What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

@tack Since the pitch wheel isn't a CC controller, I wonder if there is still a way to control pitch wheel commands using Reaticulate. I have Reaticulate controlling multiple parameters of instruments via CC and keyswitches, but would like to be add pitch wheel command to the mix, since portamento is controlled by pitch wheel in some of my libraries. Any chance I can do this?
Oops, sorry Rob, I'd missed this question.

I'm afraid right now Reaticulate can't emit pitch bend messages as output events. Fair enough that it should -- I'm tracking that feature here.

About the last version (0.2.91):

CC0 sends OK (it was an unknown bug in my system and all OK after reloading Reaticulate on channels)

Articulation autoscrolling isn't working

there is a strange GUI bug (see pic.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 15.19.07.JPEG
    Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 15.19.07.JPEG
    9.2 KB · Views: 19
Articulation autoscrolling isn't working
Hm, it's working for me. Are you able to take a screen capture showing the problem? There may be some important details about your setup.

there is a strange GUI bug (see pic.)
Do you remember how you got it into this state? This can happen if you activate the articulation on every one of those channels. Middle-clicking on the articulation will clear the channel assignment (at least as far as the UI is concerned).

Do you remember how you got it into this state?

I found that simple setups work OK. But if I use Alt-Tuner (https://www.tallkite.com/alt-tuner.html) for microtune purposes, that sends MIDI to 16 channels from one track at once (separate notes with individual pitch band date to individual channels for properly working), autoscrolling isn't working. When I switch sending midi mode to one channel, all works OK with alt tuner, as you can see in this video. A sequence of plugins on the track (alt-tuner before Reaticulate) now is OK, if I set Reaticulate before alt tuner, alt tuner starts to work incorrect.

Last edited:
@Vadium I think Reaticulate is working as intended here, based on what I see in the video.

Autoscrolling only occurs when an articulation is activated. In your example, you (somehow) have all channels mapped to the Modular Plenum-E articulation -- perhaps because the alt-tuner plugin is sending program changes, or because it's sending the note which is assigned to an output event for that articulation on all channels. Each numbered box indicates the channel that is mapped to this articulation. It's just that the GUI doesn't scale well to that many channels, so it renders way outside the button. (I can fix this at some point.)

At 1:47 I guess there is a program change (or keyswitch note) on channel 1 in the MIDI item being played, which causes channel 1's articulation to be assigned to Reedpipe 4, and then to Modular Plenum-B at 1:57. And note that autoscrolling does work at 1:57 because the articulation off-screen was activated, so it scrolls into view. The JSFX plugin is sending notes on all those channels that are lighting up (with numbered boxes with the solid white background).

If all your keyswitches are coming from channel 1 and your VSTi is set to omni, then I guess you really only care to see feedback for channel 1. In that case, had you tried middle clicking the Modular Plenum-E articulation to clear the articulation assignment in the UI?

at 1:47 of previous video autoscrolling start works because I switch transmission from alt-tuner plugin to only 1 midi channel (all notes transmits to one midi channel). But it not works properly for a microtonal purpose.

additional details to my setup:

There are 3 program changes on the track Manual 1, written by right clicks.

alt-tuner plugin not introduced any additional program change messages, it only reassigns notes to individual midi channels and copies CC messages to all midi channels.
The destination is no one instrument in OMNI mode, but 16 instances of same instruments, each on an individual midi channel (for polyphonic pitch band data receiving possibility) Between Reaper and Instruments I make mirroring of a Program Change data to all midi channels by Plogue Bidule.

Log of ControlMIDI after Alt-Tuner is attached to this post.

On this video I tried middle clicking: all sounds OK, but autoscrolling isn't work. Maybe I not completely understand the concept of midi channel assignment in Reaticulate? How to assign it to 1 channel after a middle click? I need to send same program change and CC messages to all 16 instances of instruments at once, because if 3 notes will playing from a track, for example, C E G, one note will playing by 1st instrument, E note - by second instrument and G - by the third. And on all instruments must be selected same program (for example, reedpipe 4) at once. Is it possible?

Attachments

• all 16 channels log.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It's that time of the year again, where my frustrations with my main DAW have me dabbling with REAPER. :)
Currently playing around with Reaticulate and so far 2 questions have come up:
1) Is there a way to access more than 16 patches within Kontakt, i.e patches that are on pages '17-32', '33-48' and '49-64'?
2) How do you make the right dock stay above the lower dock in REAPER? currently the midi editor almost completely covers the Reaticulate window, which makes it very hard to right click articulations.
Reaticulate Dock Problem.png

Also @tack, is the delay compensation feature still anywhere on the horizon? I know you're very busy, but for me that's by far the most exciting possible new feature. :)
Thanks!

1) Is there a way to access more than 16 patches within Kontakt, i.e patches that are on pages '17-32', '33-48' and '49-64'?
You're effectively asking if Reaper can address Kontakt ports B-D, and it can't. At least not directly. But it's possible to use some additional tricks to accomplish this. See this post (and my post just after) for how you can use Reaticulate with FlexRouter to address 64 different patches.

2) How do you make the right dock stay above the lower dock in REAPER? currently the midi editor almost completely covers the Reaticulate window, which makes it very hard to right click articulations.
You know, I'm not even sure how you got that layout. :)

For me, attaching a docker to the main window and assigning it either left or right consumes the full height of the Reaper window. There must be some option somewhere for the sort of layout you ended up with but I'm not sure. I'll play with it a bit more tonight but meanwhile maybe someone else reading this has some ideas.

Also @tack, is the delay compensation feature still anywhere on the horizon? I know you're very busy, but for me that's by far the most exciting possible new feature. :)
It's on the very distant horizon, I'm afraid. So many other things to do first, and so little time. :)

Flexrouter worked perfectly, thanks! :2thumbs: And weird regarding the docker, my REAPER installation was pretty much vanilla aside from the Logic theme (it also happens in the default theme though). I'll also try my luck on the REAPER forums regarding that. :)

I'll also try my luck on the REAPER forums regarding that. :)
I'm really curious to know what the brain trust there says. Try as I might, I'm just not able to make Reaper's layout look like yours. I spent the last 15 minutes dragging dockers and tabs six ways from Sunday. :)

@tack I just bought Spitfire's Studio Strings and have been setting up an articulation bank. Everything works like a charm... Except... In SS I'm able to manually shift-click several articulations so that they're layered, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in reaticulate. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but nothing seems to work. Here's what I've tried using both locked UACC and locked UACC KS:

1. //! c=short-dark i=spiccato o=cc:32,42/cc:32,48
43 super spiccato

2. //! c=short-dark i=spiccato o=cc:32,42/48
43 super spiccato

3. //! c=short-dark i=spiccato o=cc:32,42,48
43 super spiccato

1. //! c=short-dark i=spiccato o=cc:32,42/cc:32,48
43 super spiccato

2. //! c=short-dark i=spiccato o=cc:32,42/48
43 super spiccato

3. //! c=short-dark i=spiccato o=cc:32,42,48
43 super spiccato
Only the first syntax is correct. Multiple output events are separated by a /, so #3 is ruled out. And with #2, the second output event is just "48" which isn't valid. So #1 is the right syntax, but ...

In SS I'm able to manually shift-click several articulations so that they're layered, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in reaticulate. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but nothing seems to work. Here's what I've tried using both locked UACC and locked UACC KS
... you won't be able to do that using UACC because it doesn't have a way to layer from a MIDI event perspective. You send discrete CC32 events with no real way to signal they should be batched together. I suppose the Spitfire patch itself could have some logic like "if I get N events within 10ms process them all as layered articulations" but it doesn't behave like this.

I was actually going to say something similar about UACC KS. The idea is similar, except instead of CC32 we're sending a single note at different velocities, and the velocity value controls which articulation is selected. (It's supposed to be the same values as regular UACC but now that I look at it, with the patch I'm testing with, longs have a different number. It's 1 for UACC, and 32 for UACC KS. Sigh.) So it's different than with traditional keyswitches, where you can have a sequence like:

note 30 on, note 31 on, note 32 on, note 32 off, note 31 off, note 30 off

With UACC KS you're sending the same notes:

note 0 vel 30 on, note 0 vel 31 on, note 0 vel 32 on, note 0 off

I actually didn't expect it to layer, but in fact the Spitfire patches do support this with UACC KS. I tested this with Chamber Strings Ensembles:

Code:
//! c=long i=note-whole o=note:0,32
1 long
//! c=long-light i=con-sord o=note:0,7
7 con sord
//! c=long-dark i=sul-pont o=note:0,18
18 sul pont
//! c=long-dark i=note-whole o=note:0,7/note:0,18/note:0,32
126 super combo

And now that I RTFM (in my defense TFM is pretty new!), layering is explicitly supported. Excellent.

So if you were not getting correct results with UACC KS, the likely culprit was your output event syntax. Hopefully the above examples helps.

I might be tempted to switch all the factory banks over to UACC KS for this reason, except that, it must be said, in past UACC KS was a complete mess, and I'm reluctant to make that kind of a leap without thorough testing.

Great question!

@tack, back with another question. Is there a way, through UACC to control the options in Spitfire instruments, like turning on an off transpose? It would be cool to be able to create an articulation that instantly transposes one instrument in a multi for a nice octave sound.

EDIT: Nevermind. I stupidly didn't realize you could set the on/off transpose button to a CC. Thanks anyway!

EDIT 2: Now I suppose the next question is, is there a way to change the value of the transposition after turning it on? I can set it to a specific value and leave it, but what if I decide I want 5ths or 7ths or whatever?

Last edited:
EDIT 2: Now I suppose the next question is, is there a way to change the value of the transposition after turning it on? I can set it to a specific value and leave it, but what if I decide I want 5ths or 7ths or whatever?
That's not so much a Reaticulate question but a Spitfire question as to whether or not the transposition amount is automatable. Looking a patch here, I'm afraid that doesn't look possible. There doesn't seem to be a host automation parameter mapped to that value, so no way to automate it. Maybe drop Spitfire a note and see if they have any advice?

Glad you figured out the other thing though. :)

If they're using the prerelease, you can uncomment and change this line of code to change the background color. For 0.2.0, that line is here. I'm going to be adding an option to the Settings page to override the default color, because the theme background color detection only seems to work on Windows.
Downloaded the new pre-release version and, of course, lost the background color change. I can't seem to locate it in the new code? Has this changed or am I blind?

Downloaded the new pre-release version and, of course, lost the background color change. I can't seem to locate it in the new code? Has this changed or am I blind?
New location (it's just a few lines below the earlier prerelease link you quoted). I plan to make this an official setting you can change in the GUI. :)

is there a way to change the value of the transposition after turning it on? I can set it to a specific value and leave it, but what if I decide I want 5ths or 7ths or whatever?

Could you use midi_transpose (JSFX) on the MIDI track after the Reaticulate JSFX, link the "Transpose Semitones" slider to whatever CC you want, and use Reaticulate to automate that before it gets sent to Kontakt? And have a separate articulation group which only affects that CC? That should let you have a "8va" or "8vb" switch (for instance) for the whole instrument.

Last edited:
Could you use midi_transpose (JSFX) on the MIDI track after the Reaticulate JSFX, link the "Transpose Semitones" slider to whatever CC you want, and use Reaticulate to automate that before it gets sent to Kontakt? And have a separate articulation group which only affects that CC? That should let you have a "8va" or "8vb" switch (for instance) for the whole instrument.
I think that would transpose all the instruments in the multi.

Top Bottom