What's new

Record midi note length and velocity on a predetermined set of notes?

Marco_D

I'm looking for a function that lets me do something like this:

1. Enter a specific sequence of notes, say CEGFEDC
2. start recording
3. when I press a key - any key - on my keyboard, the sequencer will record the note C, but at the position, and with the length and velocity determined by my real-time performance; then I hit any other key, or even the same key, and the sequencer will record E, still at the position and velocity of my performance.

Basically I want the sequencer to record all midi information, like when I normally record in real time, except it should ignore the 'note' information: any note I press on my keyboard will be overruled by the current note in the sequence I entered before recording.

I hope it's clear. To give you a bit of context, let's say I come up with an intricate melodic sequence, perhaps even an unplayable one. I could just enter the sequence manually on a midi roll, but I want to be able to get a human-sounding performance, with dynamics, accelerando, rallentando etc. So this function would allow me to determine the order of the notes first, and then record in real time only the rythmic and expressive information, without worrying about hitting the right key.

Does anything like this exist? (I'm using Cubase)

Thanks!

Not sure if it's possible with this approach but maybe you should consider the step input mode and make adjustement after ?

Yeah, I tried that: I basically record by always pressing the same note with the rhythm and expression that I want, and then add the notes afterwards, with the MIDI Input function. But it's really not the same, because I can't monitor the melody as I'm recording, as I would with the idea I had in mind.

Thanks anyway! Hopefully someone else has a solution. I'm thinking, if not on Cubase, there should be some plugin that does that.

Top Bottom