Remote collaboration software ?

Discussion in 'Workflow Tips & DIYs' started by dgburns, Sep 8, 2018.

1. dgburns

dgburns it was done an hour ago, but I can't help myself

Nov 4, 2012
    Are any of you recording and collaborating remotely with others?

Working 'together' but remotely has always been- bounce out a file and they load up in their DAW and send back the results of the recording session.

I've looked at the VST Connect SE in Cubase 9.5, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using this? It seems like a great solution for working with remote musicians, aka 'singer' with limited technical skills. I like the idea of it.

curious...

Alexandre likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    dgburns

Nov 4, 2012
  3. still_lives

still_lives Senior Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Splice is sort of billed as "GitHub for musicians," though I haven't tried it myself. It appears to handle version control, as well as conveniently tracking who did what to which track, etc.

So far, I've only done one-on-one collaborations remotely, and this has been accomplished easily enough with an agreed-upon file naming scheme and a Google drive. Using the same DAW has helped a lot too, and any plugins we don't both have just get printed to audio.

If I'm working with someone like a singer who doesn't really know the DAW, I can use something like TightVNC to help them get set up to record properly, at least on the software side of things. Sometimes this is easier than trying to explain something entirely over the phone.

4. Sample Fuel

Sample Fuel Senior Member

Apr 21, 2018
    It works as advertised....it is amazing how good it works.

5. OP
    OP
    dgburns

Nov 4, 2012
    Gotta spend more quality time learning to work from a distance, I see big possibilities in this field in the future. In my future anyway.

I realize everyone thinks about ‘doing it all alone’ in the box by themselves with sample libs, but I think the future is in collaborating from a distance. Across the globe.

Fab likes this.
  6. Fab

Fab Senior Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Certainly I agree for soloists and bands, less so for the 60+ piece orchestra > Isn't that why sample libraries become so popular ?