What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

Maybe right-click articulation inserts at edit cursor as today, and ctrl-right-click inserts at first selected note.
For now the quick way for me is mouse modifier (Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+left click on note) with assigned 2-step custom action: 1) move cursor to start of selected note 2) insert current articulation

And question about undo. If I insert 2 articulations and press undo 1 time, both articulations removed - what's wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 00.21.53.JPEG
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 00.21.53.JPEG
    15.6 KB · Views: 4
And question about undo. If I insert 2 articulations and press undo 1 time, both articulations removed - what's wrong?
Yes, undo and reaticulate is hopelessly broken. (This thread gives a flavor about why.)

I will address this in the next major release (0.4.0). I don't know if I'm going to fix undo entirely or just make it so it doesn't do bizarre things like what you described, but some of the internal design overhaul I have cooking will at least make it possible for me to improve things.

Hi Tack!
Is there a way to send messages from Reaticulate to several MIDI channels or to all 16 ch. at once? (for example, I have 16 instances of instrument, assigned from 1 to 16 ch (for different pitch band tuning and it is why I can not use OMNI mode in these instruments) and I want to switch articulations on all of them simultaneously

Hi Tack!
Is there a way to send messages from Reaticulate to several MIDI channels or to all 16 ch. at once? (for example, I have 16 instances of instrument, assigned from 1 to 16 ch (for different pitch band tuning and it is why I can not use OMNI mode in these instruments) and I want to switch articulations on all of them simultaneously

yes, would be something like o=note:34@1/note:34@2/note:34@3/.../@1/@2/@3/@4/.../@16
i think.

something like o=note:34@1/note:34@2/note:34@3/.../@1/@2/@3/@4/.../@16
yes. bank for one instrument with 51 articulations x 16 channels = .... 816 entries of 34@1, 34@2, etc)) I ask because may be there is any tricks or abbreviations like o=note@all:34 or o=note@1-8:34..

yes. bank for one instrument with 51 articulations x 16 channels = .... 816 entries of 34@1, 34@2, etc)) I ask because may be there is any tricks or abbreviations like o=note@all:34 or o=note@1-8:34..
I'm a cubase user who's only dabbled a little in reaper/reaticulate

I'd like to know if there is an easy way to send to all channels in flex router though :)

I ask because may be there is any tricks or abbreviations like o=note@all:34 or o=note@1-8:34..
There is no shorthand unfortunately. I can see a use-case for @all though, and it should be fairly easy to add that capability. So I will.

note@1-8:34 is trickier than you think, at least assuming that should be treated as a single output event. note@1-8:34 could just be syntactic sugar for note@1:34/note@2:34/note@3:34/.../note@8:34 but this would eat up 8 of your 16 allowed output events anyway. (The reason for that is boring and technical, but suffice it to say I'm encoding all the articulation information very conservatively in the JSFX and every individual bit is carefully managed.) It's not impossible, but I'd want to be very sure the use-case is worth it, and it hasn't really come up until now.

I don't think I'll put too much effort into syntactic niceties because the future expectation is that they'll be generated and managed via the GUI editor, and so those sort of shortcuts and UX improvements are best put there (where a computer isn't fussed at all about writing out all those repetitive output events ;))

I'd like to know if there is an easy way to send to all channels in flex router though :)
Assuming I understand you right, yes it is, with a bit of cleverness anyway. See this post.

There is no shorthand unfortunately. I can see a use-case for @all though, and it should be fairly easy to add that capability. So I will.

note@1-8:34 is trickier than you think, at least assuming that should be treated as a single output event. note@1-8:34 could just be syntactic sugar for note@1:34/note@2:34/note@3:34/.../note@8:34 but this would eat up 8 of your 16 allowed output events anyway. (The reason for that is boring and technical, but suffice it to say I'm encoding all the articulation information very conservatively in the JSFX and every individual bit is carefully managed.) It's not impossible, but I'd want to be very sure the use-case is worth it, and it hasn't really come up until now.

I don't think I'll put too much effort into syntactic niceties because the future expectation is that they'll be generated and managed via the GUI editor, and so those sort of shortcuts and UX improvements are best put there (where a computer isn't fussed at all about writing out all those repetitive output events ;))

Assuming I understand you right, yes it is, with a bit of cleverness anyway. See this post.
thanks Jason, but I meant sending to all channels simultaneously.

I currently use it to send to different channels with no problem but not at the same time.

would be useful for adjusting mic levels rather than having to set each individually

hanks Jason, but I meant sending to all channels simultaneously.

I currently use it to send to different channels with no problem but not at the same time.
Ah, I see. Yeah unfortunately that's not something FlexRouter can do currently.

Cool. Ideally now when you select a track in Reaper, Lemur would update automatically to reflect the instrument selection. I skimmed the video and it looks like you can do this kind of thing with Lemur using arbitrary MIDI messages, it's just he decided to use polypressure? (I'd try it myself but it's fairly expensive and it has all the trappings of abandonware.)

Wouldn't be difficult to augment the "CC feedback to Control Surface" feature that's in the next version of Reaticulate. Right now it just emits last-seen CC values when a track is selected. I could probably add some special per-track configuration to send an additional specific MIDI event to the control surface when the track is selected.

I would love to have that feature built in to Reaticulate. Some sort of Midi event sent out to a control surface depending on what articulation bank is selected on the selected track would be really helpful.

(Also, I really love and appreciate it as is. Thank you!)

Oh, so a midi event is being sent to a control surface on cc0 on track select? Thanks for you patience with this! I’m away from my rig for four days but I think I know enough now to figure out how to what I’m trying to do in Lemur now.

Oh, so a midi event is being sent to a control surface on cc0 on track select?
Doh, sorry, I misread -- not on track select. It happens when an articulation is activated, in which case it sends the bank select event and then the program change (or CC if you have elected to represent articulations as CCs to the control surface instead).

I'd like to better understand how Lemur would work here. I mean, I could send the bank select message on track change, but in the case where a track has multiple banks, the act of receiving one bank select message shouldn't necessarily replace the previous bank.

In fact, in the future, bank MSB/LSBs will become somewhat inconsequential. Banks will still have an MSB/LSB of course (as they must per MIDI), but they will be randomly assigned when a user imports the bank on their system.

I was thinking then perhaps a text event could be sent with the bank name. Reaticulate really could send just about anything. I just need to have a better handle on the use-case and what will provide different control surfaces the most flexibility.

So advice quite welcome.

I don't have much experience with Lemur other than a few months of trying to get a touch screen set-up for myself so I am sure there is someone better qualified to tell you how best to set up Reaticulate to work with Lemur in this way. I know some people use Polypressure (or I guess, Poly Aftertouch in Reaper speak?) or Midi SysEx. Polypressure would be most helpful to me so I could use the Lemur template Mikhel Zilmer made available here, originally intended to be used with Cubase and Lemur that selected banks of articulations by midi channel and poly pressure data.

Would it be possible to have the information sent on track select be user defined? Someone could then set a different ID for tracks that use multiple banks.

Thank you!

Would it be possible to have the information sent on track select be user defined? Someone could then set a different ID for tracks that use multiple banks.
Hm, yes, it would be after the aforementioned internal design overhaul, and that would conveniently side-step the problem of randomly generated bank numbers I mentioned earlier. Also, syncing to control surfaces is fringe enough that everyone's setup seems to be different, so just by allowing arbitrary user-definable MIDI data to be emitted on track select would probably satisfy the most number of people.

I'll probably start off by just allowing users to enter raw MIDI data (in hex codes) to be emitted and then develop the UX if it turns out enough people use it (and struggle with raw MIDI codes). I'm thinking of allowing up to 100 bytes of MIDI data. Surely that's enough for everyone? ;)

I'm tracking that feature here for a future release.

Using .030 and have discovered that Reaticulate sometimes crashes version 5.980 of Reaper. I click on an articulation and boom—Reaper abruptly crashes. It seems random, and happened with the previous version of Reaticulate as well, so I was hoping that installing the update would help. And while it seemed to last longer this time, it still crashes. I'm using a Spitfire instrument with UACC KS on a Mac.

I will test out previous versions of Reaper when I have a chance, but I didn't have this problem until I updated Reaper.

I'm using a Spitfire instrument with UACC KS on a Mac.
Sounds like the plugin is crashing and taking Reaper out with it. Does the behavior change if you tell Reaper to run the instrument FX as a dedicated process? If the plugins fails but Reaper stays alive that corrobates the hypothesis that the plugin is crashing.

Out of curiosity when you say Spitfire instrument is this Kontakt or their proprietary player?

Top Bottom