Recommended Light-Weight Orchestral Sketch Libraries

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by SimonCharlesHanna, Nov 30, 2018.

1. sonicscores

sonicscores Active Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Simon and others,

Amadeus is not a tutti sort of library. It has all the individual instruments and sections so please do the research before stating such facts and confusing others.

2. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    Amadeus definitely is a worthy contender as light-weight Orchestral sketch library.

The sounds are good and it's very light weight (with my settings, the full string sections Vn I, Vn II, Va, Vc, Cb together take up roughly 125 MB of RAM. It has single instruments and solo instruments as well. (e.g. Flute I and Flute II plus Flute ensemble. Same with e.g. Section Celli, Small Section Celli, Solo Cello).

Check out the walkthrough, for that price and sound, a very worthy contender. It's fresh, but as said - features all you need and is extremely lightweight.

3. brek

brek Senior Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Seems to compete with Garritan based on features and price range, but based on the walk-through this sounds so much better. This seems like an ideal library for students or others who aren't ready to invest hundreds/thousands of dollars into sample libraries (that will then necessitate even more gear purchases because their Macbooks aren't equipped to run them).

What's the catch? No sampled legato? No mic options? The samples themselves are open-source (edit: saw in the other thread they have NDA deals in place to source the samples from elsewhere)? Either way, this looks really attractive.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    MatFluor and MartinH. like this.
  4. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    After using Amadeus for an hour or so, I'd say it blows Garritan and Miroslav and The Orchestra out of the water and you get so much bang for your buck it's kind of a no-brainer, especially at the VI discounted price. There are a few things I don't love (very few), but overall the library can be used for pretty much anything, including full blown productions. It really comes down to talent.

As for no sampled legato? I actually prefer scripted legato myself. Take a listen to the sampled legato on 8dio's 8Dioboe, and you'll get an idea about how sampled legato can go wrong. And the Amadeus legato can be adjusted to your liking. I haven't encountered problems with it so far. I also like that the samples are recorded fairly dry. Kind of a must for me, personally.

I think the weakest part of the library are the solo strings (the solo brass and winds are terrific), but honestly, compared to some solo string libraries I've bought in the past, they hold up pretty well, especially when blended in with the full orchestra. My only real gripe is that you have to use Kontakt 5.8 and above. Because I'm still on Yosemite (hey, it works—until now), I can't download 5.8. Fortunately, the library also works in Kontakt Player, and KP 6 works on my operating system. I do miss being able to hit the wrench and play around a bit with the samples, etc., but I think I'll live.

This is not only an ideal library for students on a budget, but is pretty much an ideal library for any composer.

5. MarcelM

MarcelM Senior Member

Dec 15, 2014
    dont you think the orchestra sounds a bit better than amadeus? i was thinking about amadeus to use it on my laptop, but the only audio demo is average id say. no short notes for choir, right?

and while we are at shorts, i didnt like the string shorts too much in the walkthrough. you know, machine gun effect etc ;)

Sopranos and ScoreFace like this.
  6. sonicscores

Nov 23, 2016
    Obviously, you have not checked out the demos on the site. There are now two and the second one has shorts, and more demos are coming.

MartinH. and richard kurek like this.
  7. MarcelM

MarcelM Senior Member

Dec 15, 2014
    when i checked there was only one demo. i also checked the second, and i dont mean to be rude but i dont like the demos too much.

i will wait for some user demos here at VI and then make my decision.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I am not thrilled The Orchestra, no. And I think the demos on the Sonic Scores site are very good.

9. Daniel

Daniel Senior Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indonesia
  10. ohernie

ohernie Senior Member

Aug 4, 2015
    If this is anything like Colossus I wouldn't recommend it. Colossus was basically a grab bag of old sample libraries from different developers. I was looking at it as a virtual GM replacement. Probably one of my greatest disappointments for the money because there was no timbre or volume matching between libraries.

11. sonicscores

Nov 23, 2016
    How can you make a comment like this without owning the library and not listening to it. Sorry but you are just wrong. Some of the samples were recorded in the past three months, some this year.

I am seeing a common pattern here. The negative opinions are from those who have not purchased it. Those who have purchased it, love it.

Leslie Fuller likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I picked up Amadeus. It is the right kind of light weight but in-depth that I was after.

For the price it sounds fantastic and is very usable and quick which is great for sketch work.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

13. ScoreFace

ScoreFace Senior Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I thought about buying Amadeus as well as it has a very good price. But I have to admit that I am with Marcel, the audio demos didn't convince me, they sounded a little flat to me. Of course I can't judge about the product, I am only talking about my first impression. But of course, for that price, it is good value.

I have bought The Orchestra on the BF sale and I'm really loving it! :). It has all important articulations, plus a lot fantastic arrangement presets.

14. KallumS

KallumS Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Orchestral Tools Berlin Inspire 1 and/ or 2.

9.3gb footprint, very lightweight and with a decent amount of sections (1+2 violins, first chairs, solo instruments, etc). Includes a piano and harp as well as all of the essentials. 2 includes children and women's choir.

Not to mention sounds fantastic for such a light orchestra package.

The website for Inspire even states that it's designed to be run on computers/ laptops with 8gb ram.

TheSigillite likes this.
  15. Yes, it's basically the same as the old Colossus. It's all EW stuff though, including samples from many of their older libs, such as the same Steinway and in Symphonic Orchestra. For purely sketching, its okay and has a very small footprint. I still use the "Morphs" patches regularly, they are wonderful. I have used these in many productions.

16. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
  17. sonicscores

Nov 23, 2016
    Wolfie2112,

Are you saying this is East West stuff? There is not one sample from East West.

18. OP
    OP
    SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    yeah i did consider but I own everything that is contained in that library so I would just be paying twice for the same product. Not enough flexibility in there for me either.

19. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    I think they are talking about a different product - EW Goliath. I didn't realize it was a sketching library.

20. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    But AFAIK it's still an unfair "apples and oranges" comparison with Amadeus. Not that I have either one yet, but wouldn't Amadeus be more appropriately compared with other "full" orchestra options such as Garritan or Miroslav on the low end, and maybe SSO on the high end? Going through the instrument list in the user guide, Amadeus appears to have every single "standard" orchestral instrument in both solo and in ensemble patches.

Inspire, on the other hand, seems to be another "shortcut" sort of sketch library, ensemble based with perhaps a few solos thrown in, along the lines of Albion, CineSymphony Lite et al... It may be a great library, but you don't get the same precise control over each individual instrument for traditional orchestration purposes.

From what I can tell so far, Amadeus looks like a stellar solution for having a lightweight, easy-to-use but full-blown essential orchestra template. I already have GPO 5 for this, but Amadeus sounds, on first impression, like a significant sonic step up.