What's new

Released through Distrokid, now how to correctly pair artists on music platform?

osterdamus

Remember
Some time ago I released my first track via distrokid. It was a collab with an established artist who is also using Distrokid and was already on Spotify etc.

In terms of adding the other artist to my track at the Distrokid track registration, this was done successfully.

When the track turned up on Spotify, it was correctly put on my profile, but the other artist was represented with a new Spotify profile with similar name (now with one track on the profile) and not pointing to his existing profile. I guess I sort of expected that it would be handled correctly, especially because Distrokid has the information on both artists involved in the track.

How do I or the other artist update my track to point to his existing profile. Should this be rectified at Distrokid level or at Spotify for Artists level? Does he need to claim the new profile as his and then merge it with his existing profile, or something similar? Or is it on me to change it?

It turns out this happens to a lot of people, including me. I distribute through CDBaby but went through Spotify to fix it.

It took a while but was pretty straightforward - I just dug up some Spotify contact address or maybe got it from CDBaby and they took care of it. I've seen stories from others who had much more difficulty.

My problem was not having my music assigned to someone else but having other people's music assigned to me.

I can't imagine how Spotify's artist database can be so bad that it allows that to happen. I bet it's never happened to a major artist...

Similar situation with CDBaby. I recently submitted a Neo-classical-ish track and because CDBaby offers extremely limited genre choices, I chose the genre "Classical" with sub genre "Modern". Because I chose Classical, I was not aware there is a rule which states that any Classical tracks must be published with your real name, and you can't use your artist name.

This really pissed me off, because I only want my tracks published under my artists name. So on Spotify, they created a new profile with my real name to house this track. I contacted CDBaby to try and resolve the issue but they said the only way to remedy is to delete the track and start all over again! Seriously? Because of this, I will never be using CDBaby again.

Has anyone had an issue like this and able to get it fixed through Spotify?

Similar situation with CDBaby. I recently submitted a Neo-classical-ish track and because CDBaby offers extremely limited genre choices, I chose the genre "Classical" with sub genre "Modern". Because I chose Classical, I was not aware there is a rule which states that any Classical tracks must be published with your real name, and you can't use your artist name.

This really pissed me off, because I only want my tracks published under my artists name. So on Spotify, they created a new profile with my real name to house this track. I contacted CDBaby to try and resolve the issue but they said the only way to remedy is to delete the track and start all over again! Seriously? Because of this, I will never be using CDBaby again.

Has anyone had an issue like this and able to get it fixed through Spotify?
I've had my tracks go to the wrong profile on Spotify before, I contacted them and they sorted it out for me. Now in Distrokid registration you can link your Spotify account so it allows goes to the correct profile.

Top Bottom