What's new

Recommend me some ethnic libraries!

reimerpdx

Meat Popsicle
You get there by clicking on one of the A,B,C or D sounds, and selecting the Phrase Directory.[/QUOTE]

Pretty new to Omni, but I cannot for the life of me find the "Phrase Directory." Any hints/clues? It doesn't happen to be from a 3rd party, does it?

zigzag

Now, Kwaya is on the list because of the fact that I want an African choir as a centerpiece, not as a simple flavor. Kwaya seems the be the only option if you want that.
I had similar idea when I bought Kwaya, but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it work with Kwaya as a centerpiece. Note that I am still a beginner, so it may be just my inexperience. You may be able to pull it off, if you adapt the composition to fit the library (not the other way around). It may be more suitable as background or middle-ground layer.

The good: The sound and style of singers is great and unique. 4 men & 2 women voices (with separate volume control for each). Many syllables.

The bad: Only one velocity layer and no round robins. Only two "articulations" (short & long). One female singer has a smaller vocal range that the other one. No attack control (only release). Hard to program. Sometimes it doesn't switch syllable, if there isn't a sufficient gap between notes. There's a bug that won't let you select a syllable with a mouse and set the release time (I have to report it to the developer, so it may get fixed in the future).

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
You get there by clicking on one of the A,B,C or D sounds, and selecting the Phrase Directory.
Pretty new to Omni, but I cannot for the life of me find the "Phrase Directory." Any hints/clues? It doesn't happen to be from a 3rd party, does it?[/QUOTE]

You are probably only browsing the presets.
Each Omni preset is composed of 1-4 samples or synth SoundSources.
Load any preset
Underneath the name of the preset at the top you see: Orb/Main/A/B/C/D/FX/ARP
Select any one of the ABCDs that are lit. If it is "synth" change to "sample"
Click on it.
Now you will see the SoundSource Browser. These sounds are the building blocks for creating your own presets in Omni.
In the left hand (category) row, select "Phrases"
At that point you can limit your search by type, or I advise you listen to all of them, because there aren't that many and they're awesome.

FYI, before Spectrasonics made their own virtual instruments, they sold very expensive CD-ROM sets of sounds for various samplers. They still do, in fact. You can find them all here. Vocal Planet costs $399. Selections from Vocal Planet and other legacy libraries like Hans Zimmer Guitars and Heart of Africa are included with Omni and are identified as such in the presets.

One of the reasons Omnisphere sounds so good is that it is built out of a "best-of" from thousands of dollars of the most highly regarded sounds ever sampled.

These phrases aren't meant to be used on their own--they're meant to be used as source materials for new Omni patches. You can use them as is if you want, but be aware that they were used a lot in the past. :)

Select one or more of the phrases as sound sources for a preset and you can play them on the keyboard.

Let me know if you have any problems.

reimerpdx

Meat Popsicle
I have a whole new level of appreciation for OMNI.
And, a very deep thanks to you Tiger. You are a Frog among Men!

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
I have a whole new level of appreciation for OMNI.
And, a very deep thanks to you Tiger. You are a Frog among Men!
Glad to be of help. When I first got Omnisphere I took this free class, and it really got me started. I recommend it highly.

Granted there have been some advances in Omni since then, but you can check out videos on those things afterwards.

tim727

IMO nothing beats Tarilonte's libraries. You've already mentioned Forest Kingdom II ... I would definitely HIGHLY recommend that for the South American vibes. You may also want to take a look at his recent release "Dark Era" as although it's marketed as being more of an ancient European/viking kind of deal it has a lot of stuff that IMO is very applicable to South American and Asian ethnic music. Also Ancient Era Persia would be a great choice as a couple other users have mentioned.

You may also want to take a look at EWQL Silk as it has some instruments (like a nice Dilruba for example) that Tarilonte's libs lack.

Balkan Ethnic Orchestra is also fantastic though it's really geared toward a SE European "gypsy" type of sound (but it can be used in a more extensive "asian" capacity).

Last edited:

VgsA

Abel Vegas
FKII is among my fav libraries! Here's a demo (in case you haven't heard it).
Fun fact: instruments represent a young caracal hunting a bird for the first time. :)

kessel

wagakki-electro-otaku
I own World Suite. I bought it to have many ethnic instruments at a low cost and I’m satisfied with it. Its sound is okay, but if I have a dedicated library for an instrument I would use it instead of World suite.
I also prefer dedicated libraries. The only ethnic/world libraries I have were actually included in some other package, like the RA library that is included in EastWest subscription or the world instruments you get with Komplete 12 when purchasing some Native Instruments hardware.

For my works I rarely use them and prefer dedicated libraries like the ones by Sonica instruments or Taiko Creator to name a couple of examples, but I think it all depends on what kind of music you want to create, I'm definitely going for high quality Japanese instruments because I need accurate VSTi's in a very specific direction, but if you rather need variety of sounds that doesn't need to be as accurate maybe one of the world collections is the best choice.

OP
DS_Joost

DS_Joost

One day I'll fly away!
Well guys, I have finally bought the libraries I wanted now that the transaction of the synthesizer was complete. I got away with Kwaya, Forest Kingdom II... and an upgrade from Komplete 10 to Komplete 12 Ultimate!

That last one was great because it contains lots of usable stuff for this project plus some great extra additions, like Kontakt 6, Reaktor 6 and in June Massive X. I also love Action Strikes, Damage and of course the Discovery Series caught my interest. Plus the Una Corda and a whole host of great new effects. I am satisfied, very much so. Time to play around!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

kessel

wagakki-electro-otaku
Nice, enjoy them, at the end is all about making music and having fun, libraries are more than enough out there :)

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
Well guys, I have finally bought the libraries I wanted now that the transaction of the synthesizer was complete. I got away with Kwaya, Forest Kingdom II... and an upgrade from Komplete 10 to Komplete 12 Ultimate!

That last one was great because it contains lots of usable stuff for this project plus some great extra additions, like Kontakt 6, Reaktor 6 and in June Massive X. I also love Action Strikes, Damage and of course the Discovery Series caught my interest. Plus the Una Corda and a whole host of great new effects. I am satisfied, very much so. Time to play around!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
The Middle East library is my favorite thing about KU 12. Really a lot of fun to play and the MIDI patterns can be dragged into your DAW or even the desktop. I especially like the percussion instruments.

Two other world libraries I recommend that won't break the bank are SONiVOX's Atsia Percussion and Silk Road Percussion. The first is $2.49 and the second is $4.99 at Reverb.com.

Mark Schmieder

You can still get your SONiVOX stuff to work? I went back to review my libs recently because I thought I might find some of that stuff in Asia and Silk Road to be of good enough quality, but none of it will load anymore.

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
You can still get your SONiVOX stuff to work? I went back to review my libs recently because I thought I might find some of that stuff in Asia and Silk Road to be of good enough quality, but none of it will load anymore.
I've never had any issues with them. I just loaded them both up in Cubase and they work fine.

My advice would be to get Best Service's EthnoWorld 6 or UVI's World Suite, as they offer the widest selection.

Start by exploring what instruments will work best with your project, or just inspire you most. Depending on your project, you may find some of them good enough to use as is.

Otherwise, once you know the instruments you want, you can get great advice from people on this forum about the best single instrument libraries, although everybody will have a different opinion. :) Generally, that's your best bet, although some of my favorite instruments are in Tarilonte collections. The Evolution series is unparalleled for world percussion.
I pretty much agree with this post.

Top Bottom