Relentless problems with Metagrid connectivity

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by EmmCeeSq, Jan 12, 2019 at 1:35 AM.

1. EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Ah, so it's happened again. I have a great setup, with two ipads running instances of metagrid. I really like metagrid, and it speeds my workflow no end. But the connectivity is absolutely awful. I have the whole thing up and running for days at a time, and suddenly, bang, metagrid won't talk to Cubase. I can go in, uninstall all the controller info, and get it working again, but it's a huge faff.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues and are there any (more reliable) alternatives to metagrid? I'm getting bored of having to babysit the thing, and not knowing whether it will work from one day to the next.

Many thanks

Mike

2. OP
    OP
    EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    And a computer restart has fixed the problem (for now). Changed nothing else, but that's a good chunk of time wasted. Definitely in the market for a more reliable soft-touch controller, if anyone has any ideas. Metagrid is a brilliant app, just to flaky for me to rely on.

3. Vonk

Vonk New Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I expect you've checked this, but the only thing that regularly goes wrong for me is the midiport settings in the metaserver element. For some reason it seems incapable of remembering the correct port assignments after a few sessions and substitutes other ports at random. Always the first thing to check and quick and easy to fix, it's the only thing that trips up this otherwise brilliant app.

4. OP
    OP
    EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Yes, thank you - great suggestion, and always the first thing I check. The problem for me seems to happen somewhere in between Metaserver and Cubase itself. I find messing about with the settings in the Studio Setup>MIDI port setup dialog box usually brings things back to normal, but not always, and it usually requires several restarts. Which, when you're working with a large orchestral template, really does increase the loading time.

5. greggybud

greggybud Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Things I have consistently noticed is any turn on/off of usb device when a Cubase project is running screws the metaserver midiport settings. Also once my PC boots, metaserver opens, i need to allow a few seconds for metaserver to load the settings, otherwise they show blank.

But in Cubase, Studio set up midi port settings should always be consistent. The solution of "messing about" with these settings seems strange. What happens if you import the settings? Does this somehow refresh it to make communication with Metagrid work?

6. OP
    OP
    EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    "The solution of "messing about" with these settings seems strange"

It does, and I'd love to know why changing the settings works. Yesterday's problem was (for the first time in a long while) in the metaserver app (as detailed by Vonk upthread). Seems to have been behaving itself for a couple of days. Love the app, now couldn't work half as well without it - it's just annoying. I have a similar problem with my Nektar P1 controller - sometimes it'll just lock itself into 'internal' mode and refuse to play ball. Really irritating!

7. Vonk

Vonk New Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I've just abused my Cubase installation with usb disconnects & reconnects, but didn't get any disruption to the metaserver settings. I've never known metagrid to stop working once it's operational. I agree it can take a minute or so after startup before meteaserver comes on line. About 80% of the times the correct settings are remembered, but sometimes random ports are allocated, so I'm just in the habit of checking while Cubase loads.