1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstalling OS and Kontakt libraries (Win)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by FinGael, Sep 11, 2017.

1. FinGael

FinGael Senior Member

Jul 14, 2016

I am quite new to Kontakt libraries - have been using them for about a year and a half.

Now I am in need of reinstalling the operating system to my DAW.

I am using Win7 64 (Pro), Sonar Platinum and Kontakt 5.5.X. I have planned to update Kontakt to 5.6.8 after reinstalling the OS.

Do I need to uninstall these libraries somehow - to avoid losing activations, or can I just format the drive and do new clean installs and activate the libraries after installing the OS?
  2. Dominik Raab

Dominik Raab Senior Member

Apr 29, 2011
    My system drive crashed a few months ago, and reinstalling my Kontakt libraries (that I couldn't uninstall because of the crash, of course) was a bit confusing with the new NI Access thingy, but lost activations weren't a problem. If you've got the libraries on a different drive, you don't even have to reinstall them. Install Kontakt, then open NI Access and enter your serial numbers for the libraries. You can then point NI Access to the previous install location, and it'll add them to Kontakt's library browser.

The confusing part for me was that before NI Access, you had to add the libraries within Kontakt and then authorise them. Adding now happens after authorisation. "Add library" button in Access, enter serial number, then point to the correct location. As soon as you know it's different now, it's a piece of cake. Drove me nearly mad because I didn't know, heh.
  3. enCiphered

enCiphered Senior Member

Feb 24, 2017
    I thought the same but you will never be able to update your products via native access, if you decide to not re-install everything.

This happened to me a few months ago and I had to contact NI but they weren´t able to help me and I had to re-install the komplete software.
    Dominik Raab likes this.
  4. Dominik Raab

Dominik Raab Senior Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Oops, didn't know that. Thanks!