What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

I just finished integrating it into my template. Fantastic. No performance hit (yet) and works while MIDI tracks are soloed.

One downside so far: I have to enable Step Recording to input program changes. I'm being nitpicky - it's just two clicks, but if it can be done so that right-clicking the articulation adds it without enabling Step Rec, it's gonna be even better.

@tack - This looks amazing and since I'm about to build a template in Reaper I'll be integrating it. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Thanks for your work on this, much appreciated!!

...ng\REAPER\Scripts\Reaticulate\\app\screens\installer.lua:49: attempt to call a nil value (field 'SNM_MoveOrRemoveTrackFX')

Any idea?

Installed the latest one. Now when I click Add Reaticulate FX, nothing happens.
Ah, I think you might be bit by a known bug (which was fixed, just hasn't been released yet). Try loading the Add FX window, as if you were going to manually insert any FX, close the window, and then try clicking the button?

Hopefully that works because I'm starting to run out of ideas. ;)

Hey Tack I got it all set up and it's awesome!

Couple of things I couldn't figure out which may be due to my theme/pref settings..

I can't move the program change positions around with the mouse like I can midi notes. I can input when I enable the step recorder but after that the program change events are stuck where they land unless I delete and redo them. Is this usual behaviour? Maybe it's my settings..

Secondly - is there a way to have the reaticulate GUI in the right side docked in the midi editor? I worked around it by placing the floating midi editor window next to it over the main window which works but was wondering if there was a way to integrate it. I also tried docking the midi editor like in your video but it diesn't go all the way to the bottom and stops (and is covered) by the midi editor.

Amazing work on this and so generous to make it open source!

Thanks

Erin

I can't move the program change positions around with the mouse like I can midi notes. I can input when I enable the step recorder but after that the program change events are stuck where they land unless I delete and redo them. Is this usual behaviour? Maybe it's my settings..

You should be able to move them. Try near the lower end of the stem, they're a bit hard to "pick up".

As Aaron said, this is currently rather finicky with Reaper. I do also find it's easier to grab at the top or bottom of the step, but it's still not 100%. I wish they would improve that.

Secondly - is there a way to have the reaticulate GUI in the right side docked in the midi editor? I worked around it by placing the floating midi editor window next to it over the main window which works but was wondering if there was a way to integrate it. I also tried docking the midi editor like in your video but it diesn't go all the way to the bottom and stops (and is covered) by the midi editor.
Unfortunately if you have the MIDI editor in its own floating docker, although you can move Reaticulate to that docker, Reaper doesn't allow you to lay out the floating docker such that Reaticulate is mounted on the right side. That kind of flexible layout only seems possible on the main window.

Not sure why you're having problems reproducing my layout in the video. I have the MIDI editor docked at the bottom, and Reaticulate docked at the right. Drag the Reaticulate tab such that when you float it over the right side of the main window, there is a vertical blue bar spanning the full height of the window, and then drop it there. At least this is how it works for me. Maybe have a quick second glance at the video at 3:50? It would be important to ensure the MIDI editor itself is docked and attached to the bottom of the main window as opposed to floating (in which case it would be obscured by the MIDI editor as you described).

As Aaron said, this is currently rather finicky with Reaper. I do also find it's easier to grab at the top or bottom of the step, but it's still not 100%. I wish they would improve that.

The legend says the actual pixel you have to click to grab it changes every time you do it.

You should be able to move them. Try near the lower end of the stem, they're a bit hard to "pick up".

Thanks Gents,

I think it might be because I changed the mouse modifiers from the default (as I'm a Cubase deserter).

I'd set my mouse modifier in 'MIDI CC Event - Left Click/Drag' to 'Edit CC Events' but have now added ctrl+alt modifier to 'Move CC Event - Just Move'. It now allows me to move the program changes however when I do the name of the articulation disappears and a number appears in it's place like '64-2-0' and then program change no longer works. If I then move it around some more along the timeline the articulation name randomly changes to different articulations names or numbers as I do while the Program change still doesn't work. I think it may be changing to different articulation name from previous programs changes I have inserted and then deleted, like it's still seeing them or something?

Is it possible to tell me what mouse modifier setting you guys are using?

@tack, stupid question maybe. I tried to add a Toolbar shortcut for Reaticulate in the Midi Editor, and I couldn't. I would've thought that this is a script that only works with the Midi Editor? Be nice if one could dock it with the Track List

Ah, I think you might be bit by a known bug (which was fixed, just hasn't been released yet). Try loading the Add FX window, as if you were going to manually insert any FX, close the window, and then try clicking the button?

Hopefully that works because I'm starting to run out of ideas. ;)
This works. Thanks!

Last edited:
It now allows me to move the program changes however when I do the name of the articulation disappears and a number appears in it's place like '64-2-0' and then program change no longer works. If I then move it around some more along the timeline the articulation name randomly changes to different articulations names or numbers as I do while the Program change still doesn't work. I think it may be changing to different articulation name from previous programs changes I have inserted and then deleted, like it's still seeing them or something?
It could be because you are moving your mouse up and down while dragging the program changes. It changes their value. Try setting your default mouse modifier to Move CC event on one axis only.

It could be because you are moving your mouse up and down while dragging the program changes. It changes their value. Try setting your default mouse modifier to Move CC event on one axis only.

Thanks so much Syneast!! That was the issue.

Not sure why you're having problems reproducing my layout in the video. I have the MIDI editor docked at the bottom, and Reaticulate docked at the right. Drag the Reaticulate tab such that when you float it over the right side of the main window, there is a vertical blue bar spanning the full height of the window, and then drop it there. At least this is how it works for me. Maybe have a quick second glance at the video at 3:50? It would be important to ensure the MIDI editor itself is docked and attached to the bottom of the main window as opposed to floating (in which case it would be obscured by the MIDI editor as you described).

I'll need to investigate further but I think it's because of the theme I was using - I Logic free. I found a nice solution though.. I've placed the floating midi editor on screen so it sits over the main window with Reaticulate to the right, the selected track channel strip to the left and the Transport at the bottom. It works nicely as I have everything there so I'm happy :)

@tack, stupid question maybe. I tried to add a Toolbar shortcut for Reaticulate in the Midi Editor, and I couldn't. I would've thought that this is a script that only works with the Midi Editor?
Which action are you interested in adding to the MIDI editor? Reaticulate_Main perhaps, as a way to toggle it on and off? Currently all the actions are only available in the Main section context . I could look to including at least Reaticulate_Main in the MIDI editor as well the next release, if that's what you meant.

Be nice if one could dock it with the Track List
I could see why that'd be handy. Unfortunately that's well outside my control. Actually in general I wish Reaper had more flexibility on how the main window and even floating dockers could be arranged.

Last edited:
My default action for MIDI CC event left click/drag is also Move CC event on one axis only. Indeed, with this setting, if you click the program and drag vertically, it will alter the program number, causing either different articulations to show or an unassigned program number like 64-2-0. The way to absolutely prevent inadvertently changing the program numbers during dragging would be to bind another modifier to "Move CC horizontally".

I also have "Allow selecting a single event in a CC lane with a mouse click" enabled.

The MIDI editor has some actions to move CC events left/right as well as moving events by mousewheel (or CC) that might improve the workflow in repositioning program changes.

My default action for MIDI CC event left click/drag is also Move CC event on one axis only. Indeed, with this setting, if you click the program and drag vertically, it will alter the program number, causing either different articulations to show or an unassigned program number like 64-2-0. The way to absolutely prevent inadvertently changing the program numbers during dragging would be to bind another modifier to "Move CC horizontally".

I also have "Allow selecting a single event in a CC lane with a mouse click" enabled.

The MIDI editor has some actions to move CC events left/right as well as moving events by mousewheel (or CC) that might improve the workflow in repositioning program changes.

Thanks for the tips! Moving with the mousewheel could be great and I'll investigate that.

I'm also putting the finishing touches to the OT Berlin Orchestra Inspire multi Bank for Reaticulate which are working well. Is Github the best place to put them for others to access?

Is Github the best place to put them for others to access?
I think GitHub would be good for banks being submitted for inclusion into the factory banks. But I think that's only suitable for banks that describe patches as they are out-of-the-box. For custom multis, I'm not really sure that makes sense for the factory banks.

And yet surely that work would be useful to other users, even if as a starting point for further customizations. It occurs to me that some kind of marketplace of user submitted banks would be quite useful, even if they aren't part of the factory banks. Something like Reaper Stash, perhaps.

I can see that being a longer term goal. For now, assuming you're talking about a custom multi, I'd say paste it here (or perhaps on the Reaticulate thread in the Reaper forum) for others to use as inspiration, and meanwhile I'll give some thought to that Stash-like idea for the future.

Much bigger problems to tackle meanwhile. But even just dropping your work on a forum post will be quite useful to other users -- and even to me, because it's invaluable for me to see how users think and want to interact with Reaticulate.

Thanks!

Top Bottom