiring how one can guide the writing :) You got also some nice vintage "space" early reflections :cool:

8. richardt4520

Feb 2, 2018
    Thanks, man! It's kind of fun to do those contests where they limit what you can use. I've been doing library music so that's the first time I've ever tried scoring something to video. I've got a lot to learn before it flows and syncs like yours did to the picture.

9. OP
    OP
    JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    thanks for the compliment! you got some special character i like very much, because i remember the TV series and documentaries of my childhood, i am of the ones who could see black and white TV, don't know how much ppl here belongs to the club ;)

richardt4520 likes this.
  10. richardt4520

Feb 2, 2018
    I was on the tail end of black and white tv! There were still quite a few around when I was litlle!

JEPA likes this.