What's new

Recommended Midi Controller?

Alatar

Hi,

I am wondering what Midi controller you can recommend?
My Axiom Pro died. Therefore I want to buy a new Midi Controller. The Axiom Pro is a keyboard with Midi controls.
I do not necessarily need a keyboard (already have a digital piano). But I need a new Midi controller. Because I really miss the modwheel and the faders.

CACKLAND

Depends on your requirements. If it is just linear potentiometers (Faders) that you need, perhaps you could build one yourself.

Currently building one myself and its great, very rewarding. Very simple with little knowledge of electronics. However, understandably this isn't for everyone.

OP
A

Alatar

Hello Cackland,

no, I am not interested in building one myself. It is certainly very interesting, but unfortunately I do not have the time for that.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Mod Wheels are over rated, inaccurate and take a left hand away from playing.
But everybody uses them, and they just keep putting them on every "new" design?

For a few hundred bucks you could cascade 2 x Behringer BCF/BCRs together and have control over every aspect of MIDI and those excellent 100mm long throw faders.

Brand new you get 2 for 500.
Used both for 2-300.

Massive 3rd party support.

Morodiene

Senior Moment
Have you tried any controller apps for your iOs or Android? I haven't, but might be most economical since you don't need the keyboard part.

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Mod Wheels are over rated, inaccurate and take a left hand away from playing.
But everybody uses them, and they just keep putting them on every "new" design?

For a few hundred bucks you could cascade 2 x Behringer BCF/BCRs together and have control over every aspect of MIDI and those excellent 100mm long throw faders.

Brand new you get 2 for 500.
Used both for 2-300.

Massive 3rd party support.

What's the Modwheel on the Doepfer LMK4+ like? I can't imagine that being inaccurate!

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I got 2 Mod Wheels, both high quality, it's just it is such a small controller with high resolution it's damn near impractical.
I use them to move an FX Aux knobs from null to full.
Useful when you don't want to add volume but still make an 8 bar lick stand out and get wider from the effect.
Much prefer expression pedals, and on each BCF/BCR you get another extra Exp and Switch.

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I got 2 Mod Wheels, both high quality, it's just it is such a small controller with high resolution it's damn near impractical.
I use them to move an FX Aux knobs from null to full.
Useful when you don't want to add volume but still make an 8 bar lick stand out and get wider from the effect.
Much prefer expression pedals, and on each BCF/BCR you get another extra Exp and Switch.

I'm using a fader on a Fadermaster pro for mod wheel and it's super accurate. 100% accurate to values shown in Cubase. Although I do agree with you on having to use one hand whilst using the Modwheel, most of the time I never play anything in with both hands as I think it's better to record each line in separately. For sketching ideas I obviously play with both hands.

I'm about to start trying out an Expression pedal. Borrowed a Behringher Foot Controller so will see how it works out. It's only a matter of time before I buy a Breath controller and then that will change everything in regards to how many things at once can be done. In my opinion of course.

synthpunk

Same boat here, been using a Korg Nanokontrol. Right now I am leaning to the X-touch Compact $399 usd.
https://www.music-group.com/Categor...o/Desktop-Controllers/X-TOUCH-COMPACT/p/P0B3L

It has 9 motorized faders, 16 encoders, 43 buttons, and can be used as a DAW controller as well as Midi CC controller.

750-XTouchC_detail2.jpg

Last edited:

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Oh shit, didnt know the X Touch stuff was ready..?
Love the touch sensitive faders idea.
There'll be some great 3rd party support for those.

Jonathan make sure its the FC100 with CV and a 9 volt option.
They work great.

Depending on the controller you use these univetsal polarity adapters are great.
No sense settling for a pedal that sucks just because the polarity works.
These make sure EVERY pedal works.

Bought a dozen of these when Ashby owner stopped making them.

DSC_0301.JPG DSC_0302.JPG

Any experience yet with the x control?

I like the idea, but motorised faders may have this issue that when starting up a project or switching modes that the faders jump into position, thus creating a bit of 'shock' effect.

Is this somehow compensated by a slow(er) movement into the new position?

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Most would agree with you.
Im just abnormal and too use to long ribbons and expression pedals.

I want to invent a wireless Breath Controller that looks like a Cigar thats been half smoked.
Get an old Frank Sinatra hat and play/act/dance around.

Probably go over like a turd in a punchbowl.

synthpunk

Jim, There designed by the Midas Group and built on the new Music Group high end assembly line. It seems like the most bang for the buck out there right now. Has a DAW mode and Midi CC mode. I will use the faders for CC control and Kontact mic levels, and one channel for DAW mixing like you can do on a Avid S3 ($2700), and the 16 encoders for soft synth control.

I looked at the Nektar P1 but have read some reports from users about the fader quality being sketchy. It also does not have the P6 motorized fader. The new Presonus Faderport 8 looked promising, but after reading up its seems meant to be just a DAW controller and is short on encoders and is $100 more than the X-Touch Compact.

Luke, Raven looks interesting if you like touch control, but I have a Ipad for this, and it is also 65% more cost than a X touch and X touch has physical knobs and faders.

Silence, I havn't tried one yet, but Jeff Rona recommends the bigger model.

Screen_Shot_2016_09_26_at_1_40_06_PM.png

Oh shit, didnt know the X Touch stuff was ready..?
Love the touch sensitive faders idea.
There'll be some great 3rd party support for those.

Last edited:

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Luke, Raven looks interesting if you like touch control, but I have a Ipad for this, and it is also 65% more cost than a X touch and X touch has physical knobs and faders.

I think the true value is in the Batch Commander software. I have physical fader control with a Fadermaster Pro. The bonus of the Screen is it will update as the DAW does. Although I understand touch control isn't for everyone. Oh, and fine faders with Raven looks invaluable! Just my opinion though. The X Touch is the only thing Behringher have released that I think is worth buying but I'm still waiting to hear how they break after 3 months. Will have to wait and see but I've been burnt quite a few times by Behringher and I'm done buying from them at this point.

synthpunk

In the Deepmind 12 thread we have talked about a new Music Group (Behringer) pro assembly line that things like Midas, X touch, and the DM-12 are being built on, fingers crossed.

synthpunk

One bad thing I have found in my research, the promised midi editor for mac still has not come out. Logic users can probably get away with the Controller Assignments function.

Same boat here, been using a Korg Nanokontrol. Right now I am leaning to the X-touch Compact $399 usd.
https://www.music-group.com/Categor...o/Desktop-Controllers/X-TOUCH-COMPACT/p/P0B3L

It has 9 motorized faders, 16 encoders, 43 buttons, and can be used as a DAW controller as well as Midi CC controller.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
In the Deepmind 12 thread we have talked about a new Music Group (Behringer) pro assembly line that things like Midas, X touch, and the DM-12 are being built on, fingers crossed.

My favorite DSP Engineer from days of old is at that facility, not working for Behringer, but his company shares space with other cats from RME, and a few German developers.
The A32 Ferrofish has a SHARC DSP Processor inside of it, and nobody knows those chips better than these cats.
Super MADI on steroids. I was going to get one until the price jumped up over 2 large.
Its one of those Tax return items where you just break down and push the Pay Button while gritting your teeth...
If the synth is really cool I'm quite sure a pre pay will be made, that's popular for many new synths.

Definately watching closely...

Top Bottom