What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
(See the 0.5.13 release post.)

Hello REAPER users,

I'd like to announce an alpha preview release of Reaticulate: an articulation management system for REAPER.

reaticulate.com

There are other solutions to this problem available of course, but I believe Reaticulate offers a few unique things.

A few highlights:
  • Simple, (hopefully) attractive, dockable UI
  • Highly flexible output events to control the underlying patches in just about every imaginable configuration
  • Articulations are chased and clearly labeled on the piano roll
  • Coexists with manual triggering of instrument keyswitches
  • A number of factory banks for a variety of vendors are bundled to get you started
  • Free and open source

reaticulate-screenshot.png

pianoroll.png

Reaticulate is installable via ReaPack: https://reaticulate.com/release.xml

As this is an initial alpha preview release there are a few things missing, and probably a few things unintentionally broken. Notably, there is not yet a GUI for creating custom banks, so you'll have to edit bank files by hand and learn a bit about Reaticulate's custom markup used to extend reabank files. This is all documented, although the documentation, as with everything else, is a WIP. :)

If you can stand my rambling, I've done a video to cover the features and operation of Reaticulate. Even if you tune out after the 2 minute mark, you should have a pretty good sense of what it's about.

I welcome all bug reports, suggestions, and other feedback, either here, or on the GitHub issue tracker.

[Cross-posted on the Reaper forum, vi-control.net, and thesoundboard.net. Apologies if you frequent multiple forums and this is feeling spammy.]

Last edited:
I mentioned this in another forum already, this articulation management makes dreams come true and surpasses the way that Cubase does it with Expression Maps. I'm so celebrating you, Jason!

Oh this looks good. I look forward to checking it out when I have some free time. Does it work with the score editor too?

Does it work with the score editor too?
I'm afraid there's no special integration with the notation view right now. The main reason for that is articulation maps are going to change everything (when they are eventually available) and I'd rather wait and see what that solution looks like and how Reaticulate can align with them before investing a lot of effort into a custom implementation to support the notation view.

But if I complete most of the other things I'm planning for the beta and find myself with some free time, I may look into whether there is a relatively easy way to do it.

I mentioned this in another forum already, this articulation management makes dreams come true and surpasses the way that Cubase does it with Expression Maps. I'm so celebrating you, Jason!
Thanks Stevie for your kind support :)

I hadn't realised that program changes actually show up in the controller lane in Reaper! I'm going to see if I can implement this in my notation to KS and UACC scripts, should work nicely alongside Reaticulate

Tried myself to add some new banks for Albion II & III with success, which is great.
Great! Stevie also contributed banks for these libraries so they should also be available in the factory banks in the next release. (Of course you can continue to use your own without any conflict as long as they're in your user Reaticulate.reabank file.)

Great! Stevie also contributed banks for these libraries so they should also be available in the factory banks in the next release. (Of course you can continue to use your own without any conflict as long as they're in your user Reaticulate.reabank file.)

That's great. I have Spitfire percussion redux also so I can contribute myself too. But I will let you know.
Now, I'm wondering is there a chance for handling n bank files? Now, everything is stored in one file factory + user and it's finally merged into one "tmp" file.
What if you change things a little bit to include folder with banks like

/banks/spitfire_percussion.bank
/banks/spitfire_css.bank
/banks/spitfire_albion_one.bank
/...

It would be easier to handle what is already included or not, or easier for exchange.

The real goal is to build a GUI to manage the banks, so editing bank files won't be necessary. Then improved organization can be done via the GUI and it doesn't matter what the underlying files look like.

The real goal is to build a GUI to manage the banks, so editing bank files won't be necessary. Then improved organization can be done via the GUI and it doesn't matter what the underlying files look like.

Understand of course. For me, even like this is ok, but I'm coming from dev world :)

That's great. I have Spitfire percussion redux also so I can contribute myself too. But I will let you know.
Now, I'm wondering is there a chance for handling n bank files? Now, everything is stored in one file factory + user and it's finally merged into one "tmp" file.

/banks/spitfire_percussion.bank
/banks/spitfire_css.bank
/banks/spitfire_albion_one.bank
/...

It would be easier to handle what is already included or not, or easier for exchange.

I agree, handling the files as single banks would be easier.
The problem I encountered, when creating my own banks, is the fact that we have to keep track of the taken and free bank numbers. Of course, this issue is not relevant anymore, when we use a GUI based editor, because the GUI would assign them automatically, I guess.

I've gotten this error a couple of times and I'm not sure what it means. I first got it when I chose "section" under the Cinematic Strings 2 bank that you provided. I got it again when I attempted to add my own user bank:

"Application Support/REAPER/Scripts/Reaticulate//app/lib/rtk.lua:36: attempt to index a nil value (local 's')"

Any idea how to fix this?

Top Bottom