What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

0.4.7 is out with some bug fixes.

Installing
If you're a new user (not upgrading), just follow these installation instructions.

Upgrading
If you've installed using ReaPack, you should eventually receive the update, but you can force it by following the updating instructions.

Here are the changes since 0.4.6:

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed bug where window pinned state was not preserved between restarts
I updated my version of reaticulate yesterday with no problem. When you have a moment please could you upload my revised BBCSO Pro reabank to your website - see above. I've added the new legato articulations where applicable so it should be complete now as the current website reabank already has the new mutes. I don't know if it would also be useful for me to post my Reaper template for each section of BBCSO Pro as they take ages to set up from scratch.

Hi Andy, apologies for the delay here.
I've added the new legato articulations where applicable so it should be complete now as the current website reabank already has the new mutes.
Do you think this bank would be usable for non-Pro users? It's largely the same as the existing set of banks that @Stevie contributed. I'm wondering if it makes sense to keep both sets just for the occasional extended legato articulation that's not available with non-Pro.

Also, I noticed some keyswitch changes to the Bass Flute bank:

1621109874792.png

Were these corrections from Stevie's bank, or did perhaps the library itself change?

I don't know if it would also be useful for me to post my Reaper template for each section of BBCSO Pro as they take ages to set up from scratch.
I definitely see the appeal, but kinda falls outside the purview of Reaticulate. But if you wanted to attach them here (or you have some means of hosting them elsewhere), we could include a link to your post as a comment in the reabank file for future users.

Thanks!

Do you think this bank would be usable for non-Pro users? It's largely the same as the existing set of banks that @Stevie contributed. I'm wondering if it makes sense to keep both sets just for the occasional extended legato articulation that's not available with non-Pro.

1621109874792.png

Were these corrections from Stevie's bank, or did perhaps the library itself change?

I definitely see the appeal, but kinda falls outside the purview of Reaticulate. But if you wanted to attach them here (or you have some means of hosting them elsewhere), we could include a link to your post as a comment in the reabank file for future users.

Thanks!
I think it's better to post both Core and Pro versions of the BBCSO reabank. Keep them separate. I think I just used what was already uploaded and added the new legato stuff. Btw I just added the new Wondrous Flutes to the AROOF reabank (see attachment).

1621109874792.png

Thanks!
I didn't answer the specific question about sharing a template. In retrospect I decided it's unnecessary as most people have their own ideas of what to include in their template and I'm not doing this professionally so best left to others at the sharp end of the music business.

Hi @tack ,
Sorry if this comes out rude, but I would like to kindly ask if you are planning to add the "Support slot numbering for articulation feedback to control surface" feature anytime soon? I really hope that you would consider it for the next update. I sorely miss it for visual feedback to my touch surface. It would mean so much to me and others' too, I'm sure. That, and maybe increasing the amount of groups, but now I'm really pushing it, sorry :)
All the best

A little teaser showing some work I've been doing to improve touch display support:

New things shown in this video (in order of appearance):
  • Refreshed icons (made with vector graphics to better support higher DPI displays)
  • Finessed button stylinga
  • Smooth scrolling (with mousewheel)
  • Some new experimental settings
  • Touchscreen support with kinetic touch-scrolling
  • Default articulation colors are customizable from settings
  • Articulation insertion animation to more easily see when the project has been modified
  • Refined drag-and drop

(The touchscreen is my phone running Spacedesk, streaming the display over WiFi. Consequently it's lags a couple frames and there is occasional display jank, but you get the idea.)

Last edited:
@Oliver.T man I'm really sorry I didn't reply until now -- I missed your post. :(
I would like to kindly ask if you are planning to add the "Support slot numbering for articulation feedback to control surface" feature anytime soon?
"Soon" is a problematic word, but it's probably a safe bet that when I plan to implement this feature wouldn't qualify as soon. My goal is to get it out in the next major release after the upcoming one, which puts it around Dec/Jan (depending on Christmas staycations).

That, and maybe increasing the amount of groups, but now I'm really pushing it, sorry
Nah, increasing groups is on the to-do list. :) I think I can get it to 16 without any major problems, but it's been a while since I looked at that area of code.

I've not been overly motivated on this front because groups are a bit problematic: groups are a Reaticulate concept and not understood by Reaper, but Reaper is the thing that takes care of chasing the program change events. You would expect all the articulations in each group to be retriggered on transport start, but in reality only the last program change on each channel is, because that's all REAPER knows how to chase.

Groups have their uses to be sure, but unfortunately they aren't perfect. My fear is that adding more groups serves to draw attention to an area I know has a few big warts.

@tack perhaps I missed it (haven't combed through the past few pages). Is there a GUI for setting up articulations yet or is it still text editor to put it in?

@tack perhaps I missed it (haven't combed through the past few pages). Is there a GUI for setting up articulations yet or is it still text editor to put it in?
Text editor for now I'm afraid. The next major release (0.5.0) will have some new important plumbing to enable the GUI editor which will be in the major release following that one (0.6.0). It's taken me much longer to get here than I wanted -- among other things, the Covidpocalypse has resulted in me working quite a lot more hours for my day job than usual which has impeded my Reaticulate hacking time.

But I'm making progress, slowly and steadily. I plan to release the GUI library that powers Reaticulate as a separate project very soon, so that has also been a bit of a diversion from Reaticulate proper as I've been refactoring that code, addressing quite a lot of technical debt, and preparing documentation. (And writing new tools for Lua documentation generation and Lua library packaging -- an area where Lua is quite deficient compared to other languages, IMO.)

is there a simpleton's guide anywhere? I have watched a few videos on YouTube but it all goes way over my head. I downloaded a few banks online, but something must've gone wrong because I've got wrong articulations playing etc.

I have filled in the survey (very well explained and demonstrated). I hope it helps :emoji_relaxed:

Hi Reaticulate users -- I have another quick survey for you.

This time it's about how CCs should be chased when using articulations assigned to patches spread across multiple channels.

https://www.survey-maker.com/QCW9SQ8DD

Your feedback is much appreciated!
Hi @tack,
I've taken the survey and chose "something else". So, (assuming i properly understood the matter) ideally for me it would be if both are available, possibly on per bank basis, with the option to override. If that is not an option however, or an unnecessary complication, the default behaviour (no chasing on the previous channel) seems to me the most appropriate, as one can always shape the cc curve on another track assigned to a dedicated midi channel. That way you wouldn't be stuck with the initial curve only, with no way to modify it. Hope that makes sense.
Cheers

P. S: in retrospect, I think i should've chosen the default in the first place.

ideally for me it would be if both are available, possibly on per bank basis, with the option to override.
What if it were a per track configurable option, instead of at the bank level?

the default behaviour (no chasing on the previous channel) seems to me the most appropriate, as one can always shape the cc curve on another track assigned to a dedicated midi channel. That way you wouldn't be stuck with the initial curve only, with no way to modify it.
Indeed. But whichever approach is default, you could always use another track (or, probably better, another MIDI channel on the same track) to achieve the other behavior. So the purpose of the survey is to determine which of the two behaviors most users would expect to see as the default.

Thanks for filling out the survey and following up here!

What if it were a per track configurable option, instead of at the bank level?
Well, I don't see why not. But than again, I haven't stumbled upon a case yet where I was missing this function. So, maybe I am not really as relevant as a respondent for the survey. I was merely going with the "more is better" attitude, without much thought. But as I said above, on second look it seamed to me a bit overly complicated. So, any one of those that does not completely prohibit the other would be fine by me.
you could always use another track (or, probably better, another MIDI channel on the same track) to achieve the other behavior.

I didn't know that works that way... Won't two identical CCs at the same time interfere with one another?
So the purpose of the survey is to determine which of the two behaviors most users would expect to see as the default
As a default I would expect the current behaviour.

I don't know if this is useful to anyone else but I've just updated my reabank for Cinematic Studio Woodwinds (latest expressive legato version). Every articulation mode is catered for. Please see attachment. Just change the bank number if it's one you're already using in your own user reabank file.

Attachments

• Cinematic Studio Woodwinds Reaticulate.txt
    5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Top Bottom