What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

Sorry I meant that these are the factory multi articulation patches in Inspire - they are called Multi's by OT but aren't actual Kontakt Multis. So basically its all the bank patches that can be keyswitched that come with Inspire out of the box (no customisation or anything) and I've put them in order of patch as well as a con sordino on/off switches for the strings patches (a cool feature they have using CC rather than note keyswitches).

One idea I had - it would be cool the be able to have a toggle button for the con sordino that stays highlighted when on and turns off when off... I just went with two articulations at this stage for switching as I couldn't figure out how to do it but it's working well as is.

Here's the code (updated the con sordino to a second group now)

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="01-1 Full Orchestra Multi"
Bank 12 1 BOI Full Orchestra Multi
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:5
1 sustain
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:6
40 staccato
//! c=fx i=fx o=note:7
62 fx

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="02-1 Strings Whole Ensemble Multi"
Bank 12 2 BOI Strings Whole Ensemble Multi
1 sustain immediate
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:6
2 sustain soft
//! c=short i=spiccato o=note:7
42 spiccato
//! c=short-light i=pizz o=note:8
56 pizz
//! c=long i=tremolo o=note:9
11 tremolo
//! c=long-light i=con-sord g=2 o=cc:16,127
7 con sordino on
//! c=long-light i=con-sord g=2 o=cc:16,0
6 con sordino off

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="02-2 First Chairs Whole Ensemble Multi"
Bank 12 3 BOI First Chairs Whole Ensemble Multi
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:24
1 sustain
//! c=short i=spiccato o=note:25
42 spiccato
7 con sordino on
6 con sordino off

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="02-3 High Strings 8va Multi"
Bank 12 4 BOI High Strings 8va Multi
//! c=legato i=legato o=note:24
20 legato
42 spiccato
7 con sordino on
6 con sordino off

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="02-4 Low Strings 8va Multi"
Bank 12 5 BOI Low Strings 8va Multi
//! c=legato i=legato o=note:96
20 legato
//! c=short i=spiccato o=note:97
42 spiccato
//! c=short-light i=pizz o=note:98
56 pizz
7 con sordino on
6 con sordino off

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="02-5 Violins I & II Multi"
Bank 12 6 BOI Violins I & II Multi
20 legato
42 spiccato
7 con sordino on
6 con sordino off

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="03-1 Brass Whole Ensemble Multi"
Bank 12 7 BOI Brass Whole Ensemble Multi
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:96
1 sustain immediate
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:97
2 sustain soft
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:98
40 staccato
//! c=long i=marcato o=note:99
9 marcato

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="03-2 Brass Muted Ensemble Multi"
Bank 12 8 BOI Brass Muted Ensemble Multi
1 sustain
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:97
40 staccato

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="03-3 Trumpet & Horns 8va Multi"
Bank 12 9 BOI Trumpet & Horns 8va Multi
20 legato
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:25
40 staccato
//! c=long i=marcato o=note:26
9 marcato

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="03-4 Trombones & Tuba 8va Multi"
Bank 12 10 BOI Trombones & Tuba 8va Multi
1 sustain
40 staccato
//! c=long i=marcato o=note:98
9 marcato

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="03-5 Solo Horn Multi"
Bank 12 11 BOI Solo Horn Multi
//! c=legato i=legato o=note:96
20 legato
40 staccato

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="03-6 Solo Trumpet Multi"
Bank 12 12 BOI Solo Trumpet Multi
20 legato
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:25
1 sustain vibrato
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:26
40 staccato

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="04-1 Woodwinds Whole Ensemble Multi"
Bank 12 13 BOI Woodwinds Whole Ensemble Multi
1 sustain
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:6
40 staccato
//! c=long i=trill o=note:7
70 trill half tone
//! c=long i=trill o=note:8
71 trill full tone

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="04-2 Flutes & Clarinets 8va Multi"
Bank 12 14 BOI Flutes & Clarinets 8va Multi
20 legato
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:25
1 sustain vibrato
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:26
40 staccato
//! c=long i=trill o=note:27
70 trill half tone
//! c=long i=trill o=note:28
71 trill full tone

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="04-3 Bassoons & Clarinets 8va Multi"
Bank 12 15 BOI Bassoons & Clarinets 8va Multi
20 legato
40 staccato

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="04-4 Solo Flute Multi"
Bank 12 16 BOI Solo Flute Multi
20 legato
40 staccato

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Inspire" n="04-5 Solo Clarinet Multi"
Bank 12 17 BOI Solo Clarinet Multi
20 legato
40 staccato

Last edited:
One idea I had - it would be cool the be able to have a toggle button for the con sordino that stays highlighted when on and turns off when off... I just went with two articulations at this stage for switching as I couldn't figure out how to do it but it's working well as is.
You'll still need to separate con sordino on and off into two programs, but you can improve things by putting those programs into a separate group. This way you'll have con sordino on/off always activated independent of the other articulations, so it's easy to see visually which one is active at all times. e.g.

Code:
7 con sordino on
6 con sordino off

The g=2 part places those articulations into group 2, which operates indepdently of group 1 (the default if no g attribute is specified)

Thanks for clarifying that these are out of the box patches for Inspire. Given that, they could well be good candidates for the factory banks. Does what you included cover the complete set of patches for the library?

You'll still need to separate con sordino on and off into two programs, but you can improve things by putting those programs into a separate group. This way you'll have con sordino on/off always activated independent of the other articulations, so it's easy to see visually which one is active at all times. e.g.

Code:
7 con sordino on
6 con sordino off

The g=2 part places those articulations into group 2, which operates indepdently of group 1 (the default if no g attribute is specified)

Thanks for clarifying that these are out of the box patches for Inspire. Given that, they could well be good candidates for the factory banks. Does what you included cover the complete set of patches for the library?

Nice one! I'll update them and check it out.

Yeah I went through it and they are all the patches that require keyswitching - everything else are single articulations.

One other question - with OT Metropolis Ark 1 a number of the patches have a note keyswitch for sustain (which allows polyphonic chord playing of a legato patch) and also for RR reset. All other keyswitches are note based.

I think ideally for the sustain there would be a single button on a new group which when triggered it stays held down and highlighted and when triggered again it's released. While for the RR reset it's a single click on/off that doesn't stay highlighted. That way both these functions could be integrated with the main patches.

I had a look at your demo vid again but can't figure out how I would code it on a single switch. The bohemian note-hold commands you demonstrated seemed the closest and I used your con sordino code from earlier and adapted it which works using separate on/off switches.

//! g="Orchestral Tools/Metropolis Ark 1" n="Finckenstein Strings (High) Multi" off=39

//! c=short i=note-quarter g=2 o=note-hold:0
38 sustain pedal on
//! c=short i=note-quarter g=2 o=note:1
39 sustain pedal off

**note:1 doesn't have anything attached as its just a trigger to release the sustain**
**I also used empty UAAC slots**

Thanks!

Which action are you interested in adding to the MIDI editor? Reaticulate_Main perhaps, as a way to toggle it on and off? Currently all the actions are only available in the Main section context . I could look to including at least Reaticulate_Main in the MIDI editor as well the next release, if that's what you meant.
Yes it was to start Reaticulate Main. Don't worry, as I can assign an action and call it from Metagrid or Lemur if necessary. I am trying this out on my laptop, but I think I could probably dock Reaticulate where I want once I get Reaper setup on my main DAW, which has multi monitors.

Does this actually work as good as it looks? Cause it looks pretty damn good.
A few niggles here and there found by users, but no major showstoppers. (Small tip: after installing Reaticulate, manually open an FX chain window once to workaround the fact that the Reaticulate JSFX isn't automatically scanned. This will be fixed in the next release.)

I just installed Reaper to try this out; if this is as good as everyone says, goodbye Cubase.

if this is as good as everyone says, goodbye Cubase.
Was articulation management really the last thing holding you to Cubase? It's difficult for me to imagine, but fascinating if so. I'd be very interested to learn about your experiences using Reaticulate from the perspective of a Cubase user.

Was articulation management really the last thing holding you to Cubase? It's difficult for me to imagine, but fascinating if so. I'd be very interested to learn about your experiences using Reaticulate from the perspective of a Cubase user.

I'm a classically trained composer used to score paper and working with live musicians. It's EXTREMELY difficult for me to "program" music, I am used to "writing" music and thinking about articulations completely naturally, which means not thinking about them.

I hate 90% of Cubase, especially the way it looks, it's a total aesthetic turnoff for me which kills my inspiration. The two reasons I am using it are Expression Maps and the fact that it can handle multiple MIDI ports in VEPro. Otherwise I'd be using Logic, which looks better to me, but it's stuck somewhere in the mid 2000s, around 2007 probably and also only has third party articulation switching options.

Your solution -which I tried out yesterday and it actually works phenomenally well- has all the hallmarks of well-designed software:
-Simplicity of design
-Intuitive Interface
-Easy and well documented installation and use (i.e. video tutorial)
-Free and Open Source

For these alone you deserve great congratulations. Add to that the fact that Reaper does not require a dongle and that you are actually developing this system, whereas the Expression map interface has been the same since Cubase 7 or something, and the proposition becomes extremely enticing.

Just began to use it today. What an awesome tool! I feel a bit faster with Reaticulate within Reaper than with BRSO Articulate within FL Studio, but I guess this improvement feeling depends upon other factors too. I hope it will be integrated by default to Reaper 6! (Or at least that it will remain complimentary to whatever will be integrated to Reaper 6.) Really great to see all those user contributions. The script doesn't seem very complicated once you get used to it, which makes those contributions easier.

Loving this tool @tack. I'm wondering it there's a way to tell it to grab a Kontakt snapshot? If I have an instrument with a snapshot variation I'd love to be able to access it. Any ideas?

For "Toggle", is there anyway of defining the two toggle states?
eg.
cc:30,1 = off
cc:30,127 = on

Last edited:
OK. I'll be the dumb one. I'm old, I like to keep things simple, and I'm not sure what the hell I'm looking at, here.

scratchhead2.gif

I just got an iPad and TouchOSC. The whole idea was to use the aforementioned combination to design a few custom layouts in order to enact articulations in certain Kontakt instruments running within REAPER. I thought the combination of an iPad and TouchOSC was all that was required to handle this for me.

Do I need this?

[BTW Tack - from one Imperial man to another, Reaticulate looks stunning.]

Last edited:
I'm wondering it there's a way to tell it to grab a Kontakt snapshot? If I have an instrument with a snapshot variation I'd love to be able to access it. Any ideas?
I'm afraid I'm not aware of a means for a Reaper script to change snapshots within Kontakt. A possible kludge might be to create a custom multiscript to run in Kontakt, which could then at least be controlled via some special MIDI from Reaper, but even then I don't think it's possible for a Kontakt multiscript to adjust current snapshots of the active patches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom