What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

Assuming each instrument is on a different channel, and you have one MIDI track per instrument, it should work, since the transposition will only affect the MIDI track you put it on (which would mean one instance of midi_transpose on every track for which you might wish to have this control).

So like... let's say flutes are on ch.8 of your multi. And you have a MIDI track for your flutes that's sending to your Kontakt ch.8. You would put the midi_transpose on the flutes' MIDI track (after Reaticulate_jsfx), not on the Kontakt track. So that only ch.8 is being transposed (if activated). But I don't know your setup, apologies if you've posted the details earlier in this thread and I've missed them, I haven't gone through it. I'm just going by how I have my own Reaticulate rig wired up. And I haven't tested it (might tomorrow evening just because I like your idea) but I'm fairly certain it would at least work for how I've got it set up. Not that this helps you necessarily, but maybe. Unless I'm missing something obvious...

Are you using only one MIDI track with multichannel data on it? If that's the case, then yes, my suggestion would not work since it would then be transposing all channels of MIDI sent to Kontakt.

Last edited:
I actually didn't expect it to layer, but in fact the Spitfire patches do support this with UACC KS. I tested this with Chamber Strings Ensembles:

Code:
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:0,32
1 long
//! c=long-light i=con-sord o=note:0,7
7 con sord
//! c=long-dark i=sul-pont o=note:0,18
18 sul pont
//! c=long-dark i=note-whole o=note:0,7/note:0,18/note:0,32
126 super combo

And now that I RTFM (in my defense TFM is pretty new!), layering is explicitly supported.

Hi! I'm making a template for SSO. It's my first time seriously playing with libraries and I'm obviously a reaticulate newbie as well :)

Let me sanity check my understanding here: if I want to make layered articulations with reaticulate, I have to make one combo articulation for every combination? There isn't a way to "just" select two reaticulate articulations at once?

I'll be reading Reaticulate's "FM" as well more thoroughly, but I don't think I've found a way on my first read.

EDIT: what I actually would like to do is combine the various shorts with the long articulation, so maybe there's an easier way...

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question, but is there no way to move the program change events around in the midi editor? Right now, when I'm timing articulations and have to reset the articulation change to an earlier or later position, I have to first delete the old program change and then re-enter it which is mildly annoying. Is this normal behaviour?
Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out with the mouse modifiers. But it's very fiddly and if you move your mouse up and down while dragging it will change the program change?
Edit2: "Move CC event on one axis only ignoring snap" seems to solve the changing PC's problem. It's all still very fiddly though and I almost always need several attempts to grap the event.

Last edited:
Let me sanity check my understanding here: if I want to make layered articulations with reaticulate, I have to make one combo articulation for every combination? There isn't a way to "just" select two reaticulate articulations at once?
Program changes are discrete events (it's not like a note down followed by a note up), so, yes, the only way to layer is to create separate articulations with the desired layering.

I'm not sure of a clean way to do layering with program changes. Also considering that Reaper will only chase the last PC on a given MIDI channel. Ideas welcome.

Edit2: "Move CC event on one axis only ignoring snap" seems to solve the changing PC's problem. It's all still very fiddly though and I almost always need several attempts to grap the event.
Yes, it's really fiddly. I think Reaper's developers work hard to maximize the pain of moving PCs. Perhaps with the help of the new js_ReaScriptAPI extension I can figure out a better UX. But indeed the native UX for moving the PC events is a massive pain in the ass.

@tack Here's my thinking, but I don't know how I could code it into reaticulate (*if* it's something you can do...). Maybe you could point me in the right direction on how to do it?

Let's say a bank has long, marcato, tenuto, staccato articulations. For a couple of phrases this works and I switch between them as I see fit. For another line, however, I want to layer tenuto with the long.

I toggle on the LayeredLong articulation, which maybe might be enabling a separate instrument in the same kontakt instance, and then I select the tenuto articulation. Now both the tenuto in the first instrument and the second long only instruments are playing. I might even switch to staccato for a couple of notes. LayeredLong is still toggled, so both the longs and the shorts play. When I'm done with that line, I untoggle the LayeredLong articulation (so the long only instrument is not playing anymore) and I go back to just switching articulations as normal.

Possible? As you say, program changes are discrete events, so I could maybe have a LayeredLongOn and a LayeredLongOff?

Is there a way to sync the track list on the right hand side of the midi editor to the track selection? Or is there an action/script that switches to the track of the currently active midi item in the editor? I really like using the track list to switch between and edit different tracks, but the track selection doesn't follow it and accordingly so doesn't the Reaticulate UI on the right. So when I want to insert new keyswitches I always have to close the midi editor, search for the track, select it and reopen the midi editor. Anyone got an idea?
Thanks! :)

Is there a way to sync the track list on the right hand side of the midi editor to the track selection?
Funny enough, this was bugging me too, so I actually added this to Reaticulate late last year ("Toggle track selection follows MIDI Editor target item") but I didn't really test it very well so didn't commit it.

If I push a new prerelease with that feature, would you be able to test it out?

Of course, that would be great! :)
I just pushed a new prerelease (0.2.92) which has this feature. Installation details here. If you're already on the prerelrease track then you just need to do an update.

I'll add it to Reaticulate's settings UI later, but for now you'll need to enable it via the "Reaticulate_Toggle track selection follows MIDI editor target item.lua" action.

This option follows the editor target item (the item where writes go to), not the selection. But you can easily link that to selection by enabling Reaper's native option in the MIDI Editor: "Options: MIDI track list/media item lane selection is linked to editability"

Any idea why I'm getting numbers instead of articulation names?
  1. Does clicking the reload button on Reaticulate's toolbar help?
  2. If not, do you still see this in a new project?

1. Does clicking the reload button on Reaticulate's toolbar help?
  2. If not, do you still see this in a new project?
Neither makes a difference, unfortunately. I also tried deleting the instance of Reaticulate on the track and starting it up again, but I still get the same results.

@tack Problem solved. When I created the articulation bank I numbered it improperly.

//! g="Spitfire/Studio Strings" n="1st Violins"
Bank 190 1 "1st Violins"

When I changed the bank number to 100, it worked fine:

Bank 100 1 "1st Violins"

Bank 190 1 "1st Violins"
Oh! Indeed, yes, 127 is the maximum. Ok, great. Whew, I was expecting something complicated. :)

(Reaper failing to resolve program events to their Reabank names has been a constant struggle and I have absurd amounts of hack code in Reaticulate to unfuck Reaper into submission. I was worried about a new edge case there.)

Oh! Indeed, yes, 127 is the maximum. Ok, great. Whew, I was expecting something complicated. :)

(Reaper failing to resolve program events to their Reabank names has been a constant struggle and I have absurd amounts of hack code in Reaticulate to unfuck Reaper into submission. I was worried about a new edge case there.)
Sorry to give you the minor heart attack. I'll pay more attention to the instructions next time...

Curious if you've managed to try it out yet? Does the "track selection follows MIDI editor target" feature work ok for you?

I was just about to write that it's been working great so far! :2thumbs: Have been testing it pretty extensively for the whole day and part of yesterday, and no hiccups whatsoever.
Thanks again! :)

I was just about to write that it's been working great so far!
Great! I also implemented a "track selection follows FX window focus" option as well as I find it handy to just click on a Kontakt window and start playing.

I wonder if anyone else would find that useful?

Another small prerelease update in 0.2.93. (Installation details here. If you're already on the prerelrease track then you just need to do an update.)

• New action: Track selection follows FX focus
    • When enabled, focusing an FX window will cause the FX's track to become selected.
    • This action requires the js_ReaScriptAPI extension
  • New action: Select last selected track
  • Added a "Behavior" section to the Settings page to control certain behaviors (mainly related to recently added actions)

Another small prerelease update in 0.2.93. (Installation details here. If you're already on the prerelrease track then you just need to do an update.)

• New action: Track selection follows FX focus
    • When enabled, focusing an FX window will cause the FX's track to become selected.
    • This action requires the js_ReaScriptAPI extension
  • New action: Select last selected track
  • Added a "Behavior" section to the Settings page to control certain behaviors (mainly related to recently added actions)
Hey tack. Is it possible to assign keys for articulation switching? I always got my C-1 for my longs, C#-1 for Legato etc. But these should trigger CC32 for Spitfire Products for example without having the actual notes printed in the sequence. Just like Expression Maps or Articulation Sets in LPX.... Thanks u

Top Bottom