What's new

Recording Cubase into pro tools same machine 2 sound cards

larry777

Hi,
I have cubase 8.5 pro running with steinberg ur 824 and pro tools 10 hd native running with digidesign 96 io on the same mac os 10.8.5. I have tried the mmc / mtc route to sync the 2 daws but it's buggy and laggy. Anyone using an external clock like apogee big ben or avid sync hd to run the 2 daws in sync ? or any other method that you could recommend ? And finally is it possible to record 8 tracks in protools using adat optical out from ur 824 to 96 io ? Thanks for you time.

I agree with givemeoughrope. Monitoring and recording through is so 2000's :grin: There are many ways to make bouncing work for what you need.

Using midi there's no way to get it to sync properly. The only way is if you're running 2 Steinberg or 2 Avid programs in which case it syncs seamlessly. I've heard that it might be possible using LTC or one of the other obscure sync methods that require the Sync HD but no one's ever confirmed that and I've contacted a number of techs in LA who all had no idea of this potentially better sync method. I've been using Cubase/Nuendo on the same machine because the sync issues bother me too much.

The Big Ben is a clock only so it wouldn't have any affect except for potential drift.

Adat optical is an issue at higher sample rates. It does 8 tracks at 48k, but only 4 at 96k and 2 at 192k, and you would still have the same sync issues. My suggestion is to run Protools as a slave, putting it online to follow incoming linear timecode (it does this very well) then feed it linear timecode from Cubase (or from a video master) You will probably still need a clock master (like big ben or a Horita black box (much cheaper)) but run some test first to see if there is any drift. If you are just planning to record at 44.1 or 48 adat optical may not be a problem.

All this trouble can be avoided if you bounce to disc in Cubase and import audio into protools, just make sure your start point is exact so you can place it in sync properly. It would probably be faster than realtime as well.

@Gerhard LTC sync between Pro Tools and Cubase is indeed possible, but just like MTC there are some annoyances. It is, however, more reliable than MTC. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen MTC sync just stop working for no apparent reason, I'd have enough money to invent a better way to do this damn thing.

But yeah, I agree: unless you're using PT for video hosting purposes, it's better to just not deal with syncing.

Thank you all for your answers, the real purpose of this is to host the video in pro tools, so it makes it easier
to be already lock to picture for the export. But rendering in place the tracks and syncing them with the time stamp
from cubase to pro tools isn't that much time consuming ,I have done it, and may be a time saver if the sync method
is as buggy as everyone say.
Thanks again.

Thank you, I tried with Cubase but didn't manage to make it work properly in sync. The new batch export in Cubase 11 saves a lot of time and then I can reimport in pro tools. Thanks again.

When you tried syncing the the two, did you test the Sync HD hardware + LTC method, or did you only use MTC? I'm trying to explore all possibilities before giving up on a Cubase + Pro Tools in position print system.

Top Bottom