What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

Oh my dogs, christmas was nothing like this!!

To think, some odd little edge-case capability of your tool has just solved the most vexing problem with moving my live setup to reaper.... Thank you sir!!

Where do I go to contribute? This is huge!

I also discovered that on my fast desktop computer, the reabanks creation script seems to run fine. It even loaded up all my kontakt patches without complaining.... well, at least the 20-some I've made test RPL's for so far.

So then here are a couple of hacks I've added to make this work. First I added the numbers 1-148 to the end of the articulation png. Then I added the text to the articulation.lua script to label them. Then I altered the 'reabank from focused effect' to create a reaticulation file for selecting presets. It is so quick and easy! The hardest part is creating the RPL's from vsts that don't expose presets, and that's really just a matter of selecting and saving each one from that tiny kludgey '+' menu that can't be addressed from the API....

I know people on the reaper forums have been complaining about a lack of submenus for selecting patches in vsts, particularly when the preset lists gets really long, so there may actually be an audience for this.... although if the script to create the reabank is unreliable that's a pretty big missing piece.

Anyway, here are those files. Hope you would consider making these changes to the main tree, but if not I can keep on kludgin'....

Here's a few other FRs and notes:

1.I will probably hide the midi channel selection and the filter box to save real estate. I don't see a use for the midi ch setting in performance, and the filter box is useless without a keyboard. You might consider putting in an option to hide them legitimately for this particular usage.

2.What would be more useful to me in this space would be buttons to select actual banks. I have maybe 700 kontakt presets at present, and while it's great that I can now split them into multiple banks, selecting those banks is still going to be troublesome--the stock windows/gtk menu is too small to control reliably from a touchscreen, and getting to it means pressing that tiny window icon un the upper right. Maybe you could have an option to create a set of buttons for any banks that are in the same subfolder as the current bank, or something like that? Maybe it would even make sense to sort articulations that way, as an alternative to filtering--one that doesn't require any typing...

3.If you do implement touch scrolling, please make it possible to disable it. While I am playing, I can't reliably select a button without 'micro-scrolling'.... I am very excited about being able to scroll from an encoder, though, so I will be fine with it disabled.

Thanks again!
-eric

Hi Eric ,

Sorry if I'm being dense but what do these hacks do and how does one apply/ use them?

If you need to select presets live from a touchscreen as I do, this hack is for you. Otherwise, it's probably not relevant. I don't use articulations, I'd rather just see numbers in order, so I know how far down the list I have scrolled.

I'm attaching another script that will alphabetize the RPLs of the selected vst, which can also be helpful. It only works with rpls, not the presets that your vst exposes to reaper directly, although that could be accomplished within the reabank file. I may write that one next.

Two of the files have the same names as ones in the reaticulate install folder. Replace the originals with the ones in the zip. One of them is a png that adds graphics for the numbers 1-140 to your articulation options, and the other allows you to select those options with a single character in the reabank file.

The third is a custom action will create reabank files for you with the numbering option hack. To use, open up the fx window, and verify there are presets in its dropdown menu. Then run the action. If your vst can change presets fast enough, the script will create a reabank file that reaticulate can use. Selec this reabank, and you'll see all your bank of presets as numbered choices in reaticulate. This script works on my desktop with reaktor and kontakt, but not on my laptop which is too slow.

It's working great, except that there is no way to scroll with a touchscreen. Hopefully that fix will come along soon. If it doesn't, the code is so clean and well commented, I can probably figure out a fix....

Attachments

• Sort presets of focused FX.zip
    764 bytes · Views: 4
I've pushed a new prerelease version 0.2.91, which you can download with this Reapack:

Code:
https://reaticulate.com/prerelease.xml

More detailed download instructions here.

This should be the last prerelease before 0.3.0 which I hope to have out in a few days (barring a protracted convalescence required from St Paddy's). I'd appreciate extra eyeballs willing to test it out.

No bank editor GUI yet, sorry, but it does have several new requested features.

New Features
  • When the js_ReaScriptAPI extension is installed (recommended):
    • You can now pin the Reaticulate window when floating
    • Much improved focusing behavior
  • New action "Focus articulation filter" (which works best when the js_ReaScriptAP extension is installed)
  • New action "Activate articulation slot number by CC on default channel" which can be used to activate articulations based on their position in the bank list (#58)
  • New action to insert the last activated articulation into MIDI item at edit cursor (same behavior as right clicking the articulation)
  • Various new actions to select but not activate articulations, plus an action to activate currently selected articulation (#59)
    • Running the action to activate currently selected articulation twice in rapid succession will cause it to insert into MIDI item
  • On pages that scroll, scrollbars will appear when the mouse hovers toward the right edge

Bug Fixes

Here are the changes from previous prereleases (specifically 0.2.90) since the last major release (which is 0.2.0 released on 2018-07-02):

New Features
  • Activating an articulation now scrolls it into view in the GUI (#50)
  • Articulations are now fed back to control surface (#48)
    • CC0/32 bank select indicates bank for articulation
    • Articulations can be expressed either as native program change events or custom CC events
  • Improve First Run experience (especially for portable Reaper installations) (#46)
  • Minor cosmetic improvements with drag-and-drop to reorder banks on the track configuration page

Bug Fixes
  • Ensure articulations on same MIDI tick as notes are processed before the notes (#53)

Last edited:
@woodslanding this latest prerelease supports selection-but-not-activation.

Also @Hamrock there is the new action to activate articulations by slot number that we discussed earlier.

After the promotion to 0.3.0 I'll be adding the ability to override the icon to use either numbers (e.g. for slot number of output program number) or note names (e.g. for note-based output events).

If you're not in the middle of any big projects and you're willing to give the prerelease a try, I'd appreciate the feedback on any regressions.

Thanks!

@tack

If I may make a simple request, please sort out the icon names alphabetically on the rearticulate website. Its all rather haphazard right now.

Thank you.

@woodslanding this latest prerelease supports selection-but-not-activation.

Also @Hamrock there is the new action to activate articulations by slot number that we discussed earlier.

After the promotion to 0.3.0 I'll be adding the ability to override the icon to use either numbers (e.g. for slot number of output program number) or note names (e.g. for note-based output events).

If you're not in the middle of any big projects and you're willing to give the prerelease a try, I'd appreciate the feedback on any regressions.

Thanks!

Thank you! I will fire this up and check it out this afternoon. Hopefully I won't have the problem where I touch a control on the Behringer and Reaper crashes instantly! This happened on friday when I first tried to use midi learn to assign a vst parameter to the behringer.... So I may have a debug issue to deal with before I can actually test ;)

Okay, I got the behringer working to select presets, it's AWESOME....

but.

I can't get the actual vst to change patches. I do have link to pCH midi ch 1 enabled for the vst, and I'm using the correct reabank (like I say, it displays great). Tried with both the instruments I've set up for reaticulate.

It isn't working either from an action button, OR from the actual gui. It says it's sending presets, but they don't seem to arrive. It does deselect the articulation from the list.

I haven't tried reverting to the old version. I'll try that tomorrow. Too bad I can't keep both links in repack simultaneously so I could just go back and forth.

I haven't tried reverting to the old version. I'll try that tomorrow. Too bad I can't keep both links in repack simultaneously so I could just go back and forth.
I'll give this a closer look tomorrow but wanted to say that the last stable release (0.2.0) is included in the prerelease Reapack so it's indeed possible to reinstall the different versions using the usual method with Reapack (which IIRC is under Browse and if you right click you can choose which version -- sorry, am afk and my memory is failing).

Okay, I managed to crash the script, and after restarting, it's working.

this is pretty damn epic.

not sure what I did before, but maybe a midi-learn issue or something.

ROCK ON!

Autostart doesn't seem to be working. I just saved a project, and reopened it. No reaticulate window.

Well, couldn't reproduce that bug either. stay tuned.

well, I'm still trying to find out exactly what causes it, but I'm having problems where I will get program changes on the wrong track. I'm going between tracks changing programs, and I'll change the program one track, and the track just previous gets the change instead.

I quit and restarted, and it's sticking this time.

I deleted the third track. Now both tracks get the program change every time.

@tack Since the pitch wheel isn't a CC controller, I wonder if there is still a way to control pitch wheel commands using Reaticulate. I have Reaticulate controlling multiple parameters of instruments via CC and keyswitches, but would like to be add pitch wheel command to the mix, since portamento is controlled by pitch wheel in some of my libraries. Any chance I can do this?

Top Bottom