Reference vs Magic AB vs MCompare

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by dman007, Jun 13, 2018.

Which do you use mainly for referencing and A/B ing ?

This poll will close on Dec 13, 2018 at 1:11 AM.
  1. Magic AB

2. Reference

3. MCompare

4. None

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dman007

dman007 Senior Member

Aug 31, 2017
    UK
    Reference vs Magic AB vs MCompare

I'm interested in people's real world experience using these...

Which of these do you prefer or use - and why?

Thanks.

Links to videos:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. I have MCompare, and a lot more of the Melda stuff beyond. It's great for what I need it to do - I know Magic A/B is similar but not quite as flexible, so either of those would be a good shout.

MCompare allows you to use multiple references, time-synced references, do blind tests etc. Very useful especially when you need to lean on the specific sound of a reference mix or mixes.

Kaufmanmoon and dman007 like this.
  3. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I prefer MCompare because it has the auto-gain compensation to protect from loudness deception.

Here's a video about using Magic AB with Perception, which I considered a while back. But IMHO the Perception plug is absurdly overpriced for what it is, so I went with Melda's MCompare.

4. ceemusic

ceemusic Senior Member

Dec 14, 2008
    New York area
    I've set up Ozone & Tone Balance to do this but prefer Reference out of the three.

dman007 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    dman007

dman007 Senior Member

Aug 31, 2017
    UK
    Why Reference?

6. OP
    OP
    dman007

dman007 Senior Member

Aug 31, 2017
    UK
    How about the multiple bands in Reference?

7. ceemusic

ceemusic Senior Member

Dec 14, 2008
    New York area
    It worked the best for me out the others. I will say it's not issue free & needs some updating. I've been using my ozone setup instead.

8. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    I have magic a/b but rarely use it. I just add a few reference tracks to the timeline and compare that way.

9. jcrosby

jcrosby Senior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Boston MA
    Have Magic AB and use it religiously. IMO reference mixing is just working smarter not harder, and nothing humbles a mix/master session like seeing how you stack up...

10. GtrString

GtrString Senior Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    I have Magic AB in all of my templates. Ive set it up with presets for the main genres I do, and love how easy it is to use.

I havent tried any others. Auto gain compensation might be nice, but Im not sure I need it for what Im using it for, and it might be added in a future version. So I find no reason to evaluate other plugs. Im happy.

11. Kaufmanmoon

Kaufmanmoon Matthew Kilford

Jan 25, 2015
    I use Sample Magic and have tried Reference. I wasn't convinced with the auto gain in reference, so tend to use metering to gauge the difference.

I made a review here about Magic A/B

They've told me they're currently working on a large update for it.

GtrString likes this.
  12. Chandler

Chandler Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    I use MCompare. I like that it has lots of slots for songs filters. The filters can help you compare the highend and lowend of you mix. You can also use it to listen to differces between things before/after compression, etc. The metering is great too.