What's new

Reaper vs Cubase CPU

makimakimusic

So !
I have a strange DAW situation here. I've first start with Cubase pro 10 and now I mainly work with Reaper.
That's because, on the same computer, with the same amount of plugins on two identical projects, I experiment issues with Cubase that don't happens in Reaper.

Is it known that Cubase is a CPU eater or is it is just me having a problem with the settings ?

So !
I have a strange DAW situation here. I've first start with Cubase pro 10 and now I mainly work with Reaper.
That's because, on the same computer, with the same amount of plugins on two identical projects, I experiment issues with Cubase that don't happens in Reaper.

Is it known that Cubase is a CPU eater or is it is just me having a problem with the settings ?

Cubase has awful CPU efficiency - and it is highlighted when compared to software like Reaper. Audio drivers also play a large factor. I experience the same as you.

Last time I installed Cubase (which was version 5) I remember the installer was about 600mb, Reaper's is about 11mb, that should be representative of the software's bloat level and its resource usage.

Last time I installed Cubase (which was version 5) I remember the installer was about 600mb, Reaper's is about 11mb, that should be representative of the software's bloat level and its resource usage.

For an IDE I'd agree based on my experience. With a DAW the bloat can theoretically come in form of bundled plugins with fancy GUIs that take up space but won't necessarily slow the DAW down in general.

But you know I love Reaper and I think it performs pretty damn well CPU wise. I have no experience with Cubase though, so can't make a comparison.

The anticipative fx processing in Reaper is pretty powerful. Does cubase have something similar? I noticed in Reaper it makes a huge difference whether or not you force plugins into the main thread through record arming tracks that go through many plugins. That can completely kill the performance depending on how it's routed. Maybe cubase has similar issues and you didn't notice you weren't 100% replicating the same scenario?

Or reaper is just faster ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, they have ASIO guard and it’s horrible. They made it worse on every iteration. It worked well on Cubase 8 and is a disaster on 10.

Top Bottom