1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended iMac Specs

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jimjazzuk, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Pier Bover

Pier Bover Senior Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Mexico
    It doesn't make sense to work on a quiet acoustic environment for audio?

Heat is what really puts strain in the system and all iMacs have the same cooling system regardless of the CPU.

It seems that you are putting all i7 processors into the same bag which is simply wrong.

The 7700K is famous for the amount of heat it generates. Here is a thread on Intel's forums with 1000+ replies about this issue.

2. Pier Bover

Pier Bover Senior Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Mexico
    You can upgrade the CPU on the 2017 iMac. I posted a video in a previous post of a guy just doing that.

Crushes? It's about 20% faster in multithread performance and about 7% faster in single thread performance. Yes it's faster, but that's not even close to crushing in my book.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/i7-7700k-vs-i5-7600k-comparison-which-one-will-you-get.2050104/

3. agarner32

agarner32 Senior Member

Nov 7, 2015
    California
    For $200 ($180 Education Discount) I would think it's a no brainer to get the i7 even it doesn't "crush" the i5.

4. Pier Bover

Pier Bover Senior Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Mexico
    Except for the fact that it's one of the hottest i7 processor ever made. See my previous posts.

dcoscina likes this.
  5. agarner32

agarner32 Senior Member

Nov 7, 2015
    California
    Good information Pier. I'm very close to upgrading my 2013 iMac so perhaps I should not get the I7. Thanks for the information.

Pier Bover likes this.
  6. Damarus

Damarus Composer n stuff

Nov 15, 2017
    lol where are you getting all this information? Do you own a 2017 i7 imac, or do you just pull things off Macrumors? There are much hotter consumer processors out there.

The i7 7700k is roughly the same as the 6700k from last generation. A DAW will consume as much CPU as it can. Always use the better processor so you are not worried about CPU overload when you are working (unless your into that kind of thing). The i5 in the iMacs are NOT all the same. Depending on your price point, they come with a i5-7500, 7600, or 7600k. All vary in performance.

Why is heat and fan noise a concern when buying a rig? Especially from Apple? You don't think they have put that design through multiple tests, and benchmarks? CPU throttling only happens when your CPU is 100% and it cannot keep it cool enough for long periods of time. I highly doubt you will reach that working in a DAW.

The i7-7700k is one of the best, highest rated processors out there, next to the 8700k. I guarantee there will be little to no fan noise when using the iMac, let alone any noise that will hinder workflow..

rhye likes this.
  7. Pier Bover

Pier Bover Senior Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Mexico
    The hardware community has been discussing the heat issues of the 7700K for quite some time now.

You think Apple doesn't make mistakes? How cute. I've been buying macs for over a decade and I've personally suffered from flawed thermal designs by Apple a number of times.

Maybe you missed all the links shared in this thread about fan noise with i7 2017 iMacs?

I will unsubscribe from this thread since I really don't have anything more to add.

Cheers!

8. Exactly, it's not like the fan is that loud anyways...any system is going have some sort of noise unless you build a custom PC with fanless cooling. Even an i5 may have cooling issues under the right loads. Actually probably worse as the processor is not as powerful as the i7's.

rhye likes this.