What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.4.7 now available

Hari

Hey guys, just installed reaticulate and that worked fine but when i try to add a bank i can only initiate the factory alternative, the user bank option does not exist, what am i missing?
Skärmbild (2).png

OP
tack

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
Hey guys, just installed reaticulate and that worked fine but when i try to add a bank i can only initiate the factory alternative, the user bank option does not exist, what am i missing?
Did you add any user banks? Click the pencil icon and Edit. Are any banks in the file?

To get started, there are some options of user contributions here, as well as installation instructions (at the bottom):

pceniza

Hi Tack,
Im not sure if you can help but i hope so. I've recently encountered an issue with reaticulate whereby in the midi editor where you set the articulation programs it no longer gives me names for the articulations i've set. So it will be like 1-55-24 instead of 'marc' (articulation name i set). If i look under the bank list if i double click on that articulation, i've noticed quite a few of the recent additions i've made arent included in the list.

I've re-installed, currently at 0.4.5 but i also tried switching manually to 0.4.3 but that didnt help things. I'm not really sure what has gone wrong and what i else i can try. I'm not that script savvy with this btw, so im sure im missing something obvious.

Appreciate any help :)

Thanks
Patrick

pceniza

Hi Tack or to anyone else that might know this issue.

I seem to have run into another issue.

.Data\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Reaticulate\\app\reabank.lua:311: attempt to perform bitwise operation on a nil value (field 'msb')

i'm not sure what this means but Reaticulate currently won't load.

Please help if you can. Thanks.

Trash Panda

Don't listen to this user
@tack apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread. Will Reaticulate automatically switch a Kontakt instrument to the assigned articulation for the time period the articulation is set or would I need to back up to where that articulation starts to force the VST to update the keyswitch?

OP
tack

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
@tack apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread. Will Reaticulate automatically switch a Kontakt instrument to the assigned articulation for the time period the articulation is set or would I need to back up to where that articulation starts to force the VST to update the keyswitch?
This basically works. You can resume playback anywhere and the previous articulation change will be sent to Kontakt upon playback.

This is because Reaper chases Program Change messages, and Reaper uses PCs to control articulations.

I said "basically" above because this doesn't work very well with multiple groups. Groups is a Reaticulate construct, something Reaper itself doesn't know about, so while Reaper will chase the last Program Change (per MIDI channel), if you have articulation changes for other groups before that one, they won't get chased.

"Fixing" this requires some heroics and that remains on the backlog.

Trash Panda

Don't listen to this user
This basically works. You can resume playback anywhere and the previous articulation change will be sent to Kontakt upon playback.

This is because Reaper chases Program Change messages, and Reaper uses PCs to control articulations.

I said "basically" above because this doesn't work very well with multiple groups. Groups is a Reaticulate construct, something Reaper itself doesn't know about, so while Reaper will chase the last Program Change (per MIDI channel), if you have articulation changes for other groups before that one, they won't get chased.

"Fixing" this requires some heroics and that remains on the backlog.
Would that be an issue if I'm only using one articulation at a time on a single track? I'm trying to wrap my head around the technical aspects at the moment. All my projects are currently small, so I'm only doing one instance of Kontakt and 1 MIDI channel per track right now.

OP
tack

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
Would that be an issue if I'm only using one articulation at a time on a single track? I'm trying to wrap my head around the technical aspects at the moment. All my projects are currently small, so I'm only doing one instance of Kontakt and 1 MIDI channel per track right now.
The issue comes into play when you have a bank that uses multiple groups, like for example Cinematic Studio Strings where con sordino and senza sordino control the on/off state of the con sord filter in CSS.

Suppose you have something like this, where "con sordino" is in group 2 and "legato std" is in group 1:

1603410087920.png

Suppose you manually switched to senza sordino, noodled around in the patch live figuring something out, and then resumed playback where the edit cursor is: Reaper would chase "legato std" but not "con sordino" which means your playback would be senza sordino, not con sordino as expected, although it would certainly be legato as that gets chased.

The website has a little bit more of a description of groups:

andyhy

I've recently installed Reaticulate in Reaper and started using a combination of factory and user bank files from the Reaticulate website. I already have Reaticulate working in templates of BBCSO Core, Spitfire Chamber Strings and some EastWest stuff but I must stress that I'm still in the early part of the learning curve and assessing what it can add to Reaper functionality. I've also created two of my own user banks, one for Orchestral Tools Layers and another for Phoenix Orchestra, both for the OT's SINE. Currently working on another user bank for the Other Patches section of Spitfire Chamber Strings.

Which brings me to the main purpose of this post. Does anyone understand how you contribute your own reabank files to the Reaticulate website? I'm registered as a user but there don't seem to be instructions anywhere or maybe they're there but written for IT buffs which I'm not. If there were simple instructions I believe a lot more people would be experimenting with Reaticulate.

Last edited:
OP
tack

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
Does anyone understand how you contribute your own reabank files to the Reaticulate website?
Apologies for the frustation. I appreciate this isn't very discoverable. I added a short blurb to the website:

If you've made banks of your own that you'd like to contribute, please either create an account on GitHub and then open a new issue and attach (or paste) the bank, or, if you prefer, you can email it to me.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

It's also perfectly fine to paste your contributions on this thread. :)

andyhy

Here are the first two reabanks I've created. VI Control requires a text files so anyone interested in adding them to their own reabank must copy and paste the contents.

Layers relates to the free OT SINE ensembles library.

Phoenix Orchestra for the OT SINE player is more complex. The matching reaticulate descriptions are my best guess because unlike Spitfire Audio the UACC codes are not stated (or at least I haven't been able to find them anywhere) and Chinese instruments, excepting cello and bass, are very unique.

I have not felt disadvantaged by the absence of a GUI for reaticulate because Jason's instructions are pretty thorough. No doubt at a later stage he will add a GUI.

If nothing else it proves that reaticulate works in SINE, EastWest 's player and Spitfire Audio's BBCSO player as easily as it does in Kontakt. Spitfire's Abbey Road One Foundations will be another later this month. Feedback on their use in practice would be very welcome.

These are not fully tested but they should work. Just remember to avoid duplicating the bank numbers you've previously allocated in your own reabank file.

I'm still very much in my learning curve with reaticulate but during the lockdown here in the Philippines it has provided a welcome distraction. The additional functionality it offers fascinates me so I encourage others to try it out and contribute to the userbanks.

Keep safe everyone

Attachments

• Orchestral_Tools_Layers_SINE.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Orchestral_Tools_Phoenix_Orchestra_SINE.txt
    21.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

andyhy

Here is the reabank in txt format for Spitfire Chamber Strings Other Patches

Could be useful for users who are tight on CPU resources - I include myself in that category
Apologies for the frustation. I appreciate this isn't very discoverable. I added a short blurb to the website:

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

It's also perfectly fine to paste your contributions on this thread. :)
Reference the g used for "articulation groups" as distinct from the g used to define individual bank groups, I'm confused. Does it mean I would be able to select from separate articulation groups within the same bank when I'm using reaticulate? The very first screen displayed on the reaticulate website shows four groups together but I couldn't find any coding that would achieve it so I think I must have misunderstood the function of articulation groups. I wanted to experiment mixing a larger range of articulations on one track but maybe I'm still limited to 16 in one bank at a time. I'm still very impressed but the advanced programming parts are presently beyond me. Given a bit more time who knows what I can achieve. And that's the thing about reaticulate, the more time you invest in learning it the more useful it becomes.

Attachments

• Spitfire_Chamber_Strings_Other_Patches.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
tack

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
The matching reaticulate descriptions are my best guess because unlike Spitfire Audio the UACC codes are not stated (or at least I haven't been able to find them anywhere) and Chinese instruments, excepting cello and bass, are very unique.
If you can't find a good match, the best advice I have is "don't worry about it and pick whatever" :)

As a slightly longer explanation, I've fleshed out the guidance on program numbering in the documentation, and tried to clarify better on the rationale and use case:

Thanks very much for your contributions Andy! I'll put those up on the website later this week.

Does it mean I would be able to select from separate articulation groups within the same bank when I'm using reaticulate?
Right, that's what it means. From the website:

Reaticulate also supports up to 4 "articulation groups" per bank. A group is a set of articulations that are mutually exclusive within the group, but articulations between groups may be simultaneously active.

One example is to have legato on and legato off in one group, con sordino and senza sordino in another group, and then all other articulations in yet a third group. (As with, for example, Cinematic Studio Strings seen right.)

groups.png

The very first screen displayed on the reaticulate website shows four groups together but I couldn't find any coding that would achieve it so I think I must have misunderstood the function of articulation groups.
The first image on the website you're referring to doesn't use articulation groups, rather it just has multiple banks loaded into the same track. "V1 Legato Performance" and "V1 Legato Decorative" and "V1 Core" etc. are each individual banks that represent separate patches from Spitfire Chamber Strings. Because these are using UACC, they can all be loaded on the same track at once on the same channel, so you can map in all 4 banks in Reaticulate's track configuration.

Meanwhile articulation groups are within the context of a single bank and are typically used with "modifiers" (e.g. sordino on/off in Cinematic Studio Strings, or the mute style in Sample Modeling Brass).

I wanted to experiment mixing a larger range of articulations on one track but maybe I'm still limited to 16 in one bank at a time.
A limit of 16 articulations in one bank is only if you're using a library that has separate articulations per patch and you're doing a multi with articulations on different MIDI channels. Then you're limited to 16 because we only have 16 source MIDI channels to work with.

But if you're talking about multi-articulation patches, like the ones you created banks for with Phoenix Orchestra, then the limit is 128 articulations per bank.

Hope that helps!

andyhy

If you can't find a good match, the best advice I have is "don't worry about it and pick whatever" :)

As a slightly longer explanation, I've fleshed out the guidance on program numbering in the documentation, and tried to clarify better on the rationale and use case:

Thanks very much for your contributions Andy! I'll put those up on the website later this week.

Right, that's what it means. From the website:

The first image on the website you're referring to doesn't use articulation groups, rather it just has multiple banks loaded into the same track. "V1 Legato Performance" and "V1 Legato Decorative" and "V1 Core" etc. are each individual banks that represent separate patches from Spitfire Chamber Strings. Because these are using UACC, they can all be loaded on the same track at once on the same channel, so you can map in all 4 banks in Reaticulate's track configuration.

Meanwhile articulation groups are within the context of a single bank and are typically used with "modifiers" (e.g. sordino on/off in Cinematic Studio Strings, or the mute style in Sample Modeling Brass).

A limit of 16 articulations in one bank is only if you're using a library that has separate articulations per patch and you're doing a multi with articulations on different MIDI channels. Then you're limited to 16 because we only have 16 source MIDI channels to work with.

But if you're talking about multi-articulation patches, like the ones you created banks for with Phoenix Orchestra, then the limit is 128 articulations per bank.

Hope that helps!
Very helpful thank you Jason

andyhy

Here is a reabank in txt format for EastWest Hollywood Pop Brass. I have only covered legato, sustain, short and effects because I'm not convinced of the value of reaticulate in the case of phrases or MOD wheel patches. Feedback very welcome.

Attachments

• EastWest Hollywood Pop Brass.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 1

andyhy

I have time during this covid lockdown to create more reabank user files for other EastWest Composer Cloud libraries if there's interest. Let me know if that would be useful to other members of the forum and if so which additional sample libraries to do that are not already included in existing factory or user reabanks on the reaticulate website. I was going to prepare one based on my LABS libraries template but have pressed pause on that one a the moment. Feedback welcome.

Top Bottom