What's new

Reaticulate - articulation management for REAPER - 0.5.13 now available

midi channels is an option than
as well as other normal methods to layer arts)) You can look at my solutions (but they quite project-connected). There'is also midi-bus mapper JS

Jack, I'll test it at morning) Congrats and Cheers!
P.S. I've been just overfilled by manuals of Tk and Qt and just started to feel normal in gui, so sorry for keeping silent on it...

Cool. Ideally now when you select a track in Reaper, Lemur would update automatically to reflect the instrument selection. I skimmed the video and it looks like you can do this kind of thing with Lemur using arbitrary MIDI messages, it's just he decided to use polypressure? (I'd try it myself but it's fairly expensive and it has all the trappings of abandonware.)

Wouldn't be difficult to augment the "CC feedback to Control Surface" feature that's in the next version of Reaticulate. Right now it just emits last-seen CC values when a track is selected. I could probably add some special per-track configuration to send an additional specific MIDI event to the control surface when the track is selected.

Great to hear. :)

Actually because Reaper supports OSC it is much easier to do that than in the video. I can very easily link my instrument buttons to Reaper tracks. On the Reaper side the articulation list is updated by Reaticulate and on the tablet side everything is taken care of by Lemur, no feedback from Reaticulate is necessary so far. But I will definitely test the new version!

One user submitted banks for Hollywood Brass and Woodwinds. They're just note-based keyswitches so there's certainly no reason why Reaticulate couldn't be used to control Hollywood Strings. It just comes down to creating the appropriate bank for it.
Works like a charm. Great stuff.
I had to transpose the notes by a octave in the reabank file though.
Seems like play doesnt recognize C0 as note 36 anymore as stated in the bank.
As soon as I´ll have corrected the whole bank I´ll put it up here. Maybe someone will benefit

I'd try it myself but it's fairly expensive and it has all the trappings of abandonware.
It's true that the user forum is offline but they recently had an update and I also heard that they hired a new programmer. Hopefully they will keep supporting it because it's absolutely wonderful! Playing around with my new Lemur template makes me already wonder how I could work without it. The time gain is huge, and it boosts the creativity by making the process much more fun and streamlined.

Hi all,

I could use a bit of help testing the next version of Reaticulate before I officially release it. ...

I've installed the new version yesterday and played with it for a while - works perfectly here. I love the one new functionality that I know of: Getting the program changes into the midi items with a right-click. Previously I always forgot to disable step input again, and messed up my midi data constantly... ;)

This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to transform my articulations into menu form so that when I right click in the articulation lane I get a menu of the articulations I've set up (or can add them to the existing menu)?

@tack hey, Im currently setting up a bank for Hollywood Strings binding articulations to midi channels. So far it works really good.
Im wondering if there is a decent way to enable sordino for individual patches.
I tried to set it up this way:

//! c=long-light i=con-sord g=2 o=cc:16,127
7 con sordino on
//! c=long-light i=con-sord g=2 o=cc:16,0
6 con sordino off

Problem is that the CC is always sending to channel 1.
Is there a way to make it relative to the chosen channel in group 1 or at least to send it to all channels?

Is there a way to make it relative to the chosen channel in group 1 or at least to send it to all channels?
The Easiest way - use JS-transmitter. I say Jack, that such options are good to implement, but it will trougth a big modification of comunication protocol between script and JS as I understand.
But You can pretty easily use somwhat like:
Code:
@block
while(midirecv(offset, msg1,msg2,msg3))(
  msg1 >= 0xbo && msg1 < 0xc0 && msg2 == 16?(
    i = 0;
    while (i<16)(
      midisend(offset, 0xbo+i, msg2, msg3);
      i += 1;
    );
  ):(
   midisend(offset, msg1, msg2, msg3);
  );
);
If i haven't made mistakes

Hi Tack,
Thanks a lot for a good deal - Reaticulate seems as very good and versatile system.

few words about list of articulations appearance - what about autoscroll option? (if list not fit a screen, it needs to manually scroll for see, what articulation is selected - for example, if an instrument has about 50 articulations, like VSL, WarpIV or EW Hollywood). Also, as idea, a font size option for the list and more than one column list appearance may be a good addition.

Last edited:
Well, finally i found something:
When I copy Item to other track and applying articulation by right-click, it appears on the old (currently yet unselected) Item. It seems, that selection folows the selected track first, then takes item under cursor. I think, the better to take selected items at first, then, if nothing is selected - put art on the selected track.
[UPD] And something is going on with undo points here

Future request: by the same action it would be great to create an item if there is no one on the selected track (I think a little bit left than cursor position). If overdub is turned on, then item will grow up within record.

Last edited:
There currently isn't a way to have an output event pass through to the the existing target channels. With the prerelease version I wrote about earlier, it's possible to blast the output event to all channels and not affect future routing. This might be good enough. It would look like this:

Code:
//! c=long-light i=con-sord g=2 o=cc:16@-1,127/cc:16@-2,127/cc:16@-3,127/cc:16@-4,127/cc:16@-5,127/cc:16@-6,127/cc:16@-7,127/cc:16@-8,127/cc:16@-9,127/cc:16@-10,127/cc:16@-11,127/cc:16@-12,127/cc:16@-13,127/cc:16@-14,127/cc:16@-15,127/cc:16@-16,127
7 con sordino on

Yeah, it's not pretty. And it uses the full limit of the number of output events (16). It leverages a new feature in the next version to not affect channel routing by prefixing the target channel with a - sign. So this articulation will fire CC 16 value 127 on all 16 channels but not interfere with any routing that was set up by a previous articulation.

But here's the problem with this approach: Reaper only chases the last program change per channel. So if your "con sordino on" program appears after a spiccato articulation, say, and you manually change the articulation in your patch to long (or whatever), depending on where the edit cursor is, Reaper could chase the con sordino (resending all those CC16-127 messages) but not the spiccato.

It's a limitation of using program changes that we'll just have to live with. This is something that proper articulation map support in Reaper should theoretically address.

such options are good to implement, but it will trougth a big modification of comunication protocol between script and JS as I understand.
Some features would require such an overhaul. It essentially comes down to how much per-track state am I able to store in the JSFX. Currently I have room for about 90 bytes, and there's just only so much you can squeeze into 90 bytes. :)

Fortunately, the kind of behavior Divico asked for wouldn't depend on that. It actually wouldn't be very difficult to implement I think.

few words about list of articulations appearance - what about autoscroll option? (if list not fit a screen, it needs to manually scroll for see, what articulation is selected - for example, if an instrument has about 50 articulations, like VSL, WarpIV or EW Hollywood).
Do you mean that the list autoscrolls during playback as different articulations are selected?

Also, as idea, a font size option for the list and more than one column list appearance may be a good addition.
Ctrl-mousewheel lets you adjust the zoom level. This affects the entire Reaticulate UI though, icons included, not just font. But maybe it's good enough for you. A couple other users have asked for multiple columns of articulations and I understand the use-case but it's pretty low on my radar. :)

I think, the better to take selected items at first, then, if nothing is selected - put art on the selected track
But this only makes sense if the currently selected track and the track with the selected MIDI item have the same banks. Otherwise you could easily end up inserting a program change referenced by a bank on the selected track that just doesn't make sense on the track with the selected MIDI item. And I'm not sure I like the idea of an exception here (i.e. if the bank on the selected track is compatible with the track containing the selected MIDI item then insert it into the selected item, otherwise insert at the item under the cursor on the selected track). I think that UX starts to become too confusing.

And something is going on with undo points here
Yes, I've noticed this too. It's on the to-do list to investigate. Might be a regression due to the amount of hacking I've needed to do to prevent Reaticulate from mangling the last touched FX. This is another area where I have to go through some heroics to work around limitations in Reaper's API.

Hmm. I left click. Does right clicking do something different?
In the prerelease, right clicking an articulation always inserts a program change in the MIDI item under the edit cursor on the selected track. Even if the MIDI editor isn't open. (Or if the MIDI editor is open but step record isn't turned on.)

Last edited:
In the prerelease, right clicking an articulation always inserts a program change in the MIDI item under the edit cursor on the selected track. Even if the MIDI editor isn't open.
Ahh. Learn something new every day...

But this only makes sense if the currently selected track and the track with the selected MIDI item have the same banks.
Yep, I haven't thought about that. I understand, that my style of work is a little bit creepy from the view of usual users, but this issue really confusing because it's tricky to select the track with an already selected item. And I always forgot about that)))
Hmm... Really strong logical question. For using item as reference during record it is bad to put programm to selected. Within multiple parts of one bank editing it's uncomfortable to put one programm at time, for selecting items for midi-editor, oened in other window by right-clicking, or by navigating inside midi-editor it's bad to add programm to the selected track... Leave as it is :grin:

Hi Tack, I haven't checked the new version yet (I don't want to mess up with my current setup that works really well), but is it possible to trigger the equivalent of right clicking on the articulation by sending a CC?

Top Bottom