What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

tried reaper once again this weekend and reaticulate is really really great. i like it better than cubase expression maps or the new articulation system in logic pro.
Thanks Heroix! That's really wonderful to hear.

Thanks Heroix! That's really wonderful to hear.

well you might not wanna hear that my wife wasnt too happy that i spend the entire sunday on a reaper template. :)
actually i can blame you for it (j/k ;) ) because of reaticulate. but besides this its also stunning how good reaper is on cpu usage.

really complicated to get started but now i have a skin and custom actions/scripts etc which mimics the features i loved from cubase and logic. and reaper beats both of them regarding cpu usage.

i have not done a single track yet , but i hope you will continue to develope this thing and dont abandon it.
iam sure reaper will get quite a few new users just because of reaticulate.

This can control CC1, 7, 11 etc. in Reaper, right? I have a nanoKontrol but would like something a little more solid.
Yep, you can put it in custom mode and set the faders to any CC. (NB: Windows software required to push the configuration to the control surface.)

I personally keep it in Mackie mode and use Bome MIDI Translator to do the necessary conversions from the Mackie protocol and plain MIDI CCs, but then my customization is completely insane and not for the faint of heart. :)

its only about 200 tracks yet and pretty small. ;) most time took configuring reaper. setting all actions, shortcuts, mouse, scripts etc.

Yep, you can put it in custom mode and set the faders to any CC. (NB: Windows software required to push the configuration to the control surface.)
I'm on a Mac. Downloaded the software to check it out and don't see anything about custom mode, but will check out the manual. Thanks.

I'm on a Mac. Downloaded the software to check it out and don't see anything about custom mode, but will check out the manual. Thanks.
Ah! My bad. They must have just very recently released the Mac software. Its absence was a common complaint and it didn't seem like that long ago that I checked.

To do a custom configuration, you set Control Mode to User Defined. Then as you click on each element in the UI you can set its MIDI output.

To do a custom configuration, you set Control Mode to User Defined. Then as you click on each element in the UI you can set its MIDI output.
Unfortunately that option isn't available in the Mac version.

May be it will be useful someone

also here are used two little JS: in monitoring chain to filter UACC KS for spitfire TM patch and in output chain to reroute midi to BUS directly for the track, not for kontakt.

Attachments

• reaticulate JS.rar
    617 bytes · Views: 4
  • reaticulate SSS template.rar
    5.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Reaticulate.reabank.rar
    895 bytes · Views: 7
@tack Thank you for creating Reaticulate! It's truly awesome!

I've attached a ZIP file, which contains scripts and screenshots that pertain to a problem I'm having with my script V2 Reabank file.

I've managed to create some custom banks, but I'm having trouble with some articulations triggering. I've attached 2 version of how I've done the script.

With script V2... For some strange reason, when the channel 2-related and channel 8-related articulations are selected, midi channel 1 is still active when playing the ch. 2 or ch. 8 articulations.

Script V1 is seperated out and the source is manually set to the corresponding articulations. This way works fine in terms of functioning and no midi channels are sticking, only the corresponding articulation-triggered channels are used.

I'd prefer to use script V2, so that all articulations are corresponding to "VIOLINS 1" and don't have to be split up into sections. The MIDI channel 1-sticking problem is happening when using script V2 and I'm not sure how to fix it.

EastWest Play patches are triggering multiple CC-related or KS related patches.

Also, as a side thing, is there a way to split up banks for a single track and have them without a name at the top of each bank if possible?

Any help would be great!

Attachments

• Reaticulate Scripts + Screenshots.zip
    943.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know at all if it's possible with Reaticulate, so I'll try an hazardous question: can you add other CC messages to the already existing ones in your custom Reakbank file (like, do a CC32 and CC11 based one, so you can actually link volume levels to articulations?)

Great! It opens up a sheer amount of exciting possibilities. You can actually balance your template and create specific articulations for divisi directly in Reabanks.

You can actually balance your template and create specific articulations for divisi directly in Reabanks.
I imagine most people balance different articulations in Kontakt (or whatever sampler) directly. For example, even with Spitfire's combination palettes, you can have separate mixes per articulation (although the implementation of this is a bit clunky). So balancing e.g. shorts against longs is probably a fairly well solved problem already.

But divisi writing is a great use-case and indeed I've been adjusting CC11 directly myself.

So while you might normally have:

Code:
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc:32,1
1 long

You could instead have:

Code:
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc:32,1/cc:11,127
1 long
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc:32,1/cch11,104
121 long div 2
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc:32,1/cc:11,86
122 long div 3
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc:32,1/cc:11,64
123 long div 4

(Just making up the volume levels there.)

I think this is what you had in mind. Let's develop it a bit more ...

Things can get a bit out of hand if you do this for every long articulation you have. It might be nice to abstract out the different divisi levels out into separate programs and all into a separate group. So something like:

Code:
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc:32,1
1 long

//! c=long i=note-whole g=4 o=cc:11,127
120 unison
//! c=long i=note-whole g=4 o=cc:11,104
121 div 2
//! c=long i=note-whole g=4 o=cc:11,86
122 div 3
//! c=long i=note-whole g=4 o=cc:11,64
123 div 4

The drawback of this approach stems from a known issue with groups (and either extremely difficult or impossible for me to workaround) in which Reaper (obviously) only chases the last program change on a given channel. So if you have 3 program changes on channel 1 for 3 different groups, only the last one is chased.

A workaround is actually to move the divisi programs into a separate bank, and configure that bank on a dedicated source MIDI channel (say 16):

Code:
//! g="Utilities" n="Divisi" f=!chase
Bank 1 1 Divisi
//! c=long i=note-whole g=4 o=cc:11,127
120 unison
//! c=long i=note-whole g=4 o=cc:11,104
121 div 2
//! c=long i=note-whole g=4 o=cc:11,86
122 div 3
//! c=long i=note-whole g=4 o=cc:11,64
123 div 4

Your track configuration would look something like:

div1.PNG

Resulting in a main UI that looks like:

div2.PNG

Then because all divisi related programs are on channel 16, as long as you avoid this channel for other things, chasing will work as expected. Technically in dedicating this channel to this purpose you wouldn't need to use articulation groups anymore.

This works if you're mocking up divisi with polyphonic patches all on the same channel, but I prefer to split this out to a separate MIDI channel per divisi part. The main benefit is that you can use different CC curves for each part. Another advantage is you can still mockup the divisi parts with monophonic patches such as legato.

So that now looks like:

Code:
//! g="Utilities" n="Divisi" f=!chase
Bank 1 1 Divisi
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc@1:11,127
120 unison
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc@1:11,104/cc@2:11,104
121 div 2
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc@1:11,86/cc@2:11,86/cc@3:11,86
122 div 3
//! c=long i=note-whole o=cc@1:11,64/cc@2:11,64/cc@3:11,64/cc@4:11,64
123 div 4

A third benefit is that you can use different patches for different parts if you want.

Consider an example which uses Spitfire Chamber Strings (as shown above) where you have a 3-way divisi but want the third divisi part playing con sordino. Here I'd pull in another longs patch on channel 2, and con sord on channel 3. I'd set them both to UACC so that I can reuse those channels for other patches later, and continue to switch articulations across all channels using Reaticulate. So now that looks like:

div3.PNG

And this would be pretty cool if it actually worked. :)

It works fine ad hoc but there's some issue during transport playback where the divisi programs aren't registering with the Reaticulate JSFX.

There were bound to be bugs as we start poking around the edges of these use-cases. Hopefully it won't be too hard to fix.

Edit: Nevermind, it actually does work. Silly me, I had a MIDI routing matrix JSFX at the top of my FX chain explicitly filtering out channels 15 and 16 as I use those for other reasons.

Attachments

• div1.PNG
    div1.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 2
  • div2.PNG
    div2.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
but I prefer to split this out to a separate MIDI channel per divisi part. The main benefit is that you can use different CC curves for each part.
Finally i Found the guy knows what divisi have to look like) Nobody has understood me in particularly this explanation)

More than, this use-case with reaticulate can achieve the point of using several different libraries as divisi parts or unison "in one box"

It's incredibly useful to have all the divisis handed by a separate MIDI channel! I'm really enthusiastic to implement this in my main template.

Top Bottom