What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

Is there a full repository of all these instruments anywhere? It seems like there must be more than what I see on GitHub. Most specifically, I'm looking for Met Ark 1-5 SINE versions (not Kontakt). Plus other SINE libraries like Jxl brass,perc, Tallinn, Salu, modus?

Is there a full repository of all these instruments anywhere? It seems like there must be more than what I see on GitHub. Most specifically, I'm looking for Met Ark 1-5 SINE versions (not Kontakt). Plus other SINE libraries like Jxl brass,perc, Tallinn, Salu, modus?

Yep, I know this one as I mentioned. It's just the Met Arks are wrong so I'm assuming they're the Kontakt versions. I'm looking for SINE versions.
You could open up the Kontakt ones and revise them as needed.

The OTR download package has all of the Ark reabanks included as well as VEPro projects and track templates for them. www.orchestraltemplateforreaper.com
Ah, perfect, Thank you! (I did prune the list manually down from 1400+ instruments.)

Will these eventually be added to the official Reaticulate GitHub list? It would be nice to be able to grab an individual product from the list when I bought it, rather than sorting through the complete catalog.

Ah, perfect, Thank you! (I did prune the list manually down from 1400+ instruments.)

Will these eventually be added to the official Reaticulate GitHub list? It would be nice to be able to grab an individual product from the list when I bought it, rather than sorting through the complete catalog.
You're welcome! Glad that worked for you. It wouldn't hurt anything to just copy/paste the whole list into your reaticulate.reabank file... unless you are just wanting to keep it streamlined. It would save you some filtering for sure. ha.

As for Github, @tack is free to use my work as he would like. I know he has a copy of all of it. Per our conversations, I think he was wanting to standardize the reabanks before posting them on his official Github to better represent a 1:1 "out of the box" configuration for each reabank. I don't want to speak for him fully on that, but this is just going off our last conversation.

I think the potential issue for him using all of the OTR banks "as is" is that even though most of them are configured "out of the box," there are some workflow decisions I made in their designs that improve track templates for large orchestral projects for OTR... so basically they are not all exactly out-of-the-box. Some of these decisions were due to quirks in the OT design decisions for a few instruments. Sometimes it was to avoid a bug in the library that many users may not notice. Sometimes it was to include multiple libraries in one reabank (such as Berlin Strings Special Bows and Berlin Mains so that all articulations are on one track). Sometimes it was to include multiple articulation sets in one reabank (such as Peter Vasks Strings) so that gestures and standard articulations are all on one track per instrument. This is also why I include track templates for all of them. Basically a one-stop process within OTR to make sure the OT libraries just work when you load them up. The user doesn't have to think about what they should do to make them work.

In another example, there are a handful of instances where double clicking on an instrument in SINE will load the keyswitches differently than if you drag the instrument into the articulation list. Those bugs have been reported to OT and most have been fixed as far as I know, but that still requires some decision making in the reabank design which might influence @tack's decision on how he wants them to be designed for his Github.

I also take a very direct approach of not defining icons or colors and I make sure to just auto-increment the Articulation IDs rather than choosing articulation IDs based off a standardized approach. It certainly doesn't hurt anything with my approach. For OTR, this just enhances the speed at which I can role them out and integrate them. But again, these are decisions that @tack might approach differently for what he wants posted. For example, he may want all legato articulations to use a certain articulation id that is standardized, etc.

Anyway, that's a long answer, but I hope it helps clear up some details on the OTR reabanks vs. the ones posted on his Github.

Thanks, @storyteller that makes sense. At the very least, all the work you've done will make creating a 'more standardized' reabank that much easier. For my needs, this worked perfectly in my minimalist template and solved my SINE articulation workflow in one stroke.

I've mentioned this previously, but I'm working on a Reaticulate Stash website where users can discover and contribute banks, because the folder in the repo on GitHub is just terrible for users and really unpleasant to manage.

My original vision of that folder was to store a curated list of banks that met certain quality standards but I just don't have the time to manually police it. So Reaticulate Stash will allow sharing and discovery, with some automated feedback around obvious quality issues (notably by rejecting syntactically invalid or otherwise obviously broken submissions), with a voting system where users can rate banks, because I obviously can't validate banks I don't own the libraries to.

I actually think right now this issue (bank discovery and sharing) is the most critical gap with Reaticulate. I used to think it was the lack of a GUI bank editor, and that's a very close second, but there's quite a lot of content out there for different libraries already (a significant amount of that in OTR).

But that project has become an ADHD rabbit hole. (Exhibit A.) And my hacking time is limited, so I have to tactically pick my battles. Blah blah blah, you guys know the drill, I'm a broken record. :)

So that's why I haven't ripped out the mountain of work Jonathan did for OTR. If I'm doing anything in along those lines, it's to work on Reaticulate Stash.

0.5.13 is a hotfix for the 0.5 series of releases.

See also the release notes for 0.5.

Installing
If you're a new user (not upgrading), just follow these installation instructions.

Upgrading
If you've installed using ReaPack, you can upgrade to this release by following the updating instructions.

Here are the changes since 0.5.11:

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed bug where quickly double-running the "Activate articulation slot number by CC on default channel" was not inserting the articulation in the current MIDI item
  • Fixed another crash that could occur with some malformed/invalid banks
(Note: 0.5.12 was discarded due to an improper build process.)

Last edited:
I flubbed the build process for 0.5.12 and it inadvertently included some debug logs and other misc in-development stuff from rtk.

I've discarded v0.5.12 and rushed out a new build with the right version of rtk as v0.5.13.

So if you just updated from ReaPack and were wondering why all of a sudden a bunch of nonsensical debug logs were popping up in REAPER's console, please run the update again.

Sorry for the incontinence [sic].

@tack I'm curious to know a couple of things.

1. I have a separate keyboard set up to switch to various articulations in reaticulate on channel16. I assigned each key to a script I cobbled from one of your reaticulate scripts to accomplish this:

Code:
local articulationID = 1
local cmdlist = reaper.GetExtState("reaticulate", "command")
local cmd = ' activate_articulation=' .. articulationID .. ',' .. articulationID .. ',2,127,1'
reaper.defer(function()
    reaper.SetExtState("reaticulate", "command", (cmdlist or '') .. cmd, false)
end)

Unfortunately, this only works when Reaticulate is open on screen. If I close Reaticulate and select the track, the articulation switches don't work. So I'm wondering if there is a way to make it work when Reaticulate is closed.

2. I keep Reaticulate docked when it's open. But when I switch screen sets I'd like it to either automatically undock, or switch to another docking position. Is there a way for me to isolate the script for the docking command toggle in Reaticulate so that I can include it in a custom screenset action?

Last edited:
@robgb

So I'm wondering if there is a way to make it work when Reaticulate is closed.

No, the Reaticulate GUI script is the thing that handles all the commands dispatched by the actions. I do want to refactor this in future, to move this kind of stuff to a headless (no GUI window) script, which would also facilitate another idea I have to support a quick popup one-shot picklist for articulations that could be used from the MIDI editor.

But as it is right now, the Reaticulate_Main script needs to be running to handle any of Reaticulate's functions, except for the specific task of translating Program Changes to articulation output events which as you know is handled by the per-track JSFX.

Is there a way for me to isolate the script for the docking command toggle in Reaticulate so that I can include it in a custom screenset action?

Unfortunately not currently, but it's a pretty small change so I can add actions for this in the next minor release. I've created an issue on GitHub to track it.

another idea I have to support a quick popup one-shot picklist for articulations that could be used from the MIDI editor.
That would be amazing - right click on a note and choose the articulation from a context menu? Would the reabank format need extending to include menu hierarchy?

Another feature that would be amazing is if the articulation was attached to the note head, and moved with the note head.

right click on a note and choose the articulation from a context menu? Would the reabank format need extending to include menu hierarchy?
I don't believe REAPER provides ReaScripts this level of extensibility. So it would be more along the lines of running an action, which you can bind a custom shortcut to, which would pop up a window to insert an articulation.

It would only show articulations for the banks assigned to the currently selected track so I don't think a hierarchical display would be needed there.

Another feature that would be amazing is if the articulation was attached to the note head, and moved with the note head.
This unfortunately requires REAPER support which doesn't exist. And then if it ever did exist, it would require a pretty major rewrite of Reaticulate to take advantage of it. :)

REAPER gets frustratingly close with custom notation events but not quite there in terms of the required features, and unfortunately as it's currently implemented the UX would be quite bad. I've written about this a while back if you're interested in the details, but suffice it to say I believe the current approach used by Reaticulate remains the least of the available evils, despite its obvious shortcomings.

I don't believe REAPER provides ReaScripts this level of extensibility. So it would be more along the lines of running an action, which you can bind a custom shortcut to, which would pop up a window to insert an articulation.

It would only show articulations for the banks assigned to the currently selected track so I don't think a hierarchical display would be needed there.

This unfortunately requires REAPER support which doesn't exist. And then if it ever did exist, it would require a pretty major rewrite of Reaticulate to take advantage of it. :)

REAPER gets frustratingly close with custom notation events but not quite there in terms of the required features, and unfortunately as it's currently implemented the UX would be quite bad. I've written about this a while back if you're interested in the details, but suffice it to say I believe the current approach used by Reaticulate remains the least of the available evils, despite its obvious shortcomings.
Is there something like a noteChange event that you can subscribe to, and look to see if a note with a start time the same as a PC event for reaticulate is changing start time, then amend the PC start time too?

Top Bottom