Recording Rates - London Orchestras

Eboracum

OK...

How much is Abbey Road 1 for 8 hours with Engineer?

Who are the best Orchestral Fixers / Contractors in London?

How much are String players in London and does everything have to MU regulated?

Thanks

Matt Hawken

1. About £4k for the room and engineer, though this will vary on who you book and when. Don't forget you'll need a Pro Tools op, a conductor etc. as well.

2. Hilary Skewes is excellent. Worth starting there.

3. All the pro players are MU members. Depending on the end usage of your recording, there are varying rates, all set by the MU (bear in mind MU rates are minimums and can definitely go up!) but the contractor will tell you this.

I don't know what size band you're after but I would have about £15,000 for the day as a very rough ball-park figure to keep in mind.

JohnG

For London, I've worked a number of times at Abbey Road with Isobel Griffiths' team. They are superb; Jenny Nendick worked with us last time and was on top of everything.

Copyists -- Jill Streater's team. [email protected] http://www.globalmusicservice.com/associates.htm

London is very expensive but top-notch. Los Angeles is also excellent. Both have union rules so be sure to explain what the project is and how you expect to use the music (demo, library, game, tv -- etc.)

Good luck!

Scoremixer

To follow on from what John & Matt said -

- A day in AR 1 will be closer to 5k with engineer (depending on who you have) and 'extras'
- Protools op will be provided by the studio, so no need to worry about that
- Musician rates can vary hugely depending on what the useage is. You could very approximately budget around £180/player per 3 hour session on the film rate.
- As mentioned above, Isobel Griffiths (and everyone who works for her) and Hilary Skewes are excellent, the other peeps worth mentioning are COOL Music http://chamberorchestraoflondon.com/
- Fixers charge 10% on top of the musicians rates, it's the rate fixed by the MU so they're essentially the same in that regard
- Don't skimp on a copyist!

Matt Hawken

Adam knows a lot more than me, so trust his figures!

I have to emphasise his point about copyists and music prep. Do not underestimate the time it can take and stress it can cause! Definitely worth outsourcing to a pro.

JJP

I put dots and lines on paper.
Also be aware that the process of recording an orchestra will be a bit different until we get through Covid-19.

Rctec

Isobel Griffiths has been my fixer for probably 100 movies.
i don’t quite „get“ the sound of Cool Music. But you might like it.
Jill Streeter is a must. I don’t leave home without her...
Gavin Greenaway is my first choice as conductor...

any and all those names can help you! Ask questions....

Isobel Griffiths has been my fixer for probably 100 movies.
i don’t quite „get“ the sound of Cool Music. But you might like it.
Jill Streeter is a must. I don’t leave home without her...
Gavin Greenaway is my first choice as conductor...

any and all those names can help you! Ask questions....
By the way, HZ, I love watching the round table you did and wish this becomes a regular happening for all to appreciate 🍾

Matt Hawken

15,000 pounds for Abby Road and an orchestra (40pc? 60pc?) for the day??? This seems shockingly cheap for union rates... great if so!
I was assuming we were talking about a chamber string section - and consider that a 'starting from' price.

Full orchestra will be double/triple depending on forces. And unfortunately we're not going to be packing orchestras into studios for a while in these Covid-times.