What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

0.4.4 is out with a long-standing user-reported bug fixed. (Hopefully. :))

Installing
If you're a new user (not upgrading), just follow these installation instructions.

Upgrading
If you've installed using ReaPack, you should eventually receive the update, but you can force it by following the updating instructions.

Here are the changes since 0.4.3:

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a bug where detecting manual articulation activation by output event (manual keyswitch or CC) would fail to take into account current destination channel/bus routing and could improperly reflect an articulation change in the GUI

P.S. @Divico this should fix the problem you reported.

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier. Having the program change react to moving notes would be great. I often have the situation, where I move notes a bit and change aritculations, ending up with multiple program changes piled up in one space. Not sure if Reaper can handle this though. Something like the CC selection follows note selection thing maybe.

Having the program change react to moving notes would be great. I often have the situation, where I move notes a bit and change aritculations, ending up with multiple program changes piled up in one space. Not sure if Reaper can handle this though. Something like the CC selection follows note selection thing maybe.
This is possible as of Reaper 6.0. The new MIDI editor option is "Bank/program change events follow note selection when CC selection follows note selection". As the option name suggests, it requires "CC selection follows note selection" is also enabled. (A bit more context here.)

This is possible as of Reaper 6.0. The new MIDI editor option is "Bank/program change events follow note selection when CC selection follows note selection". As the option name suggests, it requires "CC selection follows note selection" is also enabled. (A bit more context here.)
Purrfect. Thanks for the answer

I think if the library creation process becomes easier or you offer a paid version of this with pre built templates I would consider using REAPER for creative work (already use it for alot of work). Has V6 given you any new options for it?

I think if the library creation process becomes easier
It will definitely. I've got a bunch of code written for that, but it's not ready. I've got one more foundational change to do and then the nice pointy-clicky GUI for making articulation maps (banks) will be released.

And then, enabled by the aforementioned "foundational change," I'm going to make it a lot easier for users to share and discover banks.

I've no plans to turn Reaticulate into anything other than free and open source. I have a day job working for a company with certain expectations about intellectual property, and I want to be able to tell my employer I don't profit from this work. I feel it removes some of the potential friction.

Reaper 6.0 hasn't fundamentally provided any new capabilities in this area, save for a few UX improvements here and there like the ones around program changes I referred to earlier.

It will definitely. I've got a bunch of code written for that, but it's not ready. I've got one more foundational change to do and then the nice pointy-clicky GUI for making articulation maps (banks) will be released.

And then, enabled by the aforementioned "foundational change," I'm going to make it a lot easier for users to share and discover banks.

I've no plans to turn Reaticulate into anything other than free and open source. I have a day job working for a company with certain expectations about intellectual property, and I want to be able to tell my employer I don't profit from this work. I feel it removes some of the potential friction.

Reaper 6.0 hasn't fundamentally provided any new capabilities in this area, save for a few UX improvements here and there like the ones around program changes I referred to earlier.
Really excited to see what comes down the road with the new options for libraries. Thank you for all of your work!

I think if the library creation process becomes easier or you offer a paid version of this with pre built templates I would consider using REAPER for creative work (already use it for alot of work). Has V6 given you any new options for it?

while that is great, please keep the option to edit the bank file directly. I love being able to use Brackets to edit and not have to use an interface that requires too much clicking and drop down menu selecting. I find direct editing much easier.

Sorry for the noob question, but right now, is there a repository of user created articulation for specific instruments?
There's a folder on github until I can put together something better. Scroll down for installation instructions.

Just shared on REAPER forum in the main thread, but I have created banks for all Chris Hein Solo Strings (Complete) and Ensemble Strings. I am not super good at this stuff, so somebody please help if necessary. I was unable to figure out the hotkeys like "repeat last note". Help welcome but not needed as I don't use the hot keys anyway.

LINK:

Something I just remembered: now that Reaper finally has a native track delay function, would it be possible to incorporate this into Reaticulate? Like in assigning different pre-delays for each articulation?

Something I just remembered: now that Reaper finally has a native track delay function, would it be possible to incorporate this into Reaticulate? Like in assigning different pre-delays for each articulation?
Yeah, that's another one on the to-do list. I want it for myself too. The native track delay function in Reaper makes this a little easier, but not as much as you might have thought as it still requires a fairly nontrivial design change in Reaticulate.

So many ideas, so little free time ...

Hey guys! I just thought I'd share this bit of very, very, very rustic programming I made. It is meant to be used with the incredible articulation management tool that @tack created for Reaper called Reaticulate.

If you are like me, you have a love/hate relationship with your template. I have to fiddle around with it a lot for each project and/or often need to adjust the multis, add new patches, etc. Reaticulate is (in my workflow at least) the way to manage articulations in an orderly fashion. I hate key-switches with a passion and I also don't enjoy having a template full of thousands of tracks cluttering the view, I find it terribly impractical. Reaticulate solves both problems beautifully for me.

BUT

There is a caveat to it, which is that there is no way to quickly edit banks as of now. I was a bit tired of having to go in, make sure all the UACC codes were matching the articulations, looking up icons, colors, how to write the output code, then having to write everything for each patch, read the documentation again because I forgot from the last time, etc. And I really don't want to ditch Reaper or the system, I think apart from that it is marvellous.

So I had a couple of hours yesterday and came up with a spreadsheet that does most of that grind for you, which is what I am sharing. And I know Tack is working on it and will probably implement something much more elegant than this, he has said it a few times. But I think this does okay for the time being until that comes. You can find it HERE. You have to save it as a copy in your Google Drive or download to be able to use it.

Before I go any further allow me to first apologize to Tack and every other guy out there how knows how to code properly and now gets to look at this thing. It is not pretty. The nested IF statements in this spreadsheet will bring shame to my family name for ages to come. Most of the thinking was dedicated to coming up with a pun for the name.

In all seriousness, I imagine there is probably a better way to do this but my knowledge in this department is very limited and everything looks like a nail when your only tool's a hammer.

Usage is quite simple: Everything you see in the light blue shade in the "Patch Creator" sheet you can fill out. Everything else should not be modified to keep functionality.

The first things to add are the MSB (between 0 and 63) and LSB (between 0 and 127), which should be a unique combination for each patch as per Reaticulate's usage guidelines. The combination you choose is arbitrary and does not affect anything else, it just has to be unique. Then you fill out the vendor, library, and patch name.

The next step is articulations. There is a drop-down list for each of those cells in the "Name" column. I have included the ones that I have used the most over time, but it can be modified in the second spreadsheet of the document to whatever set of articulations you like. Choosing an articulation will automatically populate the other (initially) black columns. Currently, it accommodates up to 16 articulations.

As you add articulations you should also add a key-switch, velocities for those KSs (if you need them), the channel assigned for that KS or patch, and/or basic automation information in CCs 1 (mod wheel), 7 (volume) and 11 (Expression). The basic stuff. This is all optional, none of those are mandatory. Every combination of those parameters I have ever used works. I'm not sure if there is a combination that is impossible, usage by other people will tell. The only impossible combination that is not accepted by the sheet is entering velocity without a KS, which of course does not make sense and will provide an error message in the output section.

Now all you have to do is select and copy the code that appears in the output section (without selecting the "Output" title) and paste it into your .reabank user file using any text editor. And that's it! When you next refresh or run Reaticulate the new patch should be there.

I plan to add other optional CCs in there, where you can enter both the desired CC number AND the value to get more flexibility. But it is not implemented yet. I also want to make the KS a dropdown menu with the note names instead of having to enter the MIDI numbers. I started doing that last one but had to stop, I needed to get this done quickly in order to start a project. I will add those things as soon as I have a few hours to spare.

Although it is very rudimentary I hope it helps someone out there.

Cheers!

======================================

EDIT: Updated to link for version 0.2. See this post for info.

Last edited:
This is pretty clever, Mauro. And what better way to truly understand Reaticulate's arcane syntax, which only a sadistic author would subject his users to. :)

It only implements a subset of the articulation features of course, but it's a pretty useful subset, and I can see it being helpful to others. Thanks for sharing!

This is pretty clever, Mauro. And what better way to truly understand Reaticulate's arcane syntax, which only a sadistic author would subject his users to. :)

It only implements a subset of the articulation features of course, but it's a pretty useful subset, and I can see it being helpful to others. Thanks for sharing!

I would hardly call you sadistic dude. Reaticulate saved me from migrating to Cubase. =)

Yep, it's only the things I've used the most. I know there's a ton of possible combinations for the output, it's incredibly flexible (and I imagine that is part of the difficulty for a bank editor, although I'm no coder).

Hey guys! I created a very rough and simple reabank helper to craft banks faster using a google sheet. It is very basic, almost as basic as the guy who created a new thread for it instead of letting you guys know here. Anyway, I'm curious to see if it can be improved, here's the thread. Maybe a mod can merge that post into this thread. I'll ask.

Top Bottom