What's new

Reason users! A small gift...

NekujaK

Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
I know there aren't many of us on VI Control, but for any Reason users out there, here's a very modest little gift.

One of the great things about the Reason rack is how visual it is, but I always found it disappointing that Kontakt libraries are represented by the same generic Kontakt thumbnail in the rack. To remedy this, I started putting all my Kontakt libaries in Combinators, which not only enables me to add the libraries to my favorites list, including any desired 3rd party effects chain, but I can also create custom Combinator skins for each library so they are readily identifiable in the rack. And it looks pretty cool too 😎

I intended these custom skins to be purely for my personal use only (that's why my logo is stamped in the corner). But a couple of friends urged me to share them with the Reason community at large, so I'm offering them up as is. I don't claim to be an artist, so they are what they are. If you feel so inclined, please modify them as you see fit, including obliterating my logo.

These skins are designed for the original Combinator, and not the new super Combinator added in Reason 12. I'm still using Reason 11, so don't have any experience with the new Combinator.

Here are some examples of how they look in the Reason rack:

Combis1.jpg
Combis7.jpg
Combis8.jpg
Combis9.jpg

The downloadable zip file contains 735 Combinator skins (including the ones shown above). The vast majority are for Kontakt libraries, but there are also a handful of UVI, Reaktor, and Sine skins in there, as well as a set of 30 generic instrument skins.

Enjoy!

Dropbox Download link: 735 VI Combinator Skins

Last edited:
Nice! It’d be nice if the VST rack device itself was skinnable — with combinators doing automation can get a bit unwieldy sometimes, among other things. If you like loading VST patches from Reason’s browser directly, I recommend hitting the save button on the VST rack device itself to save an fxb patch — it’s the quickest and most useful way of doing this, IMO!

If you like loading VST patches from Reason’s browser directly, I recommend hitting the save button on the VST rack device itself to save an fxb patch — it’s the quickest and most useful way of doing this, IMO!
Yup, I do both, depending on the situation. The advantage of Combinators is custom skins and the ability to save an entire effects chain of devices along with the library/patch.

Updated from 210 to 229 Combinator skins. Link updated in first post.

Updated from 229 to 269 Combinator skins. Now includes 30 generic instrument skins that can apply to any library you choose.. Link updated in first post.

Here's what some of the generic skins look like:

Generic Combis 1.jpg
Generic Combis 2.jpg

Enjoy!

Updated from 316 to 362 Combinator skins. Download link updated in first post. Enjoy!

I recently upgraded from K12 to K12 Ultimate, so there are more Komplete instrument skins included, and I've also been going on little treasure hunts on Kontakt Hub, aquiring some obscure "oddball" libraries, which are also reflected in this collection.

Updated from 362 to 467 Combinator skins. Download link in first post. Enjoy!

A ton of Black Friday libraries and various other goodies have been added to the collection.

Updated from 467 to 510 Combinator skins. Download link in first post. Enjoy!

Updated from 510 to 590 Combinator skins. Download link in first post. Enjoy!

There's going to be a completely redesigned Combinator included in Reason 12, which is due in September. I have no idea if these backdrops will be compatible with the new design (probably not), but legacy devices are always retained in each new version of Reason, so these backdrops will still have a home. However, I'm sure the new Combinator is going to blow the current one out of the water!

Updated from 590 to 735 Combinator skins. See the first post for a full description and download link.

These skins are designed for the original Reason Combinator, and not the super Combinator added in Reason 12. Enjoy!

Top Bottom