What's new

RELEASED: Straight Ahead Jazz Horns, revamped for 2017 by Impact Soundworks! Demos & video inside!

Another big wish for the next update: Ability to toggle the smart voicing script on and off on the fly. That way I can switch between thickened line and individually written lines without having to load all the instruments once more in a new Kontakt instance.

And while I'm at it, a minor bug: When triggering Long Falls on the Saxes multi at low dynamics, Alto Sax 2 hangs on its note while the rest of the saxes do the fall.

Another big wish for the next update: Ability to toggle the smart voicing script on and off on the fly. That way I can switch between thickened line and individually written lines without having to load all the instruments once more in a new Kontakt instance.

And while I'm at it, a minor bug: When triggering Long Falls on the Saxes multi at low dynamics, Alto Sax 2 hangs on its note while the rest of the saxes do the fall.

We've already thought of this, actually. We can definitely do that.

Additionally, we'll take a look at the Alto Sax bug.

If I replace the instruments in the SV multiscript with the normal instruments from the library (with GUIs and stuff) will it cause any issues that you guys are aware of? I'd like to still go in and adjust the articulation mapping and whatnot while using the voicing script, but it would appear this is not possible unless the single instrument patches are reloaded into the multi.

Also great job on the library. It made me care much less about the stupid fable sounds never arriving update.

You can expand the instruments in the SV multis and edit them however you want! Just click the instrument icon ("ISW", right under the wrench).

Would the smart voicing multiscript work with bravura brass? I'd love to hear it with the humanization. I don't have bravura on my laptop though so I can't test it out.

Additionally, we'll take a look at the Alto Sax bug.

I just noticed today that sometimes the Alto 2 sax stops responding to CC 1. The dynamics slider still moves, but the note just hangs there. Might be related to the fall bug.

Any ballpark idea of when the next update will be out?

Would the smart voicing multiscript work with bravura brass? I'd love to hear it with the humanization. I don't have bravura on my laptop though so I can't test it out.

The multiscript sending harmonies and the input velocities would work just fine with any Kontakt library.

Unfortunately, the multiscript humanization feature requires that the library directly supports the protocol used (it's a handful of specific NRPN messages that have to be responded to in the Kontakt script).

I just noticed today that sometimes the Alto 2 sax stops responding to CC 1. The dynamics slider still moves, but the note just hangs there. Might be related to the fall bug.

Any ballpark idea of when the next update will be out?

Interesting... we've had similar bugs and fixed them.

The next update will likely be out in the next 4-5 months. We apologize for the delay, but we have a ton of other cool sample library projects coming up that require our attention, especially after remaking SA Jazz Horns took up more than half a year of our time. After we catch up on our other projects, we will be updating SA Jazz Horns very nicely, including:

-New content for the Smart Voicing. New multi setups, and more voicing styles for current setups.
-Muted Brass instruments (!!!) Trey has been working on this.
-Lots of bug fixes based on user feedback!

Stay tuned for later this year!

Don't worry, Nabeel is still working with us! He just hasn't been spending much time on the forums. The update is taking a little longer than expected because Trey (who created all the voicing tables) has been touring actively. However, as of a week ago he's back so we're looking forward to getting the ball rolling again.

So it's been a year, and I soooo want to use this library way more than I am right now. Unfortunately the still unaddressed bugs makes it a frustrating exercise, so the library ends up gathering dust. That's too bad, because there's a lot to like, and it feels close to working like it should.

So, please ISW: What's the status of the update? This library was already abandoned once before you took it aboard, so it would be nice with some news to stop the creeping feeling of deja vu :)

cc @zircon_st

Hi guys, Nabeel here.

Trey (from Straight Ahead Samples) is still very busy with his other work and so the Jazz Horns update is being pushed further and further back.

The Smart Voicing standalone system idea is still on the table, but honestly we have to figure out the best way to sell it, because it is essentially just a script you can pop into any multi and share with people as a text file, and there's literally no way to copy protect that.

It should be mentioned that ISW has a lot of other projects on the table outside of SA Jazz Horns; we have a big variety of libraries planned this year, and with only me and Mario scripting, there's only so much we can get to.

I'll talk to Andrew when he returns from his vacation about pushing this up in priority, since it has been a year now and it's about time. If not, I probably can at least look at the sax bug.

Hi Nabeel.

Great to see signs of life from you guys.

I get that you are busy with lots of projects, but this one is a little special seeing as the original ISW release was supposed to address the usability issues that plagued the older SA! version. Of course a shiny update with fixes and improvements / new features would be very nice (and I really hope that will happen) - but right now the most important thing would just be a few bug fixes to alleviate some frustrating behavior.

Hoping for a small fixer-update soon-ish (bonus points if it includes automatable Approach :) )

Honestly, from your business standpoint, why even think about selling the Smart Voicing algorithms as a separate product when you can easily get customers (like me) to pony up for the full Jazz Horns product, and keep your algorithm investment protected? Instead, why not do this, which would make your existing product even more compelling:

-New content for the Smart Voicing. New multi setups, and more voicing styles for current setups.

Top Bottom